Escaped Tarantula

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
I methodically prepped the bathroom for a rehousing of my C. huahini sling/ juvenile (about 1-1.5in) in the bathroom by putting a towel under the door, plugging up all the drains, etc since I know that this species is extremely fast and loves to bolt during rehousings. Well, what I expected happened, except for one small thing....I didn't realize there was a tiny overflow drain (smaller than a penny) under the lip of my sink. Guess what happened? The tiny beast bolted in the blink of an eye and disappeared into that tiny hole. I tried everything to get it out and eventually thought I'd killed it, and was very sad. Well, not so fast. The next day I shined a flashlight down there and noticed webbing. The tarantula made its home in that overflow drain which is fused to the porcelain sink. I immediately plugged up the major drain and have been trying to lure it out with food. I almost succeeded but it quickly retreated at the last minute. It's been a few days now and it's still down there, happily carrying on. How on Earth can I get it to come out? I assume that eventually it'll get hungry enough to start looking for food, but I'm getting very frustrated. Aside from taking the entire sink apart, does anyone have suggestions?

Swagg

Arachnoknight
I methodically prepped the bathroom for a rehousing of my C. huahini sling/ juvenile (about 1-1.5in) in the bathroom by putting a towel under the door, plugging up all the drains, etc since I know that this species is extremely fast and loves to bolt during rehousings. Well, what I expected happened, except for one small thing....I didn't realize there was a tiny overflow drain (smaller than a penny) under the lip of my sink. Guess what happened? The tiny beast bolted in the blink of an eye and disappeared into that tiny hole. I tried everything to get it out and eventually thought I'd killed it, and was very sad. Well, not so fast. The next day I shined a flashlight down there and noticed webbing. The tarantula made its home in that overflow drain which is fused to the porcelain sink. I immediately plugged up the major drain and have been trying to lure it out with food. I almost succeeded but it quickly retreated at the last minute. It's been a few days now and it's still down there, happily carrying on. How on Earth can I get it to come out? I assume that eventually it'll get hungry enough to start looking for food, but I'm getting very frustrated. Aside from taking the entire sink apart, does anyone have suggestions?
I think you are doing about the only thing you can do.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Its domesticated now, sit back relax and enjoy your bathroom tarantula lol jk. Um I guess just keep trying what youre doing thats about all you can do, but it found a dark, probably slighly humid, and small place to hide. Tarantulas dream home. Im sure eventually it has to come out of there. Maybe try and coax it out in the dark next time, with like a red bulb so you can see but it cant? I think thats what I would try next if it were me.

KaroKoenig

Arachnobaron
The overflow drain is connected to the sink at the bottom of the tub. Couldnt you try to create an airflow from below? That should send the tarantula out. I would tape some sort of new dark "hide" in front of the entrance, so it might flee there. Have an appropriate lid for that hide ready.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Nothing like having a Chilobrachys species just free ranging in the bathroom, lol.

I doubt it will want to come out. Its dark and probably moist.

All jokes aside, I would pull the sink and try to split it in half, not hard to install a new one.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Another option is to intentionally block the drain BELOW where the tarantula is and slowly pour room temperature water in, the water should start to go into the overflow area where the tarantula is hiding and essentially force the Tarantula to go up and out of the hole at the top.

Breaking the sink probably squishes the tarantula, so I wouldn't go that route

MrTwister

Arachnoknight
There was an old video on here of someone getting a spider out of a tub drain with a superworm on a string.

Chebe6886

Arachnobaron
The chance of coaxing that thing out when you are there to catch it is slim to none.
I’d just disconnect the drain tube put a big bucket it under the sink, plug the drain and flush water into the overflow. Should do 1 of two thing... force it out the overflow as it fills or the water will carry it to the bottom drain so when you unplug drain periodically it should come out with water.
I have no doubt a sling can survive getting wet for a short period of time. Involves some risk but I think you’re past that point
I do know this.... if your significant other Is anything like mine and you tell her a venomous large growing spider is loose in the house... she’d rather burn down the house than live with a loose T.

Tigger

Arachnopeon
If it was me I'd detatch the overflow hose from the sink then remove the trap it connects to. Put both in the bath tub and separate the overflow hose from the trap. Figure out if your T is in the overflow hose or the trap then shoo it into it's enclosure. Have catch cups within reach.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
if your significant other Is anything like mine and you tell her a venomous large growing spider is loose in the house... she’d rather burn down the house than live with a loose T.
I don’t even know what mine would do, don’t want to even think about that hahaha

Chebe6886

Arachnobaron
I don’t even know what mine would do, don’t want to even think about that hahaha
Hah. Yeh I don’t live with my current girlfriend but the thought has been proposed. Tarantulas are one of two points of contention. I think I’ve got her won over but if one ever gets loose.... either we or I will be moving

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Hah. Yeh I don’t live with my current girlfriend but the thought has been proposed. Tarantulas are one of two points of contention. I think I’ve got her won over but if one ever gets loose.... either we or I will be moving
I didn’t give mine the option lol the bugs come along with me. I don’t think anything will be worse to her than the mass roach escape. I think a tarantula she could deal with. Roaches are a no go anymore. Was finding hissers for 8months around the house. Ha.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I'm a little confused. You rehoused the sling in the bathroom but in the sink instead of the bath?

If so why?

Chebe6886

Arachnobaron
I didn’t give mine the option lol the bugs come along with me. I don’t think anything will be worse to her than the mass roach escape. I think a tarantula she could deal with. Roaches are a no go anymore. Was finding hissers for 8months around the house. Ha.
No WAY.... yeh if my roaches got loose, she’d cry and I’d be done for. How did that happen?

I frequently rehouse my Ts on the counter in my bathroom. So I can stand and be more agile for those crazy ones. I just like the bathroom because it’s a confined space with limited places to run for the T. Unless you leave a drain open. Lol 😉

Last edited by a moderator:

aprilmayjunebugs

Fiery but Mostly Peaceful
Arachnosupporter
What a conundrum! If I were in that situation, which I hope I never am, this is what I would try before ripping everything apart.
Since porcelain is usually pretty cold, even in room temp, I might try putting a heating pad on the counter to try to encourage it to come to the heated area. Get a catch cup, a blanket, and a good book and camp out in the bathroom for a bit. Obviously unplug the heat pad when you can't be watching very closely, wouldn't want to cook the poor thing. I have no clue if this is even feasible, I'm assuming this species is ultra photosensitive so who knows if it will favor heat over darkness.
Whatever you decide to do try I hope you'll keep us updated, best of luck!

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
No WAY.... yeh if my roaches got loose, she’d cry and I’d be done for. How did that happen?
Cat got into the colony.....
]
thats would be a very curious bug hunting cat that got into the colony and they got out lol. She acquired me with my bugs I acquired her cats.

Chebe6886

Arachnobaron
Cat got into the colony.....
]

thats would be a very curious bug hunting cat that got into the colony and they got out lol. She acquired me with my bugs I acquired her cats.
Yeh mine has the coolest cat and the weirdest dog ever. Her dog is scared of it’s own farts and is constantly attacked by the cat.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
There was an old video on here of someone getting a spider out of a tub drain with a superworm on a string.
Yeah, I remember that when it happened. Not very long ago I found myself thinking about it and wanting to watch it again, but I don't think it is still out there anywhere. I can't remember who did it. I want to say Spidermom, but I'm just not sure.
It might actuall be worth a try in this case, but it would probably be a little more difficult. In the video, the lady dangled the worm down into the drain and eventually was able to pull it out when it took the bait. Sounds like it would require dangling the worm in front of the drain for it to work, which might be more difficult. to do without just spooking the spider. But who knows? I'd try it.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
I've repeatedly tried luring it out with food and even sewed a thread into a cricket and tried fishing it out of the drain. Nothing has worked. I know that he's not going anywhere....so the next step is for me to disconnect the sink and try flushing him out. If that doesn't work I'll have to take the sink apart. Thanks for your advice, everyone!