EVERYONE..status on your curly slings from Holley

kosh

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hey people..all of you that got curly slings from Holley....let's have a status report on how your's are doing?? are they eating well??...any of them die??...any moults?? if moults..how big after moults?? how many burrowers out there??
just curious about how all of my slings' brothers and sisters are doing....

Alonso99

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hey

My slings are doing well, eating chopped up cricket. No moults.

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mine are all alive and well also. I alternate between chopped up mealworms and pinheads. No molts yet.

Botar

Vayu Son

Old Timer
><

Mine were fine, till i mistook them for shrimp, dipped them in cocktail sauce and did away with em.

they have not molted inside me, they do not dare defoul my my temple.

-V

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
All of them are alive and well. Four have molted and a few more look like they're about to. :)

kosh

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
well i have 10 of them....all but 3 have now dug burrows...i wish the deli cups were crystal clear because from what i can see some of the burrows are pretty cool!!
no moults yet as far as i can tell....i fed them at the beginning of the week and most of them didnt finish their food so i figured they were premoult...waited all week for a moult and nothing so i fed them again today and most (not all..some are completely ignoring the cricket parts) of them are eating....i guess they were just full last weekend from "powerfeeding".....
no deaths and all seem healthy as can be...
found one more of those little flies today while feeding and i shooed it out of the cup...just checked a minute ago and the little fly is still hangin around and it seems as though it wants back in!!! stupid thing!!! it looks small enough i wonder why the T didnt eat it?

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
What up Kosh,
My curly is about ready to molt again. If its the same as it ever was, it should be around the 29th or 30 th.
I feed the little pig as much as it'll eat, tiny mealworms and pin heads at first. Then small crickets and reg. mealworms. Now I'm feeding it big fat wax worms and large crickets.
It seems it will eat almost to the point of bursting, maybe thats why it molts so often.

Ernie

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
my curlys from Holley are also fine ;)
A couple have molted, and the handicapped ones with molts stuck are looking good, a few more have gotten loose from the stuck molts.
They are all eating like little piggies too...and most of them have made burrows and I can't see them anymore either... :D

AlbinoDragon829

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Mine are doing fine. One lives in it's burrow and seldom ever comes out, even at night. The other doesn't really like its burrow. They are eating like crazy and appear to be in pre moult mode.

kosh

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
well...again, i'm wondering if the slings are premoult.......they didnt finish their food at the beginning of last week...and when i fed them saturday....most of them didnt finish again and a few of them didnt eat at all.....i had to disturb (partially dig up) one of them's burrow to get some cricket parts out but i think the spider got over it....these guys went from eating like a pack of wolves to being more finicky than my cats.....how long will slings stay in premoult (if indeed that is the situation)...i thought someone said a while back that the slings (at this stage) were quick about this (like premoult, moult, and ready to eat in a couple of days)????????

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by kosh
how long will slings stay in premoult (if indeed that is the situation)...i thought someone said a while back that the slings (at this stage) were quick about this (like premoult, moult, and ready to eat in a couple of days)????????
It really varies from sling to sling. I've got a little P. nigricolor which only goes off feeding for about 4-7 days, moults, and is feeding again in about another 3 days. Conversely, my little curly will refuse food for as long as 2-3 weeks, and I've got a G. pulchra sling going on 2 months.

Your spider knows its situation better than you. So long as the abdomen is plump, water is available, and the temps are above 70, there's nothing really for you to do or worry about.

kosh

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
well ive got the temps above 70....and as far as water....i dont provide any kind of dish for the slings....just the occassional misting (not even really misting just a few drops of water on the substrate to keep it damp)...and i figure they get water/moisture from the cricket parts i feed them.........so i guess all is well.......i just wish they were eating like crazy like they were at first.....but not a big deal either way.....less eating means less work for me!!!!

kosh

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i knew the slings had to be premoult cause they didnt finish food last 2 feedings, so i misted/moistened the slings' substrate 2 days ago and put them in the top of my closet (nice and cosy and quiet up there)....well....i looked in on them today...(didnt check them yesterday)...and 4 of them have moulted and at least one looks like it could moult very soon...its abdomen has a noticeable patch on it (if you can call it a patch at this size)...looks like they are still fresh and white around the mouth/fang area though so im thinking they moulted yesterday or today....how long till it is safe to remove the skins with a sling??

also another one of those little flies has popped up in one of the deli cups with a freshly moulted sling and the sling was jumping and chasing the fly around, i guess it is already hungry...was kinda cute.....

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I had two of those flies in one vial. I left them in there and now they are gone... free food. I haven't noticed any molts yet, but I've got a few that refused their last feeding and I haven't seen them in a couple of days. We'll see what happens.

Botar

kosh

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ok now......all but 2 of the 10 have now moulted.....how long before they can be fed again??? do i need to wait a week or more like an adult/semi-adult?
how many days after moult can they be fed?? (since they moulted on different days)

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
Kosh,
at that size, probably a couple of days is fine. One of my larger slings just molted, and her fangs are already black, and she's eating. Shouldn't take more than 1-3 days, depending on their size.
On an interesting note, some of you may recall that I found a bunch of strays, and I put them all together in a vial with lots of substrate. There are about 12 of them, and they are living communally. (for now). I've noticed that some of them eat alot more than others though, looks like there are a couple of big bully types, and a couple of little shrimpy runt types. I'm wondering if in nature the runty types would get eaten by their siblings?

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Good chance, I'd say. It's pre-packaged fresh food for the strong ones :D