Escaped Ts

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've never had an escape from a KK. I've pretty much quit using them, though, because they're a pain in the butt. First thing I would do is remove the handles and throw them away. Then, fill the handle holes with hot glue.

I had a visitor to my home let out C elegans and GBB slings. Elegans was found about 4 weeks later, GBB about 4 months later, both well fed, well hydrated and having molted during their walkabouts.

I have an Escapopelma klaasi that has been packing taped into her enclosure ever since her last escape in 2014. That escape was from a locked enclosure that I moved her to after her previous escape.

I currently have a free range Chilobrachys Black Satan... If s/he ever turns up, I gave plenty of packing tape.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
I posted it here because if we analyze why they escaped it could help readers with selecting/securing enclosures. Ensuring a secure escape proof enclosure is an important part of T care
Sorry for my grumpiness but if you can't make your T enclosure escape proof you're either A) making an oversight that common sense would normally catch and you need common sense in this hobby (guilty of this one, sorta, more of a forgetful moment, made an air hole that was too big that I forgot to cover before putting the sling in, forgot until the next morning but it was long gone), B) incompetent, or C) don't know how to search the forums (which would also mean you don't know how to use Google, Duckduckgo, Bing, etc. and in this day and age that's rare unless you're computer illiterate or two years old).

These creatures aren't typically good escape artists if you put even a little thought/effort in. They'll occasionally chew through mesh screens or thin plastic, which comes up if you research enclosures to any serious degree like a keeper should be doing, but it's not like they can turn door knobs or twist lids off. I dunno, I guess this isn't something that I've ever thought was that difficult.

But to be constructive :artist::

- I use cheap opaque plastic boxes with latches that secure the lid down (Really Useful Box from Office Depot to be exact, http://www.staples.com/really+useful+boxes/directory_really+useful+boxes, but I hate not being able to see clearly through them so I'm phasing them out) for slings up to about 1.5". Rare occasion I'll use plastic vials like you often receive them in for the smallest slings.

- Beyond that I use food storage containers that are practically crystal clear with locking lids or lids that have strong friction fits (use your imagination at the stores, I won't say which ones I buy or where exactly because I'm selfish and don't need more competition finding them in stock locally ;) ) for small slings through about 3-4".

- Above that I go to glass aquariums with locking lids sometimes, either on its end for arboreal (my 6" regalis is in a 5G vertical aquarium with a sliding, locking cover that came with it) or flat like normal for terrestrial use. I don't shop at Walmart except for engine oil and recently these plastic lids because nobody else had them and I needed them asap...https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pet-Select-Deluxe-Screen-Cover-1-Ct-Fish-Aquatic-Pets/10324371, for 10G aquariums, you can replace the screen with acrylic if it really bothers you, the two holes have lids that twist-lock for easy feeding, and the slides on the four corners lock underneath the plastic lip of an aquarium...it's held my 12+ year old Lasiodora parahybana in a 10G for probably 11 of those years just fine and she's tried to chew her way out once or twice. Heavy mesh.

- I use ET enclosures for some of my larger arboreals and a couple terrestrials (ET Nano Wides for some juvenile genics around 3" with substrate even with the bottom of the door in the front and sloping up towards the back). Locking door(s) and latching cover (convert to acrylic for better escape-proofing). Also bought some Nat Geo "ET" style enclosures recently that were on clearance at PetSmart for 50% off or more that seem pretty good quality and have locking doors and lids. I haven't rehoused anyone in to them yet but planning to move my near 6" ornata and the 6" regalis in to them soon.

I will also say that most of the escape stories I have read on these forums over the years involve people forgetting to either put the lids back on or not locking them closed...or the spider bolts out of the tank and disappears before they can catch it. Nothing much can help with that other than being careful and double-checking everyone's lids. Rarely (ever?? I think I retract "rarely" and go with "never" but I can't remember every post I've read in the last 12 years lol) have I read about a T forcing its way out of a locked enclosure. I have read a few where they chewed thin screen mesh or plastic and were able to wriggle out that way. A few where they lifted a lid up that was not secured (i.e., lid was just resting with no or insufficient weight on top of it). None that have said their T unscrewed the jar lid, or reached out through an air hole and unlocked the door, or called 911 to report being held against their will.

Hope that made up for my grumpiness :vamp:

Last edited:

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
^that looks like some pretty lightweight screening. Heavier gauge is available if you're going to go that route :) Just a heads up. Great example photo!

Marijan2

Arachnobaron
^that looks like some pretty lightweight screening. Heavier gauge is available if you're going to go that route :) Just a heads up. Great example photo!
yeah yeah, i know now, this was in my early days of T keeping :sorry:

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Had one actual "escape" and a few that have run out of their enclosures but didn't get far before they stopped and I was able to catch cup them. My B. smithi escaped a few months back or so (it was my fault because I was distracted and didn't realize I hadn't secured the lid completely). Thought she was gone after a couple weeks of looking but then she randomly turned up in a bathroom on another floor of my place. Sneaky buggers.

Funniest one was my E. sp red female. I had her enclosure down on the floor and was doing some maintenance...she's super chill so I can generally just take the whole top off of her KK and go about it without worrying about her bolting or anything. So I finished maintenance and put the KK lid back on one side first then the other. Somehow in between me attaching one side of the lid and the other she managed to sneak to the far side, and up and out without me being the wiser. I finished attaching the lid and put it back on the shelf. A few minutes later I was sitting around in my room and heard a rustle on the floor where there was a plastic bag. At first I thought I had a cricket escape so I went to investigate...and there she was. Just sitting there like "sup". I made sure to not take her general slow demeanor for granted anymore after that.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
lol, no worries man, wasn't trying to make you feel bad. Just wanted to make sure you and others were aware there are better options as far as screen gauge goes. I'm glad you posted it as it's a perfect example of why people say to avoid screen especially for larger T's.

CarbonBasedLifeform

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
but it's not like they can turn door knobs or twist lids off
My cat can turn door knobs so I've had to take that into consideration with my T room. If I ever forget to lock the door to the T room, I could come home one day to a few containers knocked over by the cat.

Hope that made up for my grumpiness :vamp:
No worries about grumpiness. Your post was very informative and of great value to the thread

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
So far I had only one sling escapee,and that was when housing it after buying it from an expo. The little P.irminia decided to make a run for it by dashing and teleporting so fast I didn't even have time to cup it. It didn't help that my husband keeps his dvd collection in that room either. Found it a few hours later, snugly sitting between Bambi and Beauty and the Beast...
It sensed me coming closer though, so it bolted into a technic Lego car, sigh. (I am busy remodeling the attic so I don't have to deal with that anymore). I caught a few minutes later with the sling sadly losing a leg because it decided to try one more go at being free.
Housing my T.violaceus was easier than this one, and that is mature female!

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well, I guess I'm just frigging incompetant, then.
B klaasi escaped from a pressure fitted lid. As did the C Black Satan. So don't count on those pressure fitted lids too much with determined spiders.
B klaasi escaped a second time from a glass tank with a locking metal lid. I have multiple other spiders in identical set ups that have never escaped.
I've watched the klaasi pile up substrate and stack her water bowl and corkbark so she can pick at the lock. Once she has the lock swiveled open, she uses the pile for leverage to push against the lid, which is now taped shut. When that fails, she moves her pile to the other end of the tank to try her luck with the other lock.
The locks fit snug enough that I sometimes need pliers to open/close them. She keeps plucking at them til she gets them open. I relock them every week during maintenance. She hasn't figured out the packing tape yet.
Yes, it's unsightly. And a pain in the butt to have to retape periodically. But, it keeps her contained.

I've had a few spiders bolt from enclosures during unpacking (1 OBT), rehouse (1 C dyscolus) or maintenance (1 M balfouri), but they were contained almost immediately. I don't see those as "escapes", just brief runabouts.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
Formerphobe, good post, incompetent? Lol, nah. Do you have a photo of the lock the klaasi tries to open? I don't think I've heard of that before but maybe I'm not picturing it accurately.

Regarding the friction lids I don't use them on any spiders that I believe are large enough to open them. My 3" seemani taught me how strong they are even at that size when we decided to see who could push the tweezers harder. I won, of course, but the resistance it was able to put up was impressive. It was during a rehouse and it was not cooperating, it grabbed my tweezers with one foot pad and refused to let go so I started "playing" with it. I'd push it's leg back, then it would push back against me. I suspect terrestrials are stronger, by size, than the arboreals due to digging habits.

I'm looking around my T room now and the only terrestrial I have in a container like that is none lol. Well, I have a sub 1" OW burrower in one. The rest house bark scorpions, a 1" Pumpkin Patch (well, used to, died earlier this week despite being active and digging :( ), and a versicolor. I could see a determined, stronger terrestrial pushing one open but for their size (LxW dims) I probably wouldn't keep a spider in one large enough to do it but I tend to rehouse a little on the early side. I'm glad you posted your experience.

Here's what I use from Target, are your lids the same design as these? These fit pretty snug, shouldn't come off if knocked down, but the strength needed to pry one side up doesn't require superhuman strength.

http://www.target.com/p/medium-cani...|mwebpdph3|viewed_bought|mwebpdph3|16603483|1

Might I suggest a large rubber band or a bungee cord instead of packing tape? I can only imagine how "loud" that is to the T when you take it off. But, effectiveness is priority. Side note, I avoid the OXO push button locking lids for the same reason, I think the clicking of the button would really bother a T after putting my ear up to the container and clicking it so I use ones with twist locks in the lid.

Well, I guess I'm just frigging incompetant, then.
B klaasi escaped from a pressure fitted lid. As did the C Black Satan. So don't count on those pressure fitted lids too much with determined spiders.
B klaasi escaped a second time from a glass tank with a locking metal lid. I have multiple other spiders in identical set ups that have never escaped.
I've watched the klaasi pile up substrate and stack her water bowl and corkbark so she can pick at the lock. Once she has the lock swiveled open, she uses the pile for leverage to push against the lid, which is now taped shut. When that fails, she moves her pile to the other end of the tank to try her luck with the other lock.
The locks fit snug enough that I sometimes need pliers to open/close them. She keeps plucking at them til she gets them open. I relock them every week during maintenance. She hasn't figured out the packing tape yet.
Yes, it's unsightly. And a pain in the butt to have to retape periodically. But, it keeps her contained.

I've had a few spiders bolt from enclosures during unpacking (1 OBT), rehouse (1 C dyscolus) or maintenance (1 M balfouri), but they were contained almost immediately. I don't see those as "escapes", just brief runabouts.

Last edited:

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
My cat can turn door knobs so I've had to take that into consideration with my T room. If I ever forget to lock the door to the T room, I could come home one day to a few containers knocked over by the cat.
I have two cats also. Neither can turn knobs. But due to structural shifts the door can't always be pulled fully closed in to the striker plate so one likes to shove it open and look for crickets. To combat this I'm going to buy a cheap latch (the hook and eyelet kind) and put that on the door.

No worries about grumpiness. Your post was very informative and of great value to the thread
Thanks, I try not to post like that. I could reword it but bottom line is it's really pretty simple to ensure a T can't escape. I will concede there are a few nuances that can take you by surprise and allow an escape (Formerphobe's post is a good example) but generally if you use screw-on lids, locking lids, or use a heavy enough weight/resistance device (rubber band, bungee, tape) and don't make the air holes too big you are practically guaranteed no escaped other than from keeper forgetfulness :)