Epehebopus murinus juvenile pics

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Awesome!

Ephebopus murinus are in my top twenty coolest tarantulas. An old world tarantula, trapped in a new world body. Very lovely.
john

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
What are those T's like to care for? what setup do they need? after those pics i think ill seriously consider buying one. I wanted a suntiger real bad but i dont think im ready for old world aboreal semi-agressive spiders! my a.geniculata scares me =)

Mark

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The skeleton tarantula I used to have had a completely black carapace. WHy is it that yours is so light colored? Is it just a color morph?

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Originally posted by JacenBeers
The skeleton tarantula I used to have had a completely black carapace. WHy is it that yours is so light colored? Is it just a color morph?
Are you sure it was E. murinus? A. seemanni are sometime known as skeleton tarantulas as well. Every picture I've ever seen of E. murinus has the light carapace.....

Scott

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Originally posted by Bjorgly
What are those T's like to care for? what setup do they need?

Mark
Hey Mark,

They're a new world obligate burrower. Right now, mine is in one of my arachnohomes and has made a few tunnels in the enclosure. They need a higher humidity which I give by overflowing the water dish once a week. Room temp seems to be working fine for them. They are also a defensive and skittish species. One of the interesting things about this species is that their urticating hairs are on their pedipalps, not on their abdomen. Awesome species IMO.

Scott

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
DEFNIATELY going to consider getting one of those beauties. Thanks for the info Scott.

Mark

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ya , I've got one that looks just like the top pic . They need moderately high humidity , and a substrate for burrowing. Lovely T's !!!!!

ArachnoJoost

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Is the care for E. murinus about the same as E. cyanognathus (blue fang)? A guy here in holland has a breeding program with them, has 4 viable eggsacks right now, if I'm lucky I can get my hands on one of them (a sling, not a sac...) , but I want to know what kind of cage/humidity/temps they need first.
Thanx,
Joost

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It wasnt A Seemani I have had A Seemani before. It was a Murinus alright.

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm pretty sure you can keep them like a murinus : give them a deep substrate, and pretty high humidity and temp. I put my murinus sling in a small plastic tub with about 1" of very moist pre-moistened substrate ( 100% peatmoss ). It dug it's own burrow, and is thriving in very high humidity, low ventilation, and moderate heat ( 75 - 80 APPROX ) . Mold hasn't been much of a problem. She ( I think ) eats with a veangeance !!