Ethics of selling T's

GailC

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would never knowingly sell a T of any species if it was to a irresponsible owner or as a status symbol.
Sure what a person does with a T once they buy it is totally up to them and their life or death is that persons responsibility, I still wouldn't sell to a kid or some stupid macho "watch me tease my spider" guy. Some responsibility falls to the breeder regardless if it a invert or puppy.

tacomadiver

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I would never knowingly sell a T of any species if it was to a irresponsible owner or as a status symbol.
Sure what a person does with a T once they buy it is totally up to them and their life or death is that persons responsibility, I still wouldn't sell to a kid or some stupid macho "watch me tease my spider" guy. Some responsibility falls to the breeder regardless if it a invert or puppy.
I couldn't agree with you more.

IdahoBiteyThing

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Trust your gut

Reminds me of when I was trying to sell a 7.5 ft boa, and a pregnant woman with a toddler showed up to look at her. I questioned her, and she told me they already had a big snake that was "good with the children" (more like, "really interested in the children"). I have never regretted sending her away. Can you imagine what it would feel like to open the paper some morning to find "Boa eats infant" and know you sold them the snake? Clearly not as much danger from a tarantula, but imho I think it's ok trust your gut feelings.

stonemantis

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I just saw this thread and here is my response (sorry about the delay)

Since I sell quite a few tarantulas online, at shows, and etc.... I can tell you one thing "If they want it they will buy it"

IMO: Every breeder, keeper, reseller, seller, and etc.... has a responsiblity to the public to put "buyer safety" first. That way expensive lawsuits, bad publicity, and etc....

I know for a fact that the above opinion is not always performed so that is why I state it as opinion and not fact.

Bottom line all sales are up to the sellers discretion. If anybody feels uncomfortable about any sale then don't sell to that customer.

I usually am willing to negotiate with the customer and try to direct them to the item/items, stock that I feel reflects their experience level. Then I offer them the future option of buying the preferred item/items, stock when they have the experience needed to operate or care for desired item/items, stock.

This may be long winded but, I hope it helps.

Brian

Kagekumo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
never hurts to have them reply to an e-mail saying that they understand the safety concerns and that they are buying a perishable item that cannot be 100% gauranteed. That would take care of the legal end of things. Asfar as the ethical choices go just make sure they are old enough to take care of it. The 18 or older rule of thumb is pretty decent. Tho there are some cool kids out there that do know what they are doing. I just wouldn't sell to someone I didn't have a good feeling about.