Exo terra moon glo?

Struckanerve

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i use the moonlight on my T's. Either A. they cant see the light. or B. they dont mind it at all. once i turn it on at night. they come right out of there webs. as for heat it doesnt really put off alot of heat. i even have the 75 watt one. It is some what like a black light bulb. but its not a floro. its a incadescent. which are not bad for your T's. As for day light, i use a 13 watt full specturm cfl. they also love that light.

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
There could be many reasons for a person to put a bulb, red or otherwise on their T enclosure. Why are so many people being so pretentious as to say that there is no good reason for it? Just because your setups require neither extra heat nor light doesn't mean that's true for everyone.

The basic question was whether a 25 watt bulb is bad because it's too powerful. The answer is no. A bulb of that size will not overheat a normal enclosure that has any kind of ventilation at all (of course, in summer you may want to be careful, especially if your T room is very hot). As some have suggested you may want to check the temps and observe your T's behavior, but overall we are just not talking about a lot of heat or light here..

Put the bulb in a lamp next to the enclosure, not right on top of it. Light only a portion of it so the T can get away if it wants. And if you don't want your T to be aware of the light, use red.

omegian

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
thanks but that light bulb is for the night..
it is not on top of the tank so it is okay...
it is for viewing and heating purposes because the T is next to my computer which is in my room and it usually gets to about 20C

Buckshot

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
There is absolutely no need for light's on T enclosures. Leave the poor things alone.
The poor things?
Afaik my Ts have everything they want, but a pet that you cannot see is not much of a pet.
My room is pretty dark even with the roof light on.

kcpzpr

Arachnopeon
I have my tank in a very dark corner of the room, always in deep shade, so I use an almost full spectrum light 11w 6500 Kelvin compact lightball (one of thse economy ones), gives beautiful day like light, which makes the plants look really green{D and all inside stuff natural. It`s on top of a 45/25/20 glass tank, heats to 24-5 C (room temp around 21-22 whole year), earlier i used 9 w normal old style lightball, getting 26-28 C.

Did any of You see Your T`s taking sun/lightbal baths? I used to see G. Rosea and C. blue taking one after i switched the old lamp on. C. blue left her burrow few times to sit and get the heat from the lightball (climeb wall few inches to get closer), front first, and her "back" second, for 2-3 hours, mainly after meals, but very rarely (rosea used to do it all the time).

Nothing like that now with the more natural like but "cold" energy saving item.

hairmetalspider

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Afaik my Ts have everything they want, but a pet that you cannot see is not much of a pet.
Really? Well if that's your logic, maybe having a pet isn't the best choice for you.

When one takes on the responsibility of a living creature under solely their care, it is that person's job to properly do so.

That said, this is what forums are for. To obtain and apply knowledge, and there are several more experienced people, if not more, telling you that heating and or lighting is NOT necessary, and that should you have desire to want to see your tarantula, you may have to suck it up and use a flashlight or something of the sort that will not put your living creature in harm's way.
Justifying an un necessary heat lamp for purposes like "I want it to look pretty/better/natural" doesn't cut it, as that is something YOU want, not the tarantula.

The responses in this post have been more than polite and accurate in their information, and now it's really up to you if you choose to follow it. (Or anyone for that matter,)

kcpzpr

Arachnopeon
Maybe Buckshot doesn`t have heating:p When mine is cut off sometimes in winter it gets really cold in my apartment.

Truth is the temp. in T`s (even the same species) natural habitat varies so much You will NEVER know the exactly right one, probably because there isn`t any. So all caresheets saying the right one is...and no other are worthless. There are too many different factors. And one must remeber that small tank is a completely different isolated environment easy to overheat. T`s don`t need light and that`s the truth too.
But imo some of them do better with heating. I don`t think that keeping animal which "has average temp in nature" around 26-27 C in a 21-22 C temp tank would do it any harm, but You always want to provide Your T`s with the best conditions You possibly can, and that in my opinion is giving them the chance to choose. With good air flow and lightball or any other kind heating well "pointed" You can create colder and warmer parts in tank. Like with reptiles enclosures. Often, if You change the place in which the lightball is T will move it`s hiding, burrow to other place (heard it depends on degree of the sun toward the earth level). Plus, as I said before, some T`s simply like heating, maybe it`s a matter of increasing their digestion speed. I don`t think that making the tank look more natural using bio vital lightball that allows plants to grow nicely and produce oxygen, keep humidity and in completely natural way regulate the inside cilmate is harmfull to pet if You take enough care to provide moderate ground level conditions.

Peace

Last edited:

Thompson08

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
like it was said before...the t will hate the light. I think if you get a red light the t wouldn't be able to see it. But make sure the red light doesn't give off heat.

Thompson08

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The poor things?
My room is pretty dark even with the roof light on.
we are just saying that light is not good for a t...

c'est ma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just to add to the light anecdotes here...We have always had low watt incandescents (and I mean low) over our adult spider homes. Usually these are the largest size "Kritter Keeper" type tanks...ATM our 7 year-old GBB has a 15W bulb positioned ~1" over the clear plastic flip-top lid, which is also directly over her cork bark hide...This means she can climb on top of it to be closer to the light, and many's the time I've observed her up there "basking"--especially on the same days the house feels "drafty" to me. (It's not really drafty, but sort of chilly off and on in the winter, even with the thermostat at 70º.) But I've seen her up there at all times of year, for that matter...

A little light like this gives off just enough heat to provide a slight gradient she can take advantage of. And it's suitably dim for T tastes. :)

We've observed similar behavior in adult male G. rosea (2), each of whom had just the 4W night light bulb that fits in the light fixture that used to be available for KK's.

After watching these spiders, I feel bad when I don't get the burnt-out lights replaced promptly. They do seem to appreciate them. The lights also allow us to give the semblance of a daily photoperiod w/o having to worry about the room lights, window light, etc.

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Phrank:

Omegian: "tarantulas don't need additional light. But if you want to use lightning, red light is the best." - that's all I can tell.
If you still want to use some additional lightning, use it to your heart's content, it's your spiders after all. We can only give you advices what, and what not to do. To be honest, I don't know how blue light affects them. Maybe you can observe their reaction to it (f.e. lightning only a part of the tank with it, and see which region they prefer), and draw the conclusion.
I use a Atinic dawn/dusk lamp....but it is on a huge display and my T's dont hide from it at all....they come out....rob

thirtysixwood

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well I kinda want to chim in here for a second or two, and give my two cents since I've been thinking of making a tropical terrarium for my T. using a 45gal corner aquarium, included with water for a fish or two... I know... I know... there are critics out there from left field to right... Allsss I'm gunna say is, the sun comes out everyday, and for every T thats not in your living room or basement, is probably outside, and most likely subject to the sun, at least 10 hours a day... hummm,,, that said, and from what the forum has turned a simple question into, I believe, that placement of any light source is key... nobody or anything with eyes appreciates having light directly in there eyes...

If you have a small aquarium or KK, getting a good view of your T is probably going to be hard to do, as well as keeping your T and the critics happy... but if you have something larger, a light source that is no overly excessive can give a good view, and not be so bright on your T's...

Personally, I have a flourecent (sp) light about 2 feet above one of my 12x12x12 Exo Terras, with a covered portion over the lid, not to mention ample hiding spots for my T... I observe no stress in my T... I do agree with someone that posted, I've had Ts that love to come out when a light is present...

I just think people get to far up their high horse about the knowledge they aquire and just assume light is bad and get very defensive... and want to, so to say protect the "rights if you will" of a T... seriously... lights not a big deal... The guy was just asking for some simple information about a particular light, if he/she wants to use light to see, he/she is going to, no need to discourage him from doing so... just offer up the information he requested...

anyway I think the Exo Terra moonglo seems like something I would consider, I'd say go for it and see what it looks like...

Buckshot

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My apartments temperature varies from ca 19-22 C wintertime, to 25-30 C summertime.(current 23 C)
do you think the spiders will be alright with this?

I took this photo in a Zoo.
It´s a Tarantula cage, with lights and some shade.
That setup can´t be that bad, can it?

Attachments

vvx

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I like how 90% of the people in this thread assumed it was for heat purposes and did absolutely no research to discover what the light bulb in question is.

No, the spider doesn't need it. This kind of thing would be purely for the owner. I don't see any problems with it, have considered building it into my future shelfing system. If we are to go down the road that only what is essential for the spider should be provided then things like fancy display cages, fake plants, etc... that make the enclosures visually appealing all become items that shouldn't be used.

Screw that. I'm not a dealer or a breeder, I intend my spiders to be for display purposes. That means clear containers that I can see through, fake plants, & lights when I get around to it.

What next, fish tanks that are made of solid black acrylic instead of clear glass because the fish don't need the glass?

hairmetalspider

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I took this photo in a Zoo.
It´s a Tarantula cage, with lights and some shade.
That setup can´t be that bad, can it?
A)Yes, it can. A few of the zoos/museums I've been to are as bad, or worse, than pet shops.

B) Of course they're going to have lighting. Regardless of a seemingly interesting place, they ARE there to make money, and if people can't see the animals...Yeah. But you sir, have the option to keep a healthier, well quipped cage.

ShellsandScales

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
A)Yes, it can. A few of the zoos/museums I've been to are as bad, or worse, than pet shops.

B) Of course they're going to have lighting. Regardless of a seemingly interesting place, they ARE there to make money, and if people can't see the animals...Yeah. But you sir, have the option to keep a healthier, well quipped cage.
That pic looks like a very ideal set up to me.