Euathlus parvulus Fang Issue?

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I was given this tiny spiderling, not even 1/2" yet, on Saturday. They moulted on the 22nd. Everything seemed to go well, but while I was trying to take a photo to see how their fangs were coming along, they seem to have something strange going on with one of them.
Does this seem normal? They are not washing or moving their fangs at all and one seems to be stuck in an upward position and not tucked in like the other.
I have never fed them, I only had them a couple of days before they moulted. I normally wait about a week to feed them, so they were not scheduled to be fed for a few days yet.
I'm really concerned. This doesn't look normal to me - they're usually nicely tucked in.
Sorry, but this is the best I could do with a spiderling this small up against the side of a plastic enclosure.
I'm hoping that it just looks like this because of the odd angle and I am blowing things out of proportion.
DSC08357-2.jpg

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I actually had a sling do this in the past. I don't recall the species, but it simply disappeared after the following molt. It never had any trouble eating, if I recall correctly.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Okay, I guess I just have to wait and see, then. One of the fangs looks fine, so I am hoping that they will still be able to eat properly with it. It's a good thing that they moult quickly at this stage.
They just seem so lethargic to me and they are significantly smaller than the other one that I've had for about a month. Both came from the same seller, so I am assuming that they were sac mates. I know that they can sometimes differ in size, like my two Euathlus sp. Red, but this one is really a lot smaller than the one I've had for a month. The bigger one has only moulted once as well, back on November 10th.
Maybe I will be able to get a better look when the fangs are darker... if I can get another photo then.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
A week is a long time to wait to feed a sling after a molt IMO..Alot of slings that small and up to about 1 1/2 -2 inches are usually ready to eat 2-3 days after molting... Some individuals and species do vary though..

I wouldn't worry about the fang issue.. For all you know its just holding it like that for the moment.. If it is deformed in some way it should correct itself with the next molt.. You won't even know if its an issue untill you try feeding it.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I want to feed them this weekend and that is why I was trying to take a photo to see how dark their fangs were. They are still blood red and not black yet and it has been three days. I don't want to wait too long to feed them because they are so small and lethargic. I braved the Black Friday shopping fiasco in this city just to get them some fresh mealworms.
I am extremely paranoid about feeding them too soon and having their fangs get damaged. I like to see if I can get a photo after a few days so I feel more comfortable that it isn't too soon.
Do I not have to wait until they are completely black? I've always waited until they are.
They moved a bit, so I tried again. Maybe this is better.
DSC08357-2-2.jpg

Last edited:

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
I want to feed them this weekend and that is why I was trying to take a photo to see how dark their fangs were. They are still blood red and not black yet and it has been three days. I don't want to wait too long to feed them because they are so small and lethargic. I braved the Black Friday shopping fiasco in this city just to get them some fresh mealworms.
I am extremely paranoid about feeding them too soon and having their fangs get damaged. I like to see if I can get a photo after a few days so I feel more comfortable that it isn't too soon.
Do I not have to wait until they are completely black? I've always waited until they are.
They moved a bit, so I tried again. Maybe this is better.
View attachment 225583
Yeah you're supposed to wait until the fangs are black. I bet she's going to be fine. One of her fangs look perfect.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
After what seemed like forever, they finally seem to be eating their mealworm bit.
DSC08986-2.jpg

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
That must have been a relief :) Good to read it turned out alright!
It sure was! The meal worm bit was completely gone by this morning, so I am not worried that they cannot eat. They have also perked up a bit and that makes me very happy. :D