Ethmostigmus trigonpodus - Possibly dying?

TreebeardGoddess

Arachnosquire
:depressed::anxious: This morning I found my Ethmostigmus trigonpodus, Doug, halfway out from underneath his bark hide. He usually hides completely under there or is buried, so I knew something was wrong. He just looked off. I moved the bark hide and he didn't react; nor did he react when I nudged him with the forceps. He is extremely lethargic. He'll move a leg or antennae a bit if I nudge him enough, but mostly lies limp. I don't know what's wrong. I fed him a bit of honey in case the sugar boost helps, and put drops of water on his mouth in case he's dehydrated. He will move one mandible a bit when I give him honey or water.
I looked but can't see any mites and his spiracles look clear and normal. His coloring seems to be the same (he's always been darkish brown), and his antennae are still the lighter orange color. I try to keep a moist side and dryer side of his enclosure, but I don't know how successful I am. I do have springtails and dwarf white isopods in to help with cleanup/mold.
Just in case his enclosure was too moist and that was causing the problem, I've placed him in a small container with new, dry coco fiber. I have his head placed in the water bowl and I'm leaving him in a dark corner for now.
Is there anything else I should look for to determine the cause? Is there anything else I can do to help him get better?
Thanks you guys, this forum is a lifeline for me (no one else really cares about creepy bugs ya know).

NYAN

Arachnoking
The prognosis isn’t good. I would’ve just left the enclosure the same, however what you didn’t isn't bad. Time will tell what happens in this case.

Has it been eating?

Last edited:

TreebeardGoddess

Arachnosquire
He has been eating pretty well - usually a medium sized cricket once a week. Last week he got an adult darkling beetle (from my mealworm mini-farm). I don't know if that has messed him up internally or not. I've never heard of them being poisonous.

TreebeardGoddess

Arachnosquire
Roughly 2.5 - 3 inches. That doesn't big enough to me for him to be dying of old age, but this is my first true centipede.

patrick nimbs

Arachnoknight
Well Doug passed away sometime last night. I still don't know what went wrong. :sorry:
If you think the enclosure was a bit damp, it may have got mycosis, which is first noticed as blackening of the legs. You may have noticed it missing a few legs as the centipede bites the legs off in order to stop it spreading because once it reaches the spiracles, the centipede will inevitably die. I would presume that is what might have killed it. If it’s not that, I have no idea.

TreebeardGoddess

Arachnosquire
After looking at pics from when I first go him, Doug's legs looked darker than before. I would guess it was mycosis and I didn't catch it in time.