Essential oils and Ts.....is it safe?

AHMR

Arachnosquire
Just a quick question....
Can a T be in a room with a diffuser/humidifier that has had essential oils added to the water?
As I have diffusers/humidifiers that I usually run with my essential oils for scent/relaxation etc,but just thought of the fact that it could hurt my Ts(5.5-6" g.porteri and a 1" N. chromatus) by them breathin it in or the moisture in the air from the diffuser/humidifier penetrating their substrate or such.
I'd be sure to not use any that are known to be insecticide related.
So would it hurt them? Or should I just no longer run them?
Thanks.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I wouldn't use them in the same room as my spiders are in. I have no proof or data to it being harmful,but i have no proof or data it iisn't either. I like to err on the safe side, rather than taking risks. But that is just me personally.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Not worth the risk of potentially killing your T. They don't breathe this in the wild. Someone may say "it's fine I do it w/mine", but there's no guarantee they are the same oils, NOR are any long terms affects known.

You could be shortening the life span of your T by years or decades and never know it when it dies, just chalking it up to the "unexplained".

Last edited:

AHMR

Arachnosquire
Ok. T's are in my room,with the door closed and I'll be sure to never run the EOs in here.(only other room I do is across the house in the living room)
They(EOs) are not worth it for the risk of hurting my Ts.
Thanks!