Escaping roaches. HELP!

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
I just got some harlequin roaches and put them in a bin lined with vasoline. The vasoline is fairly thick and runs about 1.5" in height. I don't know how they're still climbing out! What can I do?

I've heard about a special chemical that works better and that it's an industrial lubricant. What is it, exactly? I'm down for using that if I knew what it was.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i hate vasoline as a bug barrier. too many species just run over it. and it is SOOO messy sometimes. and it is sooo hard to get off cages later

i use olive oil and nothing i keep can climb up it

you do have to reapply every 2-3 months, though. more often when it is hot and less often when it is cold, it seems.

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i think fluon is what you may be thinking of. I have been unable to get some as teflon is what comes to mind when you say fluon and i don't want to use teflon. Instead, i just use discoid roaches who don't climb. If you don'tm want escapees, i would simply suggest non-climbing roaches.

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
These roaches aren't for feeders. These are pets. That's why I wanted this peticular species. I have six species, but this is the first I've ever seen climb vasoline.

I'll look for fluon today. Thanks for the heads up!

Louise E. Rothstein

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Escaping Roaches...HELP!!!

Dear Escapee Owner:

Your escapees have an escape route.
Please check for "cracks" under and around the lid.
And,while you are at it:
Please check for cracks EVERYWHERE.
There may be more than one.

P.S.
One more thing:
Did your colony overcrowd?

That may be part of the problem.

Better luck next time!

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
Dear Escapee Owner:

Your escapees have an escape route.
Please check for "cracks" under and around the lid.
And,while you are at it:
Please check for cracks EVERYWHERE.
There may be more than one.

P.S.
One more thing:
Did your colony overcrowd?

That may be part of the problem.

Better luck next time!
Wow! Lot of assumptions here.

I saw two or three climb over the vasoline. That's how I knew they were escaping. There are no cracks.

My colony is NEW, which is very simple to discern from everything that's been said. There were about 40 of them in an 18 gallon bin with lots of egg crate.

There is no next time. I'm going to make them work, now.

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
i think fluon is what you may be thinking of. I have been unable to get some as teflon is what comes to mind when you say fluon and i don't want to use teflon. Instead, i just use discoid roaches who don't climb. If you don'tm want escapees, i would simply suggest non-climbing roaches.
All I could find was the teflon. Why don't you want to use it?

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I am not sure what it is, but it seems to be specially marketed to prevent roaches from getting out. You could email him and ask

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
I am not sure what it is, but it seems to be specially marketed to prevent roaches from getting out. You could email him and ask
Double D's hasn't been a big help. That's who I got the harlequins from and I've had nothing but trouble (which you can read in the reviews section).

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
lol, just try olive oil. i spent 99c on it and won't need more for a long long time.

i've tried to get a few captive B. germanica to run over the barrier and they just don't seem able to. and my tubs are not even 90* from horizontal.. they have a slight grade to them.

oh, and a tip... don't make the vent holes in the same region you are going to apply the bug barrier to... try to make the vent holes lower... i am afraid that when enough roaches near mindlessly try to climb the olive oil they will stupid onto the footholds that vent holes i made have created. heh, oops.

Techuser

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Olive oil? =O
cool, never heard about this, gonna try next time instead of reaplying vasoline

PeriplanetaAmer

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I use olive oil, here, in Spain is very commonly and cheaper than in the U.S. so we use it frequently. I think is better than vasoline.

Have a nice day!:)