Euathlus Sp?

TigerLily87

Arachnopeon

Hi I've posted on here before just had to set up a new account! I had just got my B.Emilia sling who has now molted and is getting close to 3inches he/she is doing great has a monster appetite and like a lil bulldozer in its house always rennovating! Sadly when it molted it ended up with one skinny leg which I was told would fix itself in its next molt and happens sometimes if they get a lil dehydrated before molting, even though I had kept his/her habitat by the book :? just glad it doesn't seem phased by its lil peg leg!
I ended up getting my spouse hooked on T's too and he got himself a gorgeous GBB 2inch sling and I also just aquired an A.Avicularia 1/4 inch sling.
We want to get one more, so we have 2 each and he likes the Euathlus.Sp or Blue Beauty T (think he has a thing for the blue T's {D lol) but we can't find any care sheets online, just would like to know how to keep their house and also their temperament. All I've heard is that they are similar to my B.Emilia...is this true?

Thanks and hope everybody and their Ts are well!
(p.s. attached a pic of my poor lil Emilia and his/her's peg leg, bless!)

Last edited:

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i keep my euathlus sp. blue a lot like rosea, it seems to prefer drier substrate, spray/overflow a corner, etc. and from everything i've been told they are from chile and have similar care requirements. (p.s.- i'd love clarification from an experienced keeper as well :)) proper_tea and anastasia might have better info, so hopefully they chime in this thread.

its a slow growing (even more than Grammostola sp.), flighty little thing, but very docile. also, mine won't powerfeed for anything and has been in premoult for what has felt like forever for a 1" sling.

you can also try running a search "euathlus pulcherrimaklaasi" or "blue femur beauty" and see what comes up, although in my experience i didn't find much.

edit: "pichidangui blue beauty" is also is a valid search option as well.

Last edited:

proper_tea

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Anastasia is the one to go to. She bred them. I've got 2 that I got from her, but they're smaller than the one that you (malevolentrobot) are currently keeping.

I can't really offer any better advice than you have. Sounds like your experience with them is pretty similar to mine. I've had mine since this summer, and they have only molted once, showed very little growth, and are still only about .75". I've also got 2 Euathlus sp. "orange" that I've had for about 2 years. They're only about 1.5" now, but they started showing color at a pretty small size, and they currently look like miniature adult tarantulas (which is adorable).

They all tend to like being kept dry, although mine drink more frequently than my G rosea does. They're fickle eaters, and if they aren't interested, they just won't touch it. I've found that if I change food sources, I can get them to eat more frequently, but I don't do this super often, because I'm fine with them being slow growers (kinda like it even... they're so cute when they're little).

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They all tend to like being kept dry, although mine drink more frequently than my G rosea does. They're fickle eaters, and if they aren't interested, they just won't touch it. I've found that if I change food sources, I can get them to eat more frequently, but I don't do this super often, because I'm fine with them being slow growers (kinda like it even... they're so cute when they're little).
i have found this as well. rotational feeding between dubias, waxworms and (uggghh...) crickets seems to be keeping mine interested a bit more. finicky little things. its the only reason i buy crickets anymore.

also, i'll have to remeasure after the (read: eventual) moult, but i am pretty sure i already see the femurs darkening up a tiny bit at over 1". or maybe its just wishful thinking :D

TigerLily87

Arachnopeon
Thank you! Some great advice, just what we needed to know. My boyf's GBB is also very finnicky! Such a stubborn creature not like my Emilia who will gobble up multiple crickets at once, will eat any kind of prey too!
Its what makes the hobby interesting though, that all the Ts are so different, even in the same species you'll get some that are easy going, some that are uptight etc.
Gotta love em! :D

LisaD

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
the GBB may be in pre-molt - usually they are voracious eaters

Abby

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My friend currently has 268 3rd instars of these babies :D

Since they really tiny she keeps them in vials with moist coco fiber. She feeds them pinhead crickets and tiny baby mealworms. As it's been said, they are kind of finicky eaters.

They have all molted into 3rd instars in this past week and a half, and they seem to be growing on the slow side, but awwww they are such cutie pies :D

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
is Euathlus sp."red" the same?
i believe there has been discussion of greenish or purple hued femurs from the euathlus sp. being referred to as "blue", but to my knowlege the "red"/"flame" is considered a different euathlus spp. i hardly claim to know much about these guys, but i think the discussion was sandwiched in between pictures in the gallery thread:

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=70865&highlight=euathlus

speaking of euathlus, man would i love to get my paws on an E. vulpinus. so pretty! :drool:

Last edited: