Exo Terra front opening terrariums and terrestrials

KenD

Arachnosquire
It's repeated regularly that front opening Exo Terras aren't suitable for terrestrial Ts. However, the distance between top and front vents in a 12"/30cm cube Exo Terra is 8"/30cm. Why isn't that suitable for 6" spider (1.5x dls), or perhaps even 4" spiders (2x dls)? Not trying to be argumentative, I'm just wondering if there's something I'm not taking into account here?

KaroKoenig

Arachnobaron
Not exactly a lot of floor space for a bigger spider in such a setup. I'd prefer more to give it room to evade.

Hi
I use some 30 cm cubes for my 6 inch Ts as forever homes.But you need to slope substrate.Below few setups empty waiting for the spiders to grow a bit more.
20200404_184248.jpg
20200404_184047.jpg
20200404_184128.jpg
I use the 45x45x30Hcm for my large terrestrial sp 7+inch DSL.Once you mod the top(wich is super easy)can't fault them tbh.Love the two way access too.
Below my LP female.
20200423_161249.jpg
If you setup them correctly its only 20cm highest points where the doors are in front so for big Ts not that bad.Also the exo terra low range goes up to 90cm long if floor space is concerned.
Regards Konstantin

Last edited:

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
It's repeated regularly that front opening Exo Terras aren't suitable for terrestrial Ts. However, the distance between top and front vents in a 12"/30cm cube Exo Terra is 8"/30cm. Why isn't that suitable for 6" spider (1.5x dls), or perhaps even 4" spiders (2x dls)? Not trying to be argumentative, I'm just wondering if there's something I'm not taking into account here?
An 8" fall for any tarantula, regardless of size, onto a sharp hard object gives a very real chance of injury.

Reezelbeezelbug

Arachnosquire
I think it's a combination of the "rules" that are repeated. Rule 1: no more than 1.5x or 2x dls from top to substrate. Rule 2: 3x dls recommended lateral space. You can't really satisfy rule 1 until you're at a point where you're breaking rule 2 with the most common size nano-tall. Other sizes might be fine, the med-low could work for a big terrestrial. IDK who made the rules and I've seen different rules based on whether you're a Eur keeper or US keeper.

Then there's the no screen top "rule" too.

The motivation at the pet store is to get you to buy as much as they can, so they sell you a 3/4" dls sling and push a $40 exo terra with heat mat and humidity gauge and special "spider" substrate with a special spider water dish.

The motivation here is to put the spider's health above everything else, so a simple plastic tub or deli cup satisfies the rules (and for cheap!) so that's what's usually recommended. I've seen some creative solutions to make the exo terra pass the "rules" so it's doable, just more money and effort.

An 8" fall for any tarantula, regardless of size, onto a sharp hard object gives a very real chance of injury.
While thats completely true.
Its 30cm top to bottom empty.Front vents are at least 10cm higher(haven't measured it to give exact measurement)If you use a bit of common sense while you set it up its not bad display enclosure.
For the record Im not exo terra fanatic and use all sorts of storage(or food) containers for my younger tarantulas :)
Regards Konstantin

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
While thats completely true.
Its 30cm top to bottom empty.Front vents are at least 10cm higher(haven't measured it to give exact measurement)If you use a bit of common sense while you set it up its not bad display enclosure.
For the record Im not exo terra fanatic and use all sorts of storage(or food) containers for my younger tarantulas :)
Regards Konstantin
Many of us have seen dozens (hundreds?) of these used with about 5cm of substrate in them, for terrestrial tarantulas, often to disastrous results. Common sense is a myth, in my opinion.

I use exo terras for my frogs, with great success. (have 12x12x12", 12x12x18" , 18x18x24", 36x18x18" exos set up). No way would I use one for a terrestrial tarantula.

Hi
I have seen those examples too and not only in exo terras.Critter keepers,moded fish tanks even storage tubs.Its poor research or the unwillingness to do one thats to blame more than actual type of enclosure but I hear what you saying.
Common sense is out there and while seen more and more rarely lately its not extinct yet.lol
Regards Konstantin

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Hi
I have seen those examples too and not only in exo terras.Critter keepers,moded fish tanks even storage tubs.Its poor research or the unwillingness to do one thats to blame more than actual type of enclosure but I hear what you saying.
Common sense is out there and while seen more and more rarely lately its not extinct yet.lol
Regards Konstantin
I'll agree, it's not the tank/enclosure that is the problem. BUT you see it more often with exo terras, and aquariums than with plastic bins. (At least what I've seen)

KenD

Arachnosquire
The screen top. That's the issue most have with the Exo-Terra's.
Oh, yes, of course. Didn't even think about that. It's an issue that's fairly simple to solve, though.

Yes, was thinking along the same lines. High is high however large the Time. Perhaps it would be good to amend the 1.5x DLS recommendation to clarify that.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Yes, was thinking along the same lines. High is high however large the Time. Perhaps it would be good to amend the 1.5x DLS recommendation to clarify that.
For example the 1.5x DLS theory would say for a 10" tarantula that a 15" height from substrate is acceptable.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
They're unsuitable for a few reasons, the mesh lids have been mentioned already.

The backgrounds are a pain as well, tarantulas either chew them up or find their way into the cable recess on the back and get stuck.

The height problem mainly comes from people housing smaller specimens in them, for a 12" cube even if you fill the front up to just below the vents and slope the sub towards the back (like I often see suggested in FB groups) then you still have a 9" drop at the front which basically makes them unsuitable for anything under 6" (and 6" is the largest you want to house in one if you go by minimum 2x dls width/length for floor space).

cold blood

Staff member
Oh, yes, of course. Didn't even think about that. It's an issue that's fairly simple to solve, though.

As ts get larger, the 1.5X DLS becomes less...well, accurate......the bigger they are, the harder they fall, a 10" t for example, should never ever have 15" of vertical space to fall, even though it still fits the 1.5x DLS rule...so this rule is absolutely not something that should be applied to all terrestrials equally,

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I just bought a 5" female Phormictopus cancerides that was housed in a 24x18x16 front opening glass enclosure - with the 18" being the height. It was a death trap. Because of the vent in the front, there was only 2" of substrate in it. She was able to fall 16" in that thing and she is as chubby as can be.
I got her into a more appropriate enclosure that won't kill her and put my sub-adult female Western Hognose in the glass enclosure.

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
Definitely a little off topic but...

I never totally understood the 1.5-2x dls rule to a degree and ill tell you why...

If a spider crawls upside down on the lid of the enclosure and takes a 12 inch drop....

I'd way rather that spider be a 1/2" spiderling that weighs less then a feather then a 8" Theraphosa with an abdomen bigger then a kiwi.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I never totally understood the 1.5-2x dls rule to a degree and ill tell you why...

If a spider crawls upside down on the lid of the enclosure and takes a 12 inch drop....

I'd way rather that spider be a 1/2" spiderling that weighs less then a feather then a 8" Theraphosa with an abdomen bigger then a kiwi.
It's just a rule of thumb. If you have a large, bulky terrestrial, it's best to err on the side of giving them less vertical space to fall.

Kinyonga

Arachnopeon
I don't keep spiders, but am curious as to why mesh tops aren't recommended for them?