Ephebopus cyanognathus

Jeff_C

ArachnoAddicted
Old Timer
Hey All,

I just picked one of these but I can't find a caresheet for them. Of course I thought I had one saved but I can't find it. Other than high humidty I can't remember any specifics.

Does anyone have a caresheet or other details they can share?

Here's mine:

I can't wait for it to get its colors.

Thanks,
Jeff

safetypinup

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey Jeff...Congrats on your new addition--these are great spiders :)
I've got a couple of them, myself, and they remain at the top of my list of "prized species" in my collection ;)

As far as care, they are pretty simple, and are a fairly hardy species, in my experience.

They do need relatively high humidity, which you can accomplish several ways (including a large water dish for adults, or decreased ventillation, etc). Spiderlings will climb a fair bit if allowed, so a piece of cork bark would make a nice web anchor (and they web quite a bit). The individuals in my collection have proven themselves to be great eaters, but pretty slow growers, so be prepared. My female that I got in 2001 has only molted twice in my care, and is now a whopping *2 INCHES*! lol...
Basically, their care is identical to the other members of the Ephebopus genus. Not sure if you have kept any other species (ie murinus, uatuman, rufescans, etc), but if you can find caresheets for any of those, they should be basically the same for this species...
Please let me know if you need any other specifics.

Here's my gal, Azura, fresh out of a molt:

Jeff_C

ArachnoAddicted
Old Timer
Thanks for the info....

Given that glacial growth rate it might be a while before this guy sees a water disk. LOL BUT, i would be very happy if it kept its sling/juvenile colors for a while so I ain't going to complain.

Great pic btw.

Jeff

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That's strange, safetypinup, I have an Ephebopus murinus which I got as a 1" sling in May '02, and it is now 3.5" . How warm are you keeping yours? I dunno, maybe I'm just overfeeding mine:D .

As for care, I keep my sling/ juv on about 3 inches of PRE-moistened peatmoss. It really helps with the humidity to start out with already- moist substrate. I mix my peatmoss with water until it holds a shape, and water comes out when you squeeze it. Put that in a tub with only a few holes in the lid, and it holds moisture a very long time, and keeps the enclosure plenty humid. I found that my sling did fine with only a few holes poked in the tub lid. As for temperature, mine does best at 76 - 82 F, but has survived lower temps. If your cyanognathus is anything like my murinus was as a sling, it will SNARF down the crix like there's no tomorrow!

There is a caresheet for E.murinus here:

http://hem.spray.se/minax/artskotsel/emurinus_e.html

And another one here:

http://www.tarantulas.20megsfree.com/skel/skeleton.html

safetypinup

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Originally posted by Venom
That's strange, safetypinup, I have an Ephebopus murinus which I got as a 1" sling in May '02, and it is now 3.5" . How warm are you keeping yours? I dunno, maybe I'm just overfeeding mine:D .
Probably not...my E murinus slings are growing a LOT faster than my cyanognathus...Must just be species-specific...Then again, I haven't raised hundreds of cyanognathus, so I could have just gotten a "dud"....hehe.

I have noticed my other, slightly smaller cyan. has been growing a bit faster...So who knows :p

petitegreeneyes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey Safetypinup, that sure is a beauty you have there. I have been really contemplating adding one of them to my collection and your pic sure does sway me to do it.

Jeff_C

ArachnoAddicted
Old Timer
btw, this guy moves like he's got his own transporter. He can cover 6" in less than a blink. It took an incredible amount of time to get the picture. Plus he is built like he is aboreal but I thought they were terrestrial. which is it?

Jeff

esmoot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have 6 E.cyans of different sizes. Like jcohen9999 said speedy. All of mine built burrows with a small web that leads a few inches above the ground. Mine will also jump like aboreals. I have read and heard from safetypinup that they are in the same family as Avics.

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ephebopus are very weird T's. They are in fact, terrestrials ( obligate burrowers), but are built like arboreals, and are classified in Aviculariinae! Plus their urticating hairs are on their chelicera instead of their abdomen! My murinus has jumped like an avic, voluntarily springing from my hand to the carpet, and yet spends most of its time underground!

Martin H.

Arachnoangel
Old Timer

Plus their urticating hairs are on their chelicera instead of their abdomen!
At the chelicera too? I thought only on the distal prolateral surface of the pedipalpal femur!
  • MARSHALL, S. D. & UETZ, G. W. (1990): The pedipalpal brush of Ephebopus sp. (Araneae, Theraphosidae): evidence of a new site for urticating hairs. Bull. Br. Arachnol. Soc. 8(4): 122-124.
all the best,
Martin

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hmm, I could be wrong there. My book says they are on the femora of the pedipalps. I had thought they were on the chelicera. They way they urticate, it does look like they are using the pedipalps to scrape the hairs from the chelicera. Perhaps it is vice versa. Sorry if I was incorrect there!

LCDXX

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
WOW! That's one of the most beautiful Ts I've seen in a while - does this species retain a lot of that color as they age?

(queue another spec for my ever-growing list of Ts)

LCDXX

Martin H.

Arachnoangel
Old Timer

Hmm, I could be wrong there. My book says they are on the femora of the pedipalps. I had thought they were on the chelicera. They way they urticate, it does look like they are using the pedipalps to scrape the hairs from the chelicera. Perhaps it is vice versa. Sorry if I was incorrect there!
from the above mentioned article:
"Summary: Theraphosid spiders of the Genus Ephebopus Simon possess a distinctive pad of hairs on the distal prolateral surface of the pedipalps down across the basal segments of the chelicerae. Scanning electron microscopy revealed that these hairs are similar in structure to the abdominal urticating hairs found on other New World theraphosids. Mice experimentally exposed..."

all the best,
Martin

quiroga

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i was planning to get a e cyanognathus. are these things aggresive?

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
'Grats. That's a 6 year old post you just resurrected.

Yes, E cyanognathus is fairly defensive. There are definitely snarkier T's out there but Ephebopus isn't very friendly. They can fling urticating hairs from the mouth of their burow with their pedipalps and they're pretty accurate with them. They'll also throw threat displays but i've never personally seen one try to bite. I suspect they would if you gave them enough reason to.

Also they're skittish and shy, comparable more or less to Haplopelma but maybe just a bit less aggro.

bamato

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Here is a picture of my female's "hello" if I ever see her.

Note the dripping venom.

They are a bit defensive. Definately one of my favorites though :) Well worth it!

Bird Man

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Where are her pretty blue fangs bamato? I got one in about 2 weeks ago and here she is...

You can just see one fang here...

Now she'll show us both

But once she was all out in the public eye, It was impossiable to get her to show them baby blues...

I'm picking up 4 more of these babies this weekend. I can't wait.