Eucorydia dasytoides care

Kada

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Has anyone experience with these? I have some small nymphs and am curious if males and females mature at different times. what is their lifespan like?

Curious if the same size will end up unable to breed due to males dieing before females maturing.

Cheers for any help!

Tbone192

Arachnoknight
590-680 days to mature from hatching for females, and 560-645 days for males. It does depend on species and temperature though.

Kada

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
590-680 days to mature from hatching for females, and 560-645 days for males. It does depend on species and temperature though.
Wowzers! That's quite a while. But looks promising for breeding then. Do the males die soon after becoming mature that you know of?

I am keeping Eucorydia dasytoides from Taiwan. Also seen it called Eucorydia aenea dasytoides on some websites.

Tbone192

Arachnoknight
Technically it is a subspecies of Eucorydia aenea. The males do not live very long after maturing, maybe 1-3 months. Despite their lower breeding rates and long maturity, they are gorgeous and I have seen people with pretty big colonies.

Subspecies, breeds, morphs can get a little confusing though. I'm sure genetics will offer a clearer picture one of these days.

Kada

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Great, thanks for that. Haven't found much info on them, probably because I was using the wrong name haha.

Do you thunk there is a decent chance of them breeding if the same size growing up? Or will be one of those things where I should find another group slightly larger or smaller and have them pair up that way?

How long do females live post maturity?

Really would like a nice strong sustainable colony :) They are really pretty.

Tbone192

Arachnoknight
Females about the same lifespan as males maybe a bit more time with them. Their beauty is fleeting unfortunately. Hey, at least they live longer than most cockroach genuses...I guess.

You should be able to breed from a single group, using another colony may be a good idea though to bolster genetic diversity.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Females about the same lifespan as males maybe a bit more time with them. Their beauty is fleeting unfortunately. Hey, at least they live longer than most cockroach genuses...I guess.

You should be able to breed from a single group, using another colony may be a good idea though to bolster genetic diversity.
Woah they take 2 years to mature that’s most roaches max lifespan.
I’m shocked they only live a few months more then that.

Kada

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter

Fantastic, thanks for the info!

Do you currently keep any? If convenient, would love to see pics, especially of your enclosure :)

Tbone192

Arachnoknight
Fantastic, thanks for the info!

Do you currently keep any? If convenient, would love to see pics, especially of your enclosure :)
Unfortunately I have never owned any myself. I've had some friends rear them in the past. I will ask and see if any of them still have a colony or some pics. From what I understand they are fairly easy to keep though, 1-3" substrate depending on the size of the enclosure and colony, plenty of dead leaves on substrate as a constant food source and chop fruit for them but do not put it in dishes as nymphs won't be able to climb the dishes to get the food. They do require a little bit more maintenance than your standard roach genera. Humidity is the most difficult, you need a moisture gradient in the soil but not too much or the nymphs will die off quick. Wetting a corner every now and then should do it. Temperatures should be good around room temperature, maybe on the higher end.

One of my pals was keeping E qingling and he said they reached 7-8 instar in 6 months and he kept the room they were in ~30 degrees celsius year round 🤔.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
From personal experience with these and other Eucorydia spp., maturity should take no longer than a year if kept properly. I think reports of 2+ years to mature are from people that do not provide their nymphs with protein, or keep them very cool.

E.dasytoides seem to mature at somewhat even rates between sexes, males usually a little faster to mature and shorter lived than females, as is normal for the genus.

Kada

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
From personal experience with these and other Eucorydia spp., maturity should take no longer than a year if kept properly. I think reports of 2+ years to mature are from people that do not provide their nymphs with protein, or keep them very cool.

E.dasytoides seem to mature at somewhat even rates between sexes, males usually a little faster to mature and shorter lived than females, as is normal for the genus.
Cheers, thanks for that info! So far they have all molted once since in my care. They have shown a liking to carrot more than other veg i have tried (the only sweet veg I have offered). they are otherwise super cute, being so hairy! Will take a couple new pics soon. I am on the wait list for more from the breeder. I would like a bigger group than just these!

What I have noticed is that in my enclosure they are always found in and around the larger rotten wood bits. Not sure if that's moisture, physical comfort or feeding. But it's consistently so. I have them on about 5cm deep of "flake" soil (the fermented wood based soil for beetle larvae) with loads of leaf litter crushed up and mixed in. Then a couple chunks of rotten wood and more, larger, leaf litter on top. Outside of that, one side moist, the other drier. Condensation forms on the moist side and lid, so thus far I don't bother with a water dish. random vegetable bits tossed in on the dry side. I think I want to add some proper clay based soil, just in case. I feel it's always good for minerals and digestion, but I am obviously new to this genus and species. Would love a critique. Will post pics in the next few days of both roach and enclosure :)

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Cheers, thanks for that info! So far they have all molted once since in my care. They have shown a liking to carrot more than other veg i have tried (the only sweet veg I have offered). they are otherwise super cute, being so hairy! Will take a couple new pics soon. I am on the wait list for more from the breeder. I would like a bigger group than just these!

What I have noticed is that in my enclosure they are always found in and around the larger rotten wood bits. Not sure if that's moisture, physical comfort or feeding. But it's consistently so. I have them on about 5cm deep of "flake" soil (the fermented wood based soil for beetle larvae) with loads of leaf litter crushed up and mixed in. Then a couple chunks of rotten wood and more, larger, leaf litter on top. Outside of that, one side moist, the other drier. Condensation forms on the moist side and lid, so thus far I don't bother with a water dish. random vegetable bits tossed in on the dry side. I think I want to add some proper clay based soil, just in case. I feel it's always good for minerals and digestion, but I am obviously new to this genus and species. Would love a critique. Will post pics in the next few days of both roach and enclosure :)
I would definitely offer dog kibble or something similar on a regularly basis, they definitely prefer protein to any vegetable matter as nymphs.

Eucorydia nymphs seem to prefer clinging to the undersides of bark or wood or even cardboard hides that are touching the substrate. They don't eat a ton of wood but definitely like clinging to objects like that, so that makes sense. Your setup sounds pretty good to me, I'm sure they'll do well. :)

Kada

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
I would definitely offer dog kibble or something similar on a regularly basis, they definitely prefer protein to any vegetable matter as nymphs.

Eucorydia nymphs seem to prefer clinging to the undersides of bark or wood or even cardboard hides that are touching the substrate. They don't eat a ton of wood but definitely like clinging to objects like that, so that makes sense. Your setup sounds pretty good to me, I'm sure they'll do well. :)
Cheers, noted on protein. I add leaf mold to most things often, assuming that may be enough (nitrogen/protein). But I can certainly add some animal based protein easily enough! Thanks for the suggestion!