Ethmostigmus trigonopodus vs. S. polymorpha

tyrel

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Is Ethmostigmus trigonopodus an Ok beginner centipede compared to polymorpha?

I had ordered a polymorpha, but the dealer was nice enough to warn me the had been misidentified. It's now thought to be Ethmostigmus trigonopodus.

Hopefully someone can help me out before the shipping gets delayed. ;)

Edit: I've found some old threads that suggest this is a great beginner pede. Thanks.

Last edited:

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
um...E. trigonopodus isn't even close to S. polymorpha, how could they be mis-ID'd????

I've kept both (still have my polymorpha, trigonopodus croaked recently)...E. trigono's are great starter pedes in my opinion. They get pretty big, have decent mass to them, and like to eat :) I say get the trigonopodus!

tyrel

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
um...E. trigonopodus isn't even close to S. polymorpha, how could they be mis-ID'd????
I dunno. :} That's what they were sold to the dealer as I guess.

I'm also getting an Alipes sp... I figure that's a good couple to start with. I can't wait. :D

bistrobob85

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It was obviously a ''Tanzanian Giant Yellow Legs'' Ethmostigmus Trigonopodus, totally unmistakable... It really was sold to the dealer as a polymorpha... Oh well, dont worry, i saw it and it's a great looking specimen :). It IS a great beginner 'pede, you'll like it for sure.

phil.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
for e. trigo's the yellow legs are not as good a beginner as the bluelegs. more nervous in my experience and venom is a hell of alot more potent. i think.

bistrobob85

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I agree that they are more nervous than the blueleg. I have three of each and i confirm, i dont know about the venom thought. I think they should work a bit on finding a different name for one of the two kinds, or just make subspecies...

phil.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I agree that they are more nervous than the blueleg. I have three of each and i confirm, i dont know about the venom thought. I think they should work a bit on finding a different name for one of the two kinds, or just make subspecies...

phil.
remember. in the centipede world color is nothing =P
though, these two groups do seem to differ in more than just that

well, i suspect that as more genework is done on centipedes that there will be some revision and restructure. problem is since centipedes aren't thought to significantly affect anything economically then study funds will be fairly scarce.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
nah, in today's political climate that'll get you relatively nowhere...tell them they have anti-terrorism potential and you'll get dump trucks of money :D

bistrobob85

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Plus i'm sure everybody could use a bite of Sc.Japonica after breaking up or having a very bad day :).

phil.

Arachnomaniak

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I find my Ethmostigmus Trigonopodus to be much more mellow that my S. polymorpha. I recently rehoused all of my pedes and the S. polymorpha gave me the most trouble out of the entire bunch! I personally like the looks of the Ethmostigmus Trigonopodus sp as well. My "Blue ring legs" are totally mellow! I love those little guys :)