Encyocratella olivacea reach 2nd instar

dianedfisher

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I was out of town last week and came home to find a cuddle puddle of E.olivacea being carefully guarded by their mother. I removed and rehoused her. She didn't go without a fight. I had a lot to do this weekend, so I haven't separated them yet and don't have a count. I am really happy about this breeding. I wish I could say the same about my Monocentropus balfouri sac. It was a dismal failure. Diane

seanbond

Arachnoking
Old Timer
looks very nice lmk about the slings, iv always wanted them.

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Awesome job Diane. The mom looks great. Can't wait to hear the count. I'm interested in how many these guys pump out per sac. Sorry about the balfouri, better luck next time. :)

Helix

Arachnopeon
Really nice to see those slings! And their mom looks great also.

Im thinking about getting one of those for my birthday..
Could you give some more info on the E. olivacea? How do they behave? I heard that they can be a bit nervous like P. irminia.. Also, I have read that they are semi-arboreal.
How moist do you keep them? And does anyone know how potent is their venom?

dianedfisher

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Really nice to see those slings! And their mom looks great also.

Im thinking about getting one of those for my birthday..
Could you give some more info on the E. olivacea? How do they behave? I heard that they can be a bit nervous like P. irminia.. Also, I have read that they are semi-arboreal.
How moist do you keep them? And does anyone know how potent is their venom?
Don't know anything about the potency of their venom. I raised this female (and 4 brothers) from spiderlings and once they reached about 2 inches her attitude got progressively more defensive. They are heavy webbers and form tunnels in the webbing. I kept them dry and on the bottom shelf of my spider cabinet at cooler temps with a humidifer pumping moisture into the cabinet a couple of times daily. I never kept them wet. They are a montane species from Mt. Meru. I'll attach a link to one of the few sheets I've found with information about them. Mine were very reclusive. Never ate until I closed their container and gave them privacy but they are very pretty even as spiderlings.
Jason: The sac yielded 58 spiderlings.
Diane
http://www.baboonspiders.de/files/Raab.Timo.2005.Presumptive.habitat.of.Encyocratella.olivacea.pdf

Last edited:

smallara98

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I want some more pics of the mom :clap: You could probably sell all of those and get a new car :p

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Very SWEET. They look like OBT's with really long legs;P
Great job!!!

PIG-

dianedfisher

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I want some more pics of the mom :clap: /QUOTE]
I'm a lousy photographer. Eric Reynolds (go terps) has some awesome shots in the gallery. His photos are what made me search for this particular species until I finally found some spiderlings for sale. Diane

Arachnoholic420

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
:worship: You definilty deserve a hands down Congrats!!!:worship:
What an outstanding achievement!!!:clap::clap:
This is what you call a breeding success!!!!:clap::clap:{D
This one is a must for the hobby!!!!
We need more of these guys around!!!!:}
Congrats again!!!

Helix

Arachnopeon
Don't know anything about the potency of their venom. I raised this female (and 4 brothers) from spiderlings and once they reached about 2 inches her attitude got progressively more defensive. They are heavy webbers and form tunnels in the webbing. I kept them dry and on the bottom shelf of my spider cabinet at cooler temps with a humidifer pumping moisture into the cabinet a couple of times daily. I never kept them wet. They are a montane species from Mt. Meru. I'll attach a link to one of the few sheets I've found with information about them. Mine were very reclusive. Never ate until I closed their container and gave them privacy but they are very pretty even as spiderlings.
Jason: The sac yielded 58 spiderlings.
Diane
http://www.baboonspiders.de/files/Raab.Timo.2005.Presumptive.habitat.of.Encyocratella.olivacea.pdf
Thank you!

And yeah, they do look a bit OBTish as slings :)