Ephebopus sp.

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, it doesn't have blue chelicera, and it still has a green abdomen, so in my opinion it looks more like an uatuman than a cyognathus.

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks for your opinion, Venom.

I wonder if there is anything in the papers on E. uatuman about the green abdomen. I guess that's another one I need to look up. When this species first came in there was question as far as whether it was indeed uatuman or not.

I was hoping there had been some solid decision made, but haven't heard of any yet. Thanks again,

Paul

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
It looks like a very slightly smaller specimen of uatuman than the one pictured on my site... Definitely the most likely candidate of the Ephebopus we're presently aware of.

bill

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Atrax
I can see some similarities between your's and the pics on Rick's site.
http://www.birdspiders.com/archive/1/0156.htm

Here's Bill's pic from Invertepet.
http://www.invertepet.com/images/euatuman1.jpg

Here's another pic I found in a google search...
http://pets.tut.by/podium/pauk/9.shtml

I can tell you it;s not rufescens, murinus or cyanognathus. :)

Atrax
Awesome, Atrax! Thanks for posting those!

I see the similarities, too, however, the one I have has goldish green all over it's abdomen and not just near the anterior dorsal side of the abdomen.

Bill and I go through the some of the same wholesalers, and what we both have came from Pat at Regal's (fairly certain about this, feel free to interject, Bill). Pat said they were trying to get a positive ID as E. uatuman but I never heard anything more about it, and was just wondering if they did end up getting IDed for sure or not. The one I have is super flighty and pretty, but by her behavior, I suspect she would feel the need to bite me to defend herself if I tried to handle her, so I use a hands off approach with this particular girl!

Anyway, thanks again, Atrax, for going to the trouble of posting those links for me! That was really cool of you!

Take care,

Paul

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by invertepet
It looks like a very slightly smaller specimen of uatuman than the one pictured on my site... Definitely the most likely candidate of the Ephebopus we're presently aware of.

bill
Hi Bill,

Yeah, she's a juvenile (hmmm...calling her a she, though I'm not 100% sure on that, she's a pistol and very quick and not easy to look over).

How large have you seen these, Bill? True on what you say about them being the most likely candidate!

Thanks, Bill!

Take care,

Paul

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi Paul.
It was no trouble. :) Glad to help.
I wonder if the larger green area on your T's abdomen is a characteristic of it being a juvie? Anyone raised one of these from s'linghood?

Atrax

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I suppose technically it should be referred to as Ephebopus sp. "uatuman" but in cases like this when it's probably the right latin (or it's a new species) I usually just go with the flow, technically correct or not. Notice the excessive use of C. thorelli for what most taxonomists are pretty sure is schioedtei.

Anyway, mine are about this size... About 4.5", roughly.

bill