Enclosure sizes for arboreal tarantulas?

Bothrops

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm thinking in start buying definitive terrariums for my arboreals who are growing fast.
What size do you think it'd be ok, for example, for an adult Poecilotheria regalis, P. formosa, P. ornata and H. maculata?
I don't think in HUGE terrariums, because my collection keeps growing and I can't put too many giant terrariums. Anyways, I don't want that my tarantulas are uncomfortable or in bad conditions.
So, I was thinking in something like 10'' x 10'' x 16'' (length-wide-height) for most of my arboreals, and maybe one a littler bigger for the P. ornata, do you think they'll be fine?

Thanks in advance,
Bothrops

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Have you seen the 12x12 Exoterras? I believe I will be investing in a few ;)

Bothrops

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Have you seen the 12x12 Exoterras? I believe I will be investing in a few ;)
Yes, I've seen them. They are spectacular!, but I'm from Argentina, and here it's impossible to get them :(
There's no problem, I know a person who build terrariums here and pretty cheap, I just was asking about the measurements.. Do you think a 12''x12''x12'' is enough for an adult Poecilotheria? Isn't a bit low?

Thanks!!
Bothrops

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm thinking in start buying definitive terrariums for my arboreals who are growing fast. ...
What exactly do you mean by "definitive?" High class? Expensive? Cheap? Serviceable? Something else?

What size do you think it'd be ok, ...
So, I was thinking in something like 10'' x 10'' x 16'' (length-wide-height) for most of my arboreals, and maybe one a littler bigger for the P. ornata, do you think they'll be fine? ...
Probably. Since arboreals already come preprogrammed with the ability to keep from killing themselves by falling, you needn't worry too much about using a cage that's too tall. And, length and width are only a problem if the floor space gets so large that there's too much space for the food to hide. So, it would seem that the real question would be

"Just how much space can you budget in your home for the number of arboreal cages you think you'll need?"

The cages sold by TarantulaCages.com (suggested in another posting) are beautiful if you're into displaying cages, and the prices don't appear to be way out to lunch at first inspection. My only question is "Who pays for the shipping?" That isn't exactly specified, but I assume you do. Just be aware that shipping could easily double the cost of the cages!

Also, check out the terms of their guarantee, return and refund policy before you commit to anything.

Of course you already know that there are other alternatives if you are interested in saving a little money. Check out http://atshq.org/forum/showthread.php?t=10874 for instance.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your tarantulas!

Bothrops

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What exactly do you mean by "definitive?" High class? Expensive? Cheap? Serviceable? Something else?
Sorry, english isn't my native language, maybe you misunderstood me because of that.
With "definitive" I mean the terrariums where my spiders will live the rest of their lives. They are now in jars, but I want to transfer them to terrariums as they keep growing.

Probably. Since arboreals already come preprogrammed with the ability to keep from killing themselves by falling, you needn't worry too much about using a cage that's too tall. And, length and width are only a problem if the floor space gets so large that there's too much space for the food to hide. So, it would seem that the real question would be

"Just how much space can you budget in your home for the number of arboreal cages you think you'll need?"

The cages sold by TarantulaCages.com (suggested in another posting) are beautiful if you're into displaying cages, and the prices don't appear to be way out to lunch at first inspection. My only question is "Who pays for the shipping?" That isn't exactly specified, but I assume you do. Just be aware that shipping could easily double the cost of the cages!

Also, check out the terms of their guarantee, return and refund policy before you commit to anything.

Of course you already know that there are other alternatives if you are interested in saving a little money. Check out http://atshq.org/forum/showthread.php?t=10874 for instance.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your tarantulas!
I won't buy terrariums in internet. I don't want to pay too much although those terrariums are fantastic and I really would like to have some like those.
As I said before, I can buy them here and 'pretty cheap'.
I know that a 12''x12''x18'' terrarium isn't indispensable, and, with much less the tarantulas can be rather comfortable.
So, my question was something like: "How much is the minimum recommendated for an adult Poecilotheria?"
I hope you understood me, my english is a #@€!#! :8o

Cheers, and thanks a lot for your help!!
Bothrops

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sorry, english isn't my native language, maybe you misunderstood me because of that.
I hope you understood me, my english is a #@€!#! :8o
I understand you very well. What is your first language? Whatever it is, you're doing much better than me. I am fluent in only 2 languages: English (sort of ;) and swearing (very good!).

Enjoy your tarantulas!

Bothrops

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I understand you very well. What is your first language? Whatever it is, you're doing much better than me. I am fluent in only 2 languages: English (sort of ;) and swearing (very good!).

Enjoy your tarantulas!
Thanks for the compliment, but I still have too much to learn :D

My first language is spanish!

Amanda

Arachnolord
Old Timer
You speak better English than 80% of the native-speakers on this board! I wouldn't have known you weren't if you hadn't mentioned it. You even use punctuation, which some people can't seem to manage. :rolleyes:

I've been trying to come up with a good way to ask this same question, so I'm very interested to hear the answers.

atropos

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I use cages of 25x25x40 cm (LxWxH) for my adult poeci's. Works very well for me.

Feathers

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I use exo-terra 12x12x12 for terrestrials and 12x12x18 for arboreals, although I'm planning on trying my hand at fabricating my own. If you're handy and can get some plexiglass and adhesive, you may want to build your own. Checking out prices at my local lumber company, it's cost effective for me to at least give it a try.

Bothrops

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Que tal, Como estas Amigo?:D

The 12x12 exoterra I saw would house any Poecilotheria, even ornata.:cool:
Hola Brian! Todo bien y tu? :}

That's cool, I thought that 12'' height would be too low for an adult Poecilotheria. I just didn't want to give 18'' height to the terrariums, it's TOO MUCH!
I'll estimate for 10''x10''x14'' and 8''x12''x14'' terrariums. Maybe 8''x12''x14'' would be better for me, because my shelves are 34'' long, and would fit 4 terrariums per shelf instead of 3. What do you think?

Thanks!!
Bothrops

Bothrops

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You speak better English than 80% of the native-speakers on this board! I wouldn't have known you weren't if you hadn't mentioned it. You even use punctuation, which some people can't seem to manage. :rolleyes:

I've been trying to come up with a good way to ask this same question, so I'm very interested to hear the answers.
LMAO! {D
Are you talking seriously?! Yes, it's true that some native-speakers on this boards write horrible, but I think I'm not that good either! lol!
However, I thank you for telling me that, that raise my self-esteem {D
I'll keep trying to do my best =P

Cheers!
Bothrops

Bothrops

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I use exo-terra 12x12x12 for terrestrials and 12x12x18 for arboreals, although I'm planning on trying my hand at fabricating my own. If you're handy and can get some plexiglass and adhesive, you may want to build your own. Checking out prices at my local lumber company, it's cost effective for me to at least give it a try.
Oh, no, unfortunately, I'm nothing handy :(
I have to buy the terrariums. However, they won't be more expensive than $15-$20 dollars each. Certainly, they won't be like Exo-terra terrariums, but they'll be useful for sure ;)

Thanks for you help!
Bothrops