Ever tried snails or slugs as food?

Pana Lemontzis

Arachnopeon
How are moths taking a risk? I have been wondering if i could feed my avicularia versicolor moths? I would like to see him catching it out of the air and eating it. Moths or butterflys.. things that can fly. I wouldnt do this but i was wondering if it was possible, maybe finding a honey bee and taking out the stinger and feeding your spider that. Just a thought but would never try it.
The stinger wont do anything to the T

TechnoGeek

Arachnosquire
Probably not a good idea. Slugs/snails aren't commonly bred in captivity around where I live and collecting wild ones is very risky since they're usually loaded with parasites. Plus some of em are poisonous. And for what? They're not exactly super nutritious.

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
Probably not a good idea. Slugs/snails aren't commonly bred in captivity around where I live and collecting wild ones is very risky since they're usually loaded with parasites. Plus some of em are poisonous. And for what? They're not exactly super nutritious.
Probably not ideal for smaller inverts like t's or scorpions due to the amount of slime produced for a small invert to handle.

However they are the preferred food for Blue Tongued Skinks and all amphibians relish them, plus snails being a delicacy for the French, so there can't be to much wrong with them !!

Kada

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
I dont know, but I never have because they are so filled with parasites. Even the edible species for humans we must prepare extremely carefully as the parasites can be life altering. I dont just on that basis. I have fed wild cockroaches from our farms (organic) on many occasions when in a pinch. but I still worry about pests, disease and parasites a lot when i do.

A friends video of a fun parasite that is common. A problem for birds, probably not for spiders as their feeding mechanisms are vastly different.

Attachments

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
This may sound like a very strange question but has anyone ever tried feeding a snail or a slug to their tarantula? If so, are the remains really messy or do they digest the whole lot cos these are soft bodied organisms? I wonder about the chance of parasites.....
Nope nor have I tried earth worms. :rofl: :confused: Greetings from07…

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Many wild Ts, especially ones that live in rainforests eat worms in the wild. I suggest it!
Yeah but I ain’t digging up worms , or going to a bait shop so I don’t see it happening besides I got plenty of roaches . I bet they love worms 🪱..