Ephebopus cyanognathus shyness, problem

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
I recently did an entire cleanout of all my spider bins and got new bins after 10 years of the same ones. My blue fang has always been super shy, always hiding in her burrow which was under a piece of cork bark. The bin she was in was WAY too large for her, so I downsized her a bit. Her old hide wouldn't fit in there, so I gave her a new one. It's got the same curve and I dug out a bit under it so she'd find a burrow entrance.

Since she's been in the new bin (3 weeks), she hasn't made any attempt to web and just huddles in a corner looking stressed out. She hasn't been inside the new hide at all, as far as I can tell.

Does anyone have advice on how I can make her comfortable again? I'm really worried about her stressing herself to death. I've had her almost ten years and I don't want to lose her over a cage change.

IMG_7195.jpg

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
She should be able to adapt. It may just take more time. Have you had her from a sling?

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Just throwing things out there, i've only recently began to keep this species.
Would it perhaps work to try and feed her? That way she might get some webbing down and start from there?
I can imagine you're worried.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Sometimes it can take months. I rehouse my AF H. namaquensis a month or 2 back and she hasnt moved from the corner. She is also sitting in the corner crunched up. I believe she may just be waiting it out for a moult. Is your girl due a moult soon?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Sometimes it can take months. I rehouse my AF H. namaquensis a month or 2 back and she hasnt moved from the corner.
I remember my 0.1 Megaphobema robustum that I received for free years ago. She was housed in a so wrong (no... wrong isn't exactly the right term for describe that cage, but oh well) enclosure, smaller for her size, with hot glued aquarium pretty hard "rocks" (for real) and for substrate... a swamp.

Took her home, rehoused in no time of course. Took more than a month for burrow again.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Ah the good old solid aquarium rocks :rolleyes:.. perfect for the burrower.
Yup. That was a glass cage custom enclosure (he hot glued those rocks) that a complete choosy man made for his three T's. I've said "choosy" because he wasn't a beginner.

Beginners do mistakes (like everyone, one moment) but at least (majority of those) are in good faith and they want to learn. They are moved by a genuine passion. He, on the other hand, bought T's only for look "alternative", pfff.

Thank God I saved those T's thanks to hir Lady that was pissed off. It's good to save other people romantics, ah ah ;-)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Nothing you can do. If you were uprooted after 10 years into a a new pad, you'd feel the same way. Everything she is familiar with is gone, this is normal behavior for many Ts.

It's nice to see someone on here with a 10 yr AF of this species!

I'm really worried about her stressing herself to death
This is almost impossible. Provide cover for her, plastic plants etc, not just a hole/hide in the sub. I find this helps w/some species.

My blue fang has always been super shy, always hiding in her burrow which was under a piece of cork bark.
Not shy, this is normal behavior

cold blood

Staff member
Keep it dark and give it time...fossorials can take a long time to re-acclimate....longer than most other ts IME.

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
Just throwing things out there, i've only recently began to keep this species.
Would it perhaps work to try and feed her? That way she might get some webbing down and start from there?
I can imagine you're worried.
I've been feeding her normally. On the plus side, she's is eating.

Sometimes it can take months. I rehouse my AF H. namaquensis a month or 2 back and she hasnt moved from the corner. She is also sitting in the corner crunched up. I believe she may just be waiting it out for a moult. Is your girl due a moult soon?
Not due for a molt for another 8 months.

Nothing you can do. If you were uprooted after 10 years into a a new pad, you'd feel the same way. Everything she is familiar with is gone, this is normal behavior for many Ts.

It's nice to see someone on here with a 10 yr AF of this species!
She had the old tank and hide for two years, but I get the point.

Most of our spiders are between 10-20 years old :)

------------

From what I'm gathering, it's all normal and I'm just being a nervous spider-mom. Nothing new there. This is the spider who I chose to tattoo on my right hand, so I'm pretty attached to her ;)