Endanger species

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Is there a list anywhere of endangered tarantulas? Or close to endangered? I don't know if there are even that many, but I would like to get a good list.

Thanks

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow,was THAT ever a nightmare to flip through! Cool site though!

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I never knew smithis were endangered, because they are so readily available up here. But perhaps they are in the wild.. Just never thought of it.. Same with regalis, really.. Buut there you go! You learn something everyday.

KnightinGale

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
All Brachypelmas are listed on CITES II at least. Smithis took a hard hit back in the day because of their beauty, size, docility etc. Being in a couple movies probably didn't help either. But they are readily available again because of captive breeding. Unlike roseas where most you see will be wildcaught, all smithis in the stores should be captive bred specimens. It helps that they give a whooole lot of babies when they are successfully bred too. c:) They can have around a thousand at a time. (That's alot of little vials.)

pato_chacoana

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I never knew smithis were endangered, because they are so readily available up here. But perhaps they are in the wild.. Just never thought of it.. Same with regalis, really.. Buut there you go! You learn something everyday.
They are, and even though some people have success in breeding them, there are still huge WC exports to Europe.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Does anyone know or can find info on whether or not Poecilotheria are included on CITES? All I can find is the proposal to include them.

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
They are, and even though some people have success in breeding them, there are still huge WC exports to Europe.
Hey, I'm not doubting it, just never crossed me mind, as my petshop has 15 smithis and 6 regalis in various sizes. But it definetly makes sense, when I actually put some thought into it. I just never did..

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Does anyone know or can find info on whether or not Poecilotheria are included on CITES? All I can find is the proposal to include them.
Definately.. If you filter, on the left hand side, on Taxonomy and navigate through Animalia, Arthropoda then Arachnida you can see that most of the Poec's are on that list tho many are in "decreasing" status.. :(

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Is the redlist and CITES the same thing? All brachypelma are on the CITES II list and only one (the smithi) is on the redlist. So are pokies on CITES II?

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Last edited:

smallara98

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I never knew smithi's were endangered . Someone once told me that about 3 years ago and I didnt believe them cause at my petstore they had like 6 , and like 15 pokies lol .

Lorum

Arachnosquire
Tarantula species listed on CITES are quoted as follows:

Aphonopelma albiceps
Aphonopelma pallidum
Brachypelma spp.

And, well, you know... there is no such thing as Aphonopelma albiceps. These species are listed on the appendix number II, so they can't be transported between countries without special permits.

Brachypelma species are still being illegally collected here in México (they are sold in local pet marketplaces). The most common species you can see in these places is Brachypelma auratum. They are sold by, maybe, hundreds a year. They are kept in transparent plastic bags or small deli cups with (most of the times) toxic substrates or without them.

Now it is not so common to find wild caught Brachypelma smithi specimens on sale. There are people here who breed mexican species in very big amounts to "invade" the hobby with captive bred organisms, but there are still a lot of places where people buy illegal wild caught animals.

BTW, I have never bought (nor will) wild caught T's. Hobbysts in USA buy a big amount of wild caught south american species, don't you? I'm not saying all of you do, but that also contributes (IMO) with the trouble of natural populations size (I know, there isn't any important investigation about Theraphosid populations ecology...).

Last edited: