eresus walckenaeri orange ring ?

arachnoherp

Arachnosquire
Hey i have a few questions for anyone experienced with this species(subspecies?), so i have a decent sized specmen of this species that i purchased as the orange ring variety meanwhile i picked up 2 slings in a trade as just "eresus walckenaeri" so my question is do all of them have the orange ring or are these 2 distinct color forms or even 2 distinct species or subspecies? I ask because in the event i breed these in the future i do not want to produce hybrids or locality crossbreeds. Also for the orange ring specimen does the orange ring appearing mean its mature or will subadult specimens gain this as well? also will the males get the orange ring prior to the ladybug pattern?

boina

Lady of the mites
Only mature females have the orange ring. Immature males and females are black, immature females have white spots, not sure about immature males. Subadult females may show a hint of the orange ring, like a slightly orange-ish coloring, but not as clear as mature females. Not all spiders show the ring, though. I've heard that the color of the ring depends on the geographical location of the population but I'm not sure about that. Others claim that even spiders from the same sac can vary in color. In nature the ring can have various shades of orange, lighter, darker, more yellow, more red... It's only a color variant, not a subspecies, let alone a species.

arachnoherp

Arachnosquire
Only mature females have the orange ring. Immature males and females are black, immature females have white spots, not sure about immature males. Subadult females may show a hint of the orange ring, like a slightly orange-ish coloring, but not as clear as mature females. Not all spiders show the ring, though. I've heard that the color of the ring depends on the geographical location of the population but I'm not sure about that. Others claim that even spiders from the same sac can vary in color. In nature the ring can have various shades of orange, lighter, darker, more yellow, more red... It's only a color variant, not a subspecies, let alone a species.
Thanks a bunch! Do you by chance have any pictures to show coloration of immature specimens? The white spots on immature females that is ? Also do you have aby experience reproducing these?

boina

Lady of the mites
Thanks a bunch! Do you by chance have any pictures to show coloration of immature specimens? The white spots on immature females that is ? Also do you have aby experience reproducing these?
Sorry, I don't - I don't even keep them, I've only seen them in nature. This link is in German, but they have pretty good pics and you only need to know that Weibchen = female and Männchen = male, and halbwüchsiges Weibchen = juvenile female ;)

From what I've heard breeding is difficult, though... there are slings being sold from Eastern Europe and I don't even know if those are captive bred or if they just picked up gravid females / females with eggsac.

Venom100

Arachnosquire
Hey i have a few questions for anyone experienced with this species(subspecies?), so i have a decent sized specmen of this species that i purchased as the orange ring variety meanwhile i picked up 2 slings in a trade as just "eresus walckenaeri" so my question is do all of them have the orange ring or are these 2 distinct color forms or even 2 distinct species or subspecies? I ask because in the event i breed these in the future i do not want to produce hybrids or locality crossbreeds. Also for the orange ring specimen does the orange ring appearing mean its mature or will subadult specimens gain this as well? also will the males get the orange ring prior to the ladybug pattern?
would like to bring this topic back up.
I have:
0.1.2 (Eresus Walckenaeri)
0.0.1 (Eresus “Orange Ring”)
0.0.1 (Eresus Guerini)
I’d like to bring this back up and see if any new information has developed.
Do Eresus Walckenaeri mature females have to develop the orange pattern?
Or can mature females maintain solid black color?

mrfang

Arachnopeon
Do Eresus Walckenaeri mature females have to develop the orange pattern?
Or can mature females maintain solid black color?
Based on photos people have posted, some mature females do not develop the orange ring. I don't know if the orange ring is a variant or a different species.