Escaped Ts

CarbonBasedLifeform

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I had a dream that my H mac escaped. Not a fun dream lol with my gf trying to kill it, it trying to kill us, and my cats trying to eat it.

It got me thinking about cage security and the like. How many escapes have you had? Did you figure out how it escaped and fix the problem?

My only real escape was an H lividum a few years ago that shot out of the enclosure while I was trying to get it out of the burrow to change the substrate after spotting some mold. Luckily it did not try to hide and instead wanted to fight lol, made it much easier to get a deli cup over it, but still it got my heart rate up quite a bit...

Marijan2

Arachnobaron
My 5" P. subfusca escaped approximately year ago, in the middle of winter i may add. I though she was gone/dead for sure since i couldn't find her anywhere. She apparently went outside of my apartement and ended up in my neighbours. After few MONTHS my neighbours reported to me they have huge ass spider on their wall and if its maybe mine. :dead: Well it turns out it was indeed mine, and i got her back moulted and well fed, i have no idea what she hunted, ate, or drank.

Estein

Arachnoknight
My 5" P. subfusca escaped approximately year ago, in the middle of winter i may add. I though she was gone/dead for sure since i couldn't find her anywhere. She apparently went outside of my apartement and ended up in my neighbours. After few MONTHS my neighbours reported to me they have huge ass spider on their wall and if its maybe mine. :dead: Well it turns out it was indeed mine, and i got her back moulted and well fed, i have no idea what she hunted, ate, or drank.
WHOA. That's nuts. I'm glad your escape story had a happy ending! Kudos to your neighbors for alerting you.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
A.hentzi when I was around 12yrs old.. My cat knocked the enclosure on the floor while I was sleeping.. I woke to find the T resting on the lid of the enclosure next to the broken kritter keeper..

It was a very easy fix I put into a new enclosure and locked the cat out of my room :rolleyes:..

I haven't had an escape in 22 years..

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
When I was about 8 years old and my mom was the one mostly taking care of my first T, an approx 4-5" G. pulchripes. She was in a 20 gallon with 1" of sub (I know terrible right?) and one day I went out of my room to look at her. She was sitting on top of this 20 gallon enclosure, not very far at all. What is crazy is I'll never know how she got past the lid. It was a fish tank lid, where the top flips open and closed. It was pretty heavy, and we didn't leave it open. May have the hulk of all spiders... ;) Still doing well, but pretty freaky for sure. Just cupped her and put her back.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I've never had an escape in all of those years (since '92). Well, I don't count as "escape" of course a fluffy & itchy "Chaco" or "Genic" walking in my bed, for purpose, during cage maintenance, with that lovely "web" trail :-s

Risked the other day heavily with that storm of (unexpected!) S.subspinipes 'badass babies'. Hell, it's pure finest luck that I spotted one trying to escape from the holes... realizing what happened (gravid WC female I haven't a clue about), I sacrificed sleep for capture those :p

Of course I can't be 100% sure that someone didn't managed to "ninja disappear" somewhere but oh well, I don't nor I can blame myself for that :kiss:

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I have only had 2 escapes.

A good few years back I walked into my bedroom to find my dog sitting looking at my rosie while she was on the floor in the corner. She sueezed out a damaged corner of crappy cage.
Fixed by picking her up and putting in better enclosure.

Second I came across a B. emilia in a shoe last year. Not sure how long it had been there. Dont even know how it got there. Fixed by removing laces and pulling insole out and nudging her back home.

Bugmom

Arachnolord
Second I came across a B. emilia in a shoe last year. Not sure how long it had been there. Dont even know how it got there. Fixed by removing laces and pulling insole out and nudging her back home.
I remember reading an account from someone, I think it was on this forum, unknowingly driving to work with his escaped GBB in his boot. That he was wearing. :wideyed:

CarbonBasedLifeform

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I remember reading an account from someone, I think it was on this forum, unknowingly driving to work with his escaped GBB in his boot. That he was wearing. :wideyed:
I can't imagine sitting down at my desk half asleep to have a T start climbing up my leg lol. I bet some of my co-workers would have a heart attack if it left my cubical

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I haven't had any escapes. But I think the biggest risk on slings is for creation of ventilation holes. Solder Irons can create some accidental large holes. On the first enclosures I built I made some holes that were definitely too large for small slings. I ended up needing to use a glue gun to fix some of them.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I posted it here because if we analyze why they escaped it could help readers with selecting/securing enclosures. Ensuring a secure escape proof enclosure is an important part of T care
thats not what your post says. asking the experiences of other keepers is a T chat thing. besides, if youre not buying escape proof cages then maybe you should reconsider the hobby. ;)

CarbonBasedLifeform

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I haven't had any escapes. But I think the biggest risk on slings is for creation of ventilation holes. Solder Irons can create some accidental large holes. On the first enclosures I built. I made some holes that were definitely too large for small slings. I ended up needing to use a glue gun to fix some of them.
When creating ventilation holes I like to use my drill on reverse at a slow setting. When drilling normally into plastic it tends to create cracks easier, reverse has rarely caused problems (not 100% problem free of course though)

CarbonBasedLifeform

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
thats not what your post says. asking the experiences of other keepers is a T chat thing. besides, if youre not buying escape proof cages then maybe you should reconsider the hobby. ;)
It got me thinking about cage security and the like. How many escapes have you had? Did you figure out how it escaped and fix the problem?
Reread the section of my post that I just quoted. I ask about cage security and how the problem was fixed when discovered. So yes, the post says that. Btw I do have escape proof enclosures, so no need to reconsider the hobby =-) my only escape which was over 5 years ago was from me opening the enclosure.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Reread the section of my post that I just quoted. I ask about cage security and how the problem was fixed when discovered. So yes, the post says that. Btw I do have escape proof enclosures, so no need to reconsider the hobby =-) my only escape which was over 5 years ago was from me opening the enclosure.
the main way a T can escape is from over sized vent holes. thats pretty much it, i dont really consider this worth of discussion in QnD. theres really very little to discuss..
i was not specifically talking to you with that last remark there. haha

CarbonBasedLifeform

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
the main way a T can escape is from over sized vent holes. thats pretty much it, i dont really consider this worth of discussion in QnD. theres really very little to discuss..
i was not specifically talking to you with that last remark there. haha
You may not have been talking to me, but I'm sure there are plenty of people who would be great in the hobby that are mislead when it comes to containers. Critter keepers are a good example. They are used so often in the hobby but I do hear of T escapes from those.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
You may not have been talking to me, but I'm sure there are plenty of people who would be great in the hobby that are mislead when it comes to containers. Critter keepers are a good example. They are used so often in the hobby but I do hear of T escapes from those.
if its under 1.5", dont use a KK. i use them all the time. thats the next step for most terrestrial Ts after deli cups for me.