Euscorpius hadzii with brood

Rigelus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've been waiting for her to pop so yesterday when i looked in on her i wasn't surprised to see her with young on her back.

Despite the very slight amount of sclerotization on the young they seem to be leaving her already. They were wandering about when i looked in so it wasn't me that disturbed them off her back.

Not a large brood (I count 10) but the young are not as small as you would expect from this species.

emmille

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
nice

that's really cool Rigelus. I haven't heard of this scorpion. is it a desert type?

Rigelus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
No, this is actually a European scorpion which was wild collected from Montenegro and determined to species level by Victor Fet.
/Bryan.

Rigelus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Just took another picture today and as you can see she has hardly moved position since yesterday. Most of the young have left her now however during the time i was observing her i saw some of the young crawl up onto her back and then down again. Some even dashed and hid under her when my shadow passed in front of them. She raised herself slightly to allow this just as i took the picture.
It demonstrated a nice moment of maternal instinct.

/Bryan.

Vermis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Nice result. :) Congrats! What size are the mother and offspring?

Looking forward to a classified ad. ;) :D

Rigelus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What size are the mother and offspring?
She represents a size of approx 30mm on the picture from tip to tip.

Looking forward to a classified ad
The phrase "not counting my chickens" comes to mind.
Low instar Euscorpius are apparently a bit tricky so i intend to keep whatever scorplings out of these 10 survive and learn from them.

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Glad to see they all got out of I1. Good job producing this brood, you are right about the sclerotization though, been what, a few days at I2 and they've only barely brown. Now maybe when my future kids turn 4 or 5 we can have a second generation party for the kids and for those slings kids lol, I think the time line will be pretty close! Good luck.

Rigelus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ed

So, you've got a brood as well...:clap:
Have you left the young in the mothers enclosure or seperated them?
Yesterday i found 5 L2's under various bit's of surface furniture. These went over into individual containers that i had already prepared and had been standing beside the adults enclosure so that they would be acclimatised when the time came.
I then slightly moved a piece of bark and could see that the remaining young were in the close vicinity of the mother. I've left them there as she actually appears to be quite protective. The young ran and hid under her when i disturbed them and she again lifted her body to allow this.
Incidently, i thought i counted 6 young before they disapeared under her which means the brood size stands at 11.
What was your hadzii's brood size Ed?

Andre2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I think E. hadzii is among those species which early instars do better. Some people in Holland raised them quite well from what I heard. I raised E. carpathicus at roomtemperature (19-22 degrees) and it grows well, even quite fast. Good luck!;)

Vermis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Nice result!

I just recieved a pair of Ellroy's Italian Euscorpius sp. today (Ta Ellroy), which I'm eager to try to breed in time; which in turn means I'm eager to hear as much as possible about problems, tips, and conditions. If you're willing to talk about scorpions. ;)

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hello Rig,

You mistook me. :) I was referring to my actual future children, poking fun that it is going to take forever for those slings to grow up just as human children do. :) I've personally not seen too many of these species and I know little about them. For slow growers I think I'd keep them with the mother a while, but once they darken up they should be fine as long as well fed, which I'm sure you know.

Before I was a member of the boards I did know of someone that kept slings with this growth rate with their mothr until I3. Which I would see as fine, great to observe the maternal care and communial living throughout a bloodline, but also does render the scorpion useless breeding wise for a while.

Good luck

Ed

Rigelus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You mistook me
Yeah, i seem to be doing a lot of that just recently lol......Besides, H. sapien young are not really that slow growing Ed.....My oldest are now 10 but it seems only yesterday we were changing nappies..;)

I just recieved a pair of Ellroy's Italian Euscorpius sp. today (Ta Ellroy), which I'm eager to try to breed in time
I'm pretty sure that most Euscorpius mate during the back end of summer in the wild and then give birth the following spring/summer. So if you've got any adult females then theres more than a fair chance that they allready are gravid.

If the female attacks the male when you put them together then thats usually a good sign that she's allready up the duff....;)