Enclosures suitable for slings?

KodiakWavingBear

Arachnopeon
Hello all!
This weekend I am going to attend Repticon and I hope purchase some slings while I am there, C. versicolor and P. pulcher/P. cambridgei. These will be my first slings as my A. avicularia was a juvenile when I bought it and I was wondering if these enclosures are suitable for slings. I know that the size of the enclosure will mostly depend on the slings size, but since I won't be able to tell until I actually go and see the slings for myself I just wanted to know if these enclosures are too big for slings in general. The round one on the left is 3.5in in diameter and 4in tall, while the amac box is 2inx2inx6in. Based on my research, Psalmopoeus slings like to burrow more as slings and then become arboreal as they get larger so I was thinking of using the round one for it. C. versicolor, however, are more arboreal as slings so I was thinking it could go in the amac box. If you guys think these enclosures are too big for slings then I will go purchase or make some smaller ones before I go to Repticon, unless I can buy some cheap ones there but I'd rather have the enclosures ready and already set up when I get home. Any advice is welcomed, thanks again all!

Attachments

Mustafa67

Arachnosquire
Hello all!
This weekend I am going to attend Repticon and I hope purchase some slings while I am there, C. versicolor and P. pulcher/P. cambridgei. These will be my first slings as my A. avicularia was a juvenile when I bought it and I was wondering if these enclosures are suitable for slings. I know that the size of the enclosure will mostly depend on the slings size, but since I won't be able to tell until I actually go and see the slings for myself I just wanted to know if these enclosures are too big for slings in general. The round one on the left is 3.5in in diameter and 4in tall, while the amac box is 2inx2inx6in. Based on my research, Psalmopoeus slings like to burrow more as slings and then become arboreal as they get larger so I was thinking of using the round one for it. C. versicolor, however, are more arboreal as slings so I was thinking it could go in the amac box. If you guys think these enclosures are too big for slings then I will go purchase or make some smaller ones before I go to Repticon, unless I can buy some cheap ones there but I'd rather have the enclosures ready and already set up when I get home. Any advice is welcomed, thanks again all!
Depends on the size but I’d advise like this: https://arachnoboards.com/gallery/img_0472.38389/

KodiakWavingBear

Arachnopeon
Wow thats super small thanks! Luckily I have some cups like this. Do you poke small holes at the top for ventilation?

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
I think your idea of using the Amac box for the versi and the round one for the Psalmo is correct, but I see some potential issues with both. The only issues I see with the Amac box is that it needs more ventilation on the opposite side of the screen and in the top, and delivering prey to the sling when it's in it's web at the top will be difficult. If you can drill small holes (1/8" max) on the sides and top for airflow, and a slightly larger hole on top that you can stick a plug in (like a rubber stopper, etc.) to drop prey in, you'll be much happier with how the enclosure works. As for the shorter, round acrylic enclosure, judging from the tape measure you've got next to it, those vent holes are around 1/4" diameter, which is too big for most Psalmo slings - they can slip right out a hole that size. If you get a grown-on sling that's 1.5" leg span or more, it should be OK, but anything smaller (and most are in the 0.75" range) will escape easily.

Depends on the size but I’d advise like this: https://arachnoboards.com/gallery/img_0472.38389/
Those little condiment cup enclosures work great for terrestrial/fossorial slings, but aren't ideal for arboreal species. The Psalmo's spend a lot of time in the dirt, but they usually build up a debris curtain along the back of a piece of cork bark to hide in with a burrow at the bottom, so they need a little more room above the surface than a typical fossorial sling would.

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
I used inverted Amac boxes for my Avic types. You’ll definitely need ventilation at the substrate level and cross ventilation up higher for those. Psalmopoeus will set up shop lower, so an inverted Amac box is not good for them.

Mustafa67

Arachnosquire
I think your idea of using the Amac box for the versi and the round one for the Psalmo is correct, but I see some potential issues with both. The only issues I see with the Amac box is that it needs more ventilation on the opposite side of the screen and in the top, and delivering prey to the sling when it's in it's web at the top will be difficult. If you can drill small holes (1/8" max) on the sides and top for airflow, and a slightly larger hole on top that you can stick a plug in (like a rubber stopper, etc.) to drop prey in, you'll be much happier with how the enclosure works. As for the shorter, round acrylic enclosure, judging from the tape measure you've got next to it, those vent holes are around 1/4" diameter, which is too big for most Psalmo slings - they can slip right out a hole that size. If you get a grown-on sling that's 1.5" leg span or more, it should be OK, but anything smaller (and most are in the 0.75" range) will escape easily.

Those little condiment cup enclosures work great for terrestrial/fossorial slings, but aren't ideal for arboreal species. The Psalmo's spend a lot of time in the dirt, but they usually build up a debris curtain along the back of a piece of cork bark to hide in with a burrow at the bottom, so they need a little more room above the surface than a typical fossorial sling would.
Ahh I hadn’t seen he was looking for aboreals. So much writing and no question marks. Yes, I agree with your recommendations. Making holes in the amac box and a different box with smaller holes for the other one should be suitable.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Can’t tell without knowing size of spider and species. Also make sure ventilation holes aren’t tooo big

KodiakWavingBear

Arachnopeon
Sorry for the late response. After some research I've decided its best if I get slings .75inchs and above! or even just a juvenile. I mean I could just buy sling enclosures at Repticon if anything.

The only issues I see with the Amac box is that it needs more ventilation on the opposite side of the screen and in the top
Is it really not enough ventilation? I bought my Avic. in it so I thought it would be fine. Also Jamie's tarantula sells sling enclosures like this, but its probably better to be safe than sorry. I like that idea with the rubber stopper tho! I could figure out a way to make smaller holes but I don't have a drill I was using a soldering iron to burn holes, as I did in the round enclosure. Also for the delicup, I have a bigger one thats 5 1/2oz (162mL)would that be better or do u recommend even bigger than that? Its 2 1/2 inches tall. Thanks for all the responses!

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
Some folks do use soldering irons and prefer them. Holes on 3 sides and top. I haven’t used the stopper on these little guys yet (and wish I had), but I have on bigger ones. Makes it much easier.
IMG_2317.jpeg
IMG_2069.jpeg

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
I've had great luck keeping Avic/Versi/Psalmo slings in appropriately sized dram vials. They're easy to modify for airflow (you can drill or melt holes in them), the lids go on & off easily, and they're relatively cheap. A 50 dram vial is equivalent to 6.25 oz and measures 4.5" tall with a 1.75" diameter a great size for small arboreal slings.
20240307_165232.jpg
20240307_165411.jpg

These are for Avics. Setups for Psalmopoeus look exactly the same but with slightly deeper substrate.

You can order snap-cap clear polystyrene vials directly from Thornton Plastics.

KodiakWavingBear

Arachnopeon
Late update:
I was able to get a female P. cambridgei juvenile (about 2 inches dls) and a C. versicolor sling that came in a dram vile. For some reason I didn't think they would sell them in appropriate sized enclosures but they did lol. Thanks for all the help!