Exo Terra Arboreal to Fossorial converstion

Saark

Arachnosquire
Just curious if anyone has had experience with removing the hinges and vent strip from the glass on an Exo Terra terrarium, without breaking the plastic of course :) What I want to do is convert a 12x12x18 arboreal tank to a burrowing tank by replacing the bottom piece of glass with a 10" piece and the doors with 8" pieces. I need to rehouse a cobalt blue and I think this would make for an awesome set up if I could just get the front taken apart without breaking anything. Any tricks or tips for removing the glass would be appreciated. Gotta, say I really wish Exo Terra would add these to their line up. I'm thinking of doing the same to a 36x18x24 for my T. stirmi. I can't help but think she'd love all that substrate to burrow in. She's in a 36in tank now but only has <6in to burrow in.

Thanks in advance.

mitty

Arachnopeon
I've never seen this done before so unfortunately I can't offer much advice. This does sound interesting however so if you take the leap and do it, please post pictures and updates! Whether it works or not, I'm still interested in why it did or why it didn't work out. Good luck!

Saark

Arachnosquire
Well, after a bit of experimentation, I lack the patience and the tools to cut the glass out of the molded hinge strips and bottom trim and apparently the glass itself can't be cut because it is tempered so it's off to a local glass guy. He thinks he should be able to do this for me and it's going to cost me $40, worth it if it works. What I will end up with is a 12in base with 6in doors. I'll post pics after it's done and set up. Fingers crossed for a successful job.

user 666

Arachnobaron
I know I am late to the party, but another possible solution would be to get a conversion kit which lets you stand a 20G tank on end.
http://www.tundraexotics.com/#!/Aquarium-Conversion-Kits/c/18529199

I have tried them for my hermit crabs. The kits didn't quite fit my needs but they did work, and they fit one of the $20 Aqueon tanks just fine.

On a related note, you mention a 36x18x24 Exoterra. Did you know that if you cut out the bottom you can set that enclosure on top of a 40G breeder aquarium? (I could never afford it but I know people who did that for their hermit crabs.)

Saark

Arachnosquire
On a related note, you mention a 36x18x24 Exoterra. Did you know that if you cut out the bottom you can set that enclosure on top of a 40G breeder aquarium? (I could never afford it but I know people who did that for their hermit crabs.)
That's a cool idea! I could set a 31x18x12 (the short version on top of the tank too. Actually, Shelob, my T. stirmi is in a 36x18 tank now that I could just modify using this method. Thanks for suggesting it.

Now, as far as the converting the Exo Terra arboreal to fossorial project, I took the tank to a professional glass guy and he could not get the glass out of the hinge pieces. I guess I'll just have to break the glass (can't seem to cut it) and then take my time grinding it out of the plastic sections. The H. lividum has a little way to go before it grows out of its current enclosure.