Escape!

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Aaargh, absolute nightmare... I've just discovered that my 8" Subspinipes is no longer in its tank. I cannot for the life of me figure out how it escaped, the lid was securely on with a brick sitting on top of it for saftely. And before you ask, no, it's definitely not still in the tank, i checked carefully. My question is not where should i look, i've checked all the likley places, it's how long is it likely to survive outside the tank? The temperature here is about 23 degrees celcius, with a humidity of 31% during the day. I'm hoping this will mean it that it will dessicate fairly quickly, and then i can stop worrying about it crawling into my bed at night :(

Thanks,

Dan.

stu

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Dan,

I know next to nothing about pedes, but im sure it wont last long in the UK out of its tank - you gotta find that sucker before it croaks :(

Dunno about looking for them, I guess somewhere damp and dark. Whats your house layout like - i guess if it had easy access to the kitchen thats where id go if I was a pede - somewhere like behind the washing machine? Or the bathroom maybe - hell that be a nasty scare if you sat in the bath and that thing popped his head up

But yeah - man what a nightmare to have that loose in the house, be careful where you sit.

Sorry im not much help.

Stu.

aftershock

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hey! Follow the walls and look into every little hole you can find. I found my escape artist in my bathroom. Warm and moist. Look there. 23 degrees celsius is more than enough for a centipede. If it finds moistness 23 degrees keeps it alive. The night temperature in my "animal room" is about 23 degrees and that works out fine.

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
Man, I really hate that you centipede escaped and is now wondering around your home. It doesn't sound to very likely to survive more than a week or two due to how dry the air is there. She might even find the HVAC vents look dark and inviting and have ventured into one of these, where I doubt she'd last a week. I'd be checking your bathroon though as they do have a way of going to moisture, even if it isn't within their reach. Hiding behind the toilet sounds like a great place to be, and there could even be some condensation that ran down to the base where the pede can get a much needed drink

Good Luck

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
Hey, the same thing happened to me with my S.s.dehaani, luckely it was winter here in belgium, i just turned of the heating for 1 whole day, the nex morning i've found him laying on the floor in some kind of coma, after beeing put back in his tank, he became again active,... well this doesn't help you know, cause it's 23°C

i would go searching behind the fridge or behind your radiators (wet dark places ) or beneath some floordecoration.

succes

greetz

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yay! The centipede was found again, although i'm seriously unpopular with my housemates at the moment. They don't like my pets at the best of times, least of all when they are roaming round the house. I was out for the evening, and i got a phonecall from my housemates telling me that they had found it in the front pocket of a laptop case in the room next to mine. It caused a huge amount of panic, i had to tell them to put it into a couple of binbags and leave it until i got home. Anyway, the pede was ok, if a little dehydrated and sluggish. I've put it back into a warm humid tabk and it seems to have recovered froom its ordeal intact. I'm am still completely mystified as to how it got out, i'm going to make a new lockable lid out of perspex sometime this week to ensure it doesn't happen again. Thanks for all of your advice.

cheers,

Dan.

ChoJinn

Arachnopeon
i had a scolo.subs.dehanni escape on me once- same situation i had no idea how the thing got out. I couldnt find it then forgot about it until my sister saw it running around in the basement -- 3 weeks later. I live in Michigan, so I guess any impact the weather might ahve had would be typical.

my suggestion would be to just camp out at night and wait (maybe set a trap or something) - scolo subs are quite nocturnal and I doubt you'd be able to find it hiding somewhere.