Euthanization

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
Tescos said:
Well they would be but when Eddy answerd the door the chicks all ran off!Hmmm :?
Ah well he should have got A.purp like i said :rolleyes:.

fantasticp

Arachnocompulsive
Old Timer
BlkCat said:
There is no way i could euthanize anything. Working at vet offices, I always hated holding off the veins or restraining the animals for direct heart injections of the poison. It may not be an animal u know, but its a life. We dont do it to humans....I cant make the decison that something is to die. Its not my right. Its my job to fight til death to keep animals alive. Unfortunatly, there are politics that go with all types of work and many things that u are forced to do that u dont want to. :mad: In this house, they all get beyond a fighting chance. Even if they give up...I dont.
Oh my god! Don't even get me started on putting pets "to sleep". :mad: Personally, I think that 99% of the time a person puts any animal to sleep, they are either TOO LAZY OR TOO CHEAP to try to cure the animal. If you care about your pet, you should give it everything you got! Off topic, I know a person who put their cat to sleep just so they wouldn't have to move it to another state. :(

8SEXYLEGS

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I would not be happy about having to kill one of my T's, but if it looked as though it was suffering and was not gonna pull through, I would put it out of it's misery. I would be sure it was gonna die, and this, would be a last resort, after I had exhasuted all other options for it. I don't like seeing anything suffer, weather it's a spider, or a cat, or a person or any kind of living thing

MilkmanWes

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Whoa!

Earlier this year we had a hamster break her hip and sustain internal injuries to her organs. Lot's of pain and the heroic efforts to save her would have likely been fatal. We could have waited the 3-4 days for her abdominal cavity to become septic and for her to die of dehydration or starvation since she likely could not process food and water.

When I was 16 we found one of our calves ravaged by a pair of wild dogs, major arteries severed and tendons severed in it's leg. Probably could have let it bleed out waiting for the vet to come.

Not long after that a cow of ours dislocated her hip while calving and was paralyzed in the back legs for 3 days. Could have let her waste away and sustain more injuries as she could not shift her considerable weight instead of salvaging our investment by slaughtering her for beef before any injuries tainted the meat. (Call it cheap but several thousands of dollars was at stake here)

One of our hamsters is currently in ICU right now and I am watching her get worse and worse with pnuemonia which is almost always fatal regardless of treatment or not. She has to be force fed liquid so dehydration is on the way. She could hang on through the weekend maybe, in a lot of pain. Gotta discuss taking her to the vet before then with the GF tonight.

No matter what we feel for them they are animals. We have to unsderstand the limits of what we can do for them and that sometimes it is kinder to speed along the inevitable. In every one of the situations above death was (or is) on the way and there is nothing really to do for them no matter how much we want to, veterinary science just isn't equiped for it in some cases.

Not to sound mean, but I honestly wonder if people with a position like yours have any real experience with death and dying. The cat story I wonder about because what ethical vet would euthanize an animal for such a reason rather than refering them to the local shelter to find it a new home.

fantasticp said:
Oh my god! Don't even get me started on putting pets "to sleep". :mad: Personally, I think that 99% of the time a person puts any animal to sleep, they are either TOO LAZY OR TOO CHEAP to try to cure the animal. If you care about your pet, you should give it everything you got! Off topic, I know a person who put their cat to sleep just so they wouldn't have to move it to another state. :(

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
MilkmanWes said:
Whoa!

One of our hamsters is currently in ICU right now and I am watching her get worse and worse with pnuemonia which is almost always fatal regardless of treatment or not.
Wait... is it warm and moist?

Yes, and as for the comparison to humans, well, euthanasia is going to become much more common in the coming years...
It can be humane - for animals as well.
I've had to euthanize a pet once, by myself as the vet wouldn't take it. It was difficult to do because of MY emotions, would have been harder on the animal to let it suffer.

Sometimes it takes courage to be kind.

Malkavian

Arachnolord
Old Timer
fantasticp said:
If you care about your pet, you should give it everything you got! ...
How much you care about your pet has little to do with it. Not everyone has the resources to drop a grand on surgery or a hundred on meds for an ailing pet. especially if it's going to be something recurring (old age, cancer, bone problems, etc)

As for tarantulas, if I had one in a situation that likely wasnt survivable (nematodes, burst abdomen, bad injuries) I'd freezer it. All other cases (mismolts, what have you) I'd probably let it die on its own, on the off chance it might pull itself together

Last edited:

8SEXYLEGS

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
sheri said:
Wait... is it warm and moist?

Yes, and as for the comparison to humans, well, euthanasia is going to become much more common in the coming years...
It can be humane - for animals as well.
I've had to euthanize a pet once, by myself as the vet wouldn't take it. It was difficult to do because of MY emotions, would have been harder on the animal to let it suffer.

Sometimes it takes courage to be kind.
I agree that enthanasia can be humane, infact I think it's more humane than watching something bleed to death slowly for days at a time, or something die of dyhydration. I work in a nursing home, and it is not fun, or pretty to watch people die who have terminal caner, or AIDS or whatever teminal disease they have. It is sad to see poeple die, but you know what, I honestly think they are better off, just like our pets are, to die. And everything dies, T's, people, and one day, we will all die. Is it wrong for us to speed up that process? Ithink that it's a personal desision, and one needs to do what they think is best at the time.

WingedDefeat

Arachnopeon
MilkmanWes said:
I spent lots of time on a farm growing up and the culture there is that responsible (and economical) animal husbandry is knowing when to end an animals life. And that is no small task when the animal in question weighs 1500 lbs.
I'm inclined to agree with the Milkman. I also live on a farm, and have lived on one my whole life. Part of owning a pet is knowing when it's time to save your friend some pain. It's not cruelty, it's not cold-heartedness. It's just a responsibility.

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
metallica said:
alcohol or freezer, i don't really care.

to those who say they can't put a T down..... hope you never get a case of nematodes............
Is alcohol pretty much instant?

fantasticp

Arachnocompulsive
Old Timer
Well, since we are talking about T's here, what pain and suffering exactly are you saving them from, since by countless threads we seem to agree they don't feel pain. Suffering? Does it have some sort of mental anguish about its condition? Probably not. I would have to conclude then that it wants to live, by it's own instinct to survive in any and all cases. As for other animals, I stand firm on my cheap and lazy position.

fantasticp

Arachnocompulsive
Old Timer
MilkmanWes said:
The cat story I wonder about because what ethical vet would euthanize an animal for such a reason rather than refering them to the local shelter to find it a new home.
PS The cat was over 10, but still playful and eating fine. Perfectly healthy. They lied about how his age was affecting him.

chique

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
wow,I am always interested on other peoples views other than my own on topics such as this because it is one of those subjects that I feel there is no right or wrong answer.

For T's, euthanization is IMO doesn't "end" suffering for a T more for the owner who is concerned with its state, i've seen it discussed so often wheather or not a T can feel pain/suffering and my personal understanding from such debates is that a T does not in the way we understand "suffer". So putting your T out of its "misery" is more to do with you feeling it to be the right course of action because nothing more can be done. Not having experienced a situation with one of mine like that I don't think i can say if I could in effect kill my T or not?

However, people have said that it's not right to euthanize your animals (pets, livestock etc) and that its lazy or cheap, I don't begrudge anyone their own opinion! but I think maybe you haven't seen how appauling a state an animal can be in and how heart breaking it can be to do the right thing and actually end pure, raw, agonising SUFFERING.

2 examples.
1. Cat - common pet, I take it you couldn't imagine euthanizing (killing) such a lovely fluffy friend? Well nor could I have, until one of my cats (when I was around 9), got stuck giving birth to her litter, 2 out God knows how many more to follow, she was breathing but not responsive, bleeding heavilly!, salvaiting like you would'nt believe and because she was unconcious she would'nt take water apart from what we dabbed to her mouth and tongue. Anyway, my dad who was brought up on a good old fasioned spanish farm and has lived with animals all his life opted to try and manually save the remaining kittens, since the cat couldn't do it herself and was in such a state. I think imaginations can assume how. All were dead and Penny had awoken, mewwing, not moving. So my Dad did what he knew to be the only thing that could be done for her and ended it, believe me it wasn't easy, a 50 year old tough as nails man cryin over a cat! It wasn't laziness! And it certainly wasn't being cheap because if anything could have been done he would have paid for it to be done no questions.

2. we used to keep Jacobs Sheep, and next door was a dog boarding/training centre and rats were common due to the food etc lying around the open top pens, one of our Ewes got bitten by what we assume to be a rat. we did'nt realise she had been bitten by anything until she was found lying, twitching round the back with an open wound (from the bite) and maggots completly covering and coming out of all available orafices, I'm sorry I know that that's quite a horrific picture I've probably just created in your mind but imagine seeing it!!! She was alive, barely and again my Dad did what was right for her. You might say why didn't you notice earlier but people who have owned such animals and on a fairly large domestic scale will appreciate that it is not easy to spot all ailments until it's too late considering their usual day consists of eating, lying, sleeping! And what would a vet have done? Oh yeah, the same but for £££, I admire my old man for having the guts to do something like that which undoubtably has stuck in his mind!

Their are more examples but I'll leave it at that, I've warbled on enough, like I said no right or wrong, compassion sometimes means doing the most unimaginable and ending the life of an animal you've grown to love!

Tarangela

Arachnobaron
I haven't had to put a T down yet. I did, have a situation about 3 years ago though. It was a rose hair male, and was molting again, after its ultimate molt! I was away for 3 days when this happened. I returned to find it barely
moving, and looking like a monster :( I wish I would have been there for it :(
It would have been cool to have had a male, molt again.

Sad.

I have had some close calls w/ T's, but left them alone, and watched, and most of the time, they pick themselves up, and keep right on going! I am not sure what I would do. It would probably be a natural death for me. I don't think I could flush, freeze, etc. to any of them.

And sometimes, things are beyond our reach...