Ethyl Acetate Smell

JLDomestics

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I know that nail polish remover contains at least some ethyl acetate, but my question is, does 100% ethyl acetate smell EXACTLY like nail polish remover?

lucanidae

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
No, nail polish remover has all kinds of perfume and junk in it that make it smell different. Also, I've never ever come across 100% EA, not even sure that you can get that. The highest I've come across is about 90% and that stuff was STRONG SMELLING, but basically the same scent as lesser concentrations.

jen650s

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Be sure to read the lable--Ethyl acetate is not the only product sold as nail polish remover, acetone is as well. Ethyl acetate is used to remove nail polish from artificial nails. Acetone is used to remove artificial nails or to remove polish from natural nails. The smell that most people associate with nail polish remover is acetone. This is important because acetone will attack many plastics and synthetic fibres and creates a noxious stench as it does so. While the fumes from ethyl acetate are horrible it is less damaging to other things.