epiandrous fusillae

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Hi all,
I watched (for the first time) one of my sling/juvie t's molting. Fascinating :) I noticed the spinnerets, moving like legs. However, right below them, on the underside, I noticed a smaller pair of what I assume to be epiandrous fusillae. Can these be seen, without a microscope? If so, this is a pretty good indication I have a male, right?

Peace,
Gillian

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi Gillian,
What you are seeing isn't the epiandrous fusillae, you're looking at the second pair of spineretts, every T has them. The epiandrous fusillae are located just in front (anteriorly) of the epigastric furrow (that line that sits in between the first pair of booklungs). While the fusillae are in fact spineretts, they look just like a dark patch of setae, resembling the shape of a smooth cornered triangle. It is noticeable to the naked eye in some species, in others it's hard to see even with a magnifying glass. In all cases once you learn to see them, you'll be positively sexing every sling you have. I think it's the only method that works 100% in slings.

Cheers

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Steve,
Thanks! Hmmm...and I thought I had made a clever discovery..:)

Peace,
Gillian