Environmental factors in temperment?

jnfenrir

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I’d first like to mention that I understand that tarantulas are natural predators, and not cute, fuzzy pets. I would NEVER expect a T to do anything but get defensive when intruded upon, no matter what species or how long I had owned it.

So in hopes of better understanding the temperment of my T’s, I’d like to ask all the more experienced keepers out there if they have noticed any environmental factors having an effect the temperment/aggressiveness of their spiders. I’m curious about factors like:

- Temperature and humidity
- Amount/color of incoming light, day/night cycles
- More/less hiding places and foliage
- More/less provided food
- Size of enclosure
- Ambient noise

I just want to get a better idea of how to make my Ts happier and more at ease, and possibly even easier to handle when necessary. Also, I know I’m asking for a lot of information here, so if there’s a good publication out there on the subject, I’d definitely be willing to check it out.

And in case you’re all wondering, I am posting this because I have a female B. albopilosum who arbitrarily decided after her last molt that she now hates absolutely everything. Every time I try to get her out, she scrambles away, then whirls around to attack the tongs. So I'm feeling both highly unlucky and a little frustrated right now, and any info at all would be amazing. Many thanks in advance!

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
well, first of all, i'm not the most experienced, but i'll give you some info i've noticed.

I’d like to ask all the more experienced keepers out there if they have noticed any environmental factors having an effect the temperment/aggressiveness of their spiders. I’m curious about factors like:

- Temperature and humidity
temperature, as i've noticed, has a bit of an effect on the temperant, only in the way that as the temp gets cooler, the T's metabolism slows down a bit and in turn makes them slower. that's about it. most of mine are very friendly cause it's cold here in CO! ;)

- Amount/color of incoming light, day/night cycles
amount of light bugs some burrowing T's. some people say their haps never come out in full light.

- More/less hiding places and foliage
mine seem to be far less defensive if they have a very secure home to hide in and get away from pesky intruders.

- Ambient noise
noise bothers some Ts and not others.

And in case you’re all wondering, I am posting this because I have a female B. albopilosum who arbitrarily decided after her last molt that she now hates absolutely everything.
hmmm, that just happens sometimes. give some time to change it's mind again ;)

hope that helped at least a little!!

hairmetalspider

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I’d first like to mention that I understand that tarantulas are natural predators, and not cute, fuzzy pets. I would NEVER expect a T to do anything but get defensive when intruded upon, no matter what species or how long I had owned it.

I disagree, they are cute fuzzy pets. Some of them.

And not all T's get defensive.

That seems like kind of harsh statement to make about T's.

People, on the other hand...

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
-Temperature and humidity: humidity no but temp can...the colder it is can effect the activeness of a T, so in theroy yes

- Amount/color of incoming light, day/night cycles: ever spot checked a set-up with a flash light?? it can make them jumpy thats for sure but to say it causes them to be defensive maybe since it causes shadows....

- More/less hiding places and foliage: dont think so..as long as they have a hide they have webbed up that should suffice...

- More/less provided food: no

- Size of enclosure: no

- Ambient noise: no

these are imo so...wayne

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I have seen bugs from pet stores that were either very defensive or very uncharacteristically non defensive. I believe that some species (think cobalt blue, H. lividium) that are not allowed to burrow, have not made themselves at home and are less likely to be defensive. IT seems they are more defensive when they are comfortable and feel at home.
Feel at home is probably a poor choice of words lol

jnfenrir

Arachnosquire
Old Timer

I disagree, they are cute fuzzy pets. Some of them.

And not all T's get defensive.

That seems like kind of harsh statement to make about T's.

People, on the other hand...
It's true, they are fantastically adorable, and I do love handling mine. I just meant that any T having an aggressive/defensive attitude should never come as a surprise to anyone, given their predatory nature.

I have seen bugs from pet stores that were either very defensive or very uncharacteristically non defensive. I believe that some species (think cobalt blue, H. lividium) that are not allowed to burrow, have not made themselves at home and are less likely to be defensive. It seems they are more defensive when they are comfortable and feel at home.
Feel at home is probably a poor choice of words lol
I think this probably explains the situation with my B. albopilosum. She has plenty of substrate to burrow in, as well as a nice, roomy hide, but she spends most of her time right out in the open, and hasn't webbed or burrowed at all. In fact, she's actually a bit narcoleptic, and is prone to just settling down wherever and falling asleep! I guess this means she's pretty comfortable, heh.

And when I actually can get her out and away from her home, she does calm down a bit, but it takes a lot of patience and a little persistence to get to that point because she clearly doesn't want to leave. My G. rosea (may he rest in peace, the crazy bastard) actually webbed more, and still eagerly came out to visit when his tank was opened. Although, maybe I shouldn't be looking to G. rosea as a good example of anything. {D

@Widowman:

Nice post! That very well confirms what I've both read and experienced as a fairly new T owner (I've only owned 2 T's since I started this hobby about a year ago). It's nice to know that my experience with my T's has been roughly the same as that of someone who is more experienced. Kinda helps me feel like I'm on the right track with all of this. ;)

As for the topic, I'll go ahead and add that neither my G. rosea or my B. albopilosum have had any reponse to light whatsoever. Even when I placed a low-watt halogen bulb (only for a short while until I got a plain red bulb) over the tanks to provide a little extra heat during the winter, both T's were still out in the open quite a bit.

This brings me to another question/curiosity. I use natural light bulbs (cool whitish-blue, as opposed to standard warm yellow/orange) in my room, and my T's both still spend a lot of time out in the open, even with the lights on in the room. Does anyone here think that their reaction (or non-reaction, as it were) to this light might have more to do with the type/color of light than the amount? Anyone else tried these natural light bulbs?

And to everyone: Thanks for the responses so far! You guys rock. :cool:

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
This brings me to another question/curiosity. I use natural light bulbs (cool whitish-blue, as opposed to standard warm yellow/orange) in my room, and my T's both still spend a lot of time out in the open, even with the lights on in the room.
don't know about the types of bulbs and their effects. but i will say this, a light or heat source is not needed, as long as your room stays above 60F. as long as you are comfortable, your T is comfortable. i used a red bulb when i first started, but it was a pain and it did nothing for the T's. they are fine at room temp. in fact, if done incorrectly, a light source will fry your T.

jnfenrir

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
don't know about the types of bulbs and their effects. but i will say this, a light or heat source is not needed, as long as your room stays above 60F.
Yeah, the light stays off now, but I live in an old P.O.S. apartment, so during the winter, my room was not above 60F, heh. :eek:

Nich

Curator of glass boxes
Old Timer
IMHO, size of enclosure and temps are the biggest factors.

Higher temps generally result in more active T's, and with defensive sp. they are more apt to come out or defend.
Smaller tanks, if small enought are seen as a burrow to some, and they treat the whole tank as their "hole"

bugster

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
G. rosea changed behavior after large feeding

I agree with what was said above about environmental factors, particularly the temperature situation. I have to mention though that my G. rosea definitely is more active after a large feeding (say 4-5 crickets or a large katydid). During a fast he sits in his burrow all day or does his 'pet rock' thing, but after he does feed, he's all over the cage day or night. It seems so directly correlated to his feeding schedule/success that I can't discount feeding is an environmental factor to be considered.