Ephebopus cyanognathus sling care?

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I cant find any caresheets on Blue Fangs, specificly slings. Can anyone point me to one or give me some information?

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Just make sure it has plenty of substrate to burrow, keep on the moist side. That's how I raise 'em. If small enough, add a little fake leaf or somethine, they sometimes like to web around a little bit to something.

-Sean

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just make sure it has plenty of substrate to burrow, keep on the moist side. That's how I raise 'em. If small enough, add a little fake leaf or somethine, they sometimes like to web around a little bit to something.

-Sean
thanks, what temps do u keep them at? What are their eating habbits like?

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Normal temps, ~75 degrees for all my T's.

While very small they seem quite content on scavenging young crix that have had their head squished. (Its better then 2-3 pinheads).

-Sean

Tarantula Fangs

Arachnosquire
Hmm.. I just rehoused my, recently molted, E. Cyanognathus into a 50 dram vial. It's been a whole day and I've yet to see it burrow, it stays on the side of the enclosure, I know I must be doing something wrong. I'll be posting pics soon, let me know what you guys think, thanks for the help.

Last edited:

Tarantula Fangs

Arachnosquire
Alright so, here are the pics I promised, I'm wondering if perhaps I need to add more ventilation or just replace the whole enclosure itself, also should I wet the substrate further? :? I use Cocofiber and keep my T at 75-80F. Thanks again.

Attachments

Sana

Arachnoprince
I would honestly put some holes in the sides of the container for better cross ventilation. It seems awfully wet in there.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I would honestly put some holes in the sides of the container for better cross ventilation. It seems awfully wet in there.
+1 its a tarantula not a goldfish! Lol... Dump the sub and squeeze it out so that barely any water drips out of your fist ,he should start burrowing in a day or two...

eldondominicano

Arachnobaron
+1 its a tarantula not a goldfish! Lol... Dump the sub and squeeze it out so that barely any water drips out of your fist ,he should start burrowing in a day or two...
Agreed, I've got two of these buggers. I have no holes on the top, just on the sides

IMG_2893[1].jpg

eldondominicano

Arachnobaron
This was mine the first ay with a little starter burrow that it adapted. After one night, it webbed up and even ate!. but as seen the holes are alternated up and down in my case about an inch to 1.5 inches apart. Sub is topsoil and coco fiber moist enough to clump yet no liquid seeps out. If anything I dampen the surface every now and then depending on the rate of evaporation of my sub

---------- Post added 02-07-2015 at 08:56 PM ----------

Hmm.. I just rehoused my, recently molted, E. Cyanognathus into a 50 dram vial. It's been a whole day and I've yet to see it burrow, it stays on the side of the enclosure, I know I must be doing something wrong. I'll be posting pics soon, let me know what you guys think, thanks for the help.
Many times these burrowers wont do much till night break

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
+1. Or better yet, why not use a 16 oz deli cup like everyone else does?

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Alright so, here are the pics I promised, I'm wondering if perhaps I need to add more ventilation or just replace the whole enclosure itself, also should I wet the substrate further? :? I use Cocofiber and keep my T at 75-80F. Thanks again.
I'm pretty sure that's a female BTW.. Its a long shot at this size but I'm calling it.Lol!

David VB

Arachnosquire
Hey, this is how i keep my sling, it's a little pot/jar from nuts :p :

Front view :

From the top :

It's burrow :

The back and top with holes for ventilation :

Greetings.

Tarantula Fangs

Arachnosquire
I'm pretty sure that's a female BTW.. Its a long shot at this size but I'm calling it.Lol!
If you are correct then you sir are a beast and I am not worthy!! :pray: lol. I guess we'll have to wait and see, I'll be sure to post vent pics when "she" gets older.

---------- Post added 02-08-2015 at 10:09 AM ----------

Thanks for that, in all honesty I had just wet the enclosure before taking the pic, I also just checked back today and it seems to be doing much better, doesn't climb on the enclosure wall, even though at the time I took the picture it got closer to the substrate. I also see some webbing and it has been eating, I think for now I will just keep an eye on this little one. :) But I really do want to get a deli cup enclosure, I went to Walmart and couldn't find any, I think I will check other local stores.

---------- Post added 02-08-2015 at 10:11 AM ----------

what!! not a goldfish?? the guy at the pet store must have lied to me then! I'm outraged. hahaha, ok I think I will take your advice. ;)

---------- Post added 02-08-2015 at 10:13 AM ----------

yeah, I went to Walmart this morning, surprised they didn't carry any, I will check other stores. ;)

---------- Post added 02-08-2015 at 10:14 AM ----------

Very nice, I really like that setup, you gave me some good Ideas. :)

---------- Post added 02-08-2015 at 10:16 AM ----------

I think you're right about that one, it's been somewhat busy making it's little web.

Sam_Peanuts

Arachnobaron
To find deli-cups, I have to go to a store specialized in packing or I can't find any around here.
There's pretty much only one place I found that will let me buy less than 500 so it's not always easy to find locally.

You can order them online very easily though(if you do, the solo brand it the best one I've seen for the plastic transparency) and shipping should be much more reasonable in the states than around here.

cold blood

Staff member
+1. Or better yet, why not use a 16 oz deli cup like everyone else does?
+1 X 100

Vials are a very poor choice for housing. A 16oz deli cup will be able to be cross ventilated (unlike a vial), which is vitally important for species that require higher moisture...ignore it and you'll end up will all kinds of trouble, like mold, mites or a dead t. The deli cup will also provide more room for the t to burrow and visibility is very good for you. Its also much more stable and less likely to get knocked over as the base of a vial is quite small.

I hope its dried out a bit, but I know in a vial things can take a long time to dry.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
One day is not enough time for most to settle in and create a burrow. Took mine several days to start burrowing upon rehousing it.

advan

oOOo
Staff member
+1 X 100

Vials are a very poor choice for housing. A 16oz deli cup will be able to be cross ventilated (unlike a vial), which is vitally important for species that require higher moisture...ignore it and you'll end up will all kinds of trouble, like mold, mites or a dead t. The deli cup will also provide more room for the t to burrow and visibility is very good for you. Its also much more stable and less likely to get knocked over as the base of a vial is quite small.

I hope its dried out a bit, but I know in a vial things can take a long time to dry.
Hmmm.......I must be doing it wrong. :?

That vial is fine for now. Just use a Sharpie and make a burrow on the side. Add some moss for it to incorporate into the burrow's opening.

When you do rehouse, I would suggest skipping the 16oz and going for the 32oz for this species. You can buy deli cups with pre-drilled holes online in bulk for cheap. :)