Enclosure size

Crosscountry

Arachnopeon
I bought a zoo med low den cage from pet smart. This one specifically: https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/ha...creature-den-low-profile-terrarium-50369.html

The dimensions are 20.5" L x 10.5" W x 8" H. This is larger than her previous cage which is 14" L x 8" h x 8"w. She is a Mexican red knee about 6 years old. Other than having difficulty finding prey (although she always catches it straight away when I throw it in front of her), could this cause her severe stress or any other issues having this much space, or is it ok?

Transrights

Arachnosquire
I think these dimensions should make for a beautiful cool enclosure. I personally keep my adult terrestrials in 12" cubes, although I'd like them to be a bit lower, it's almost the perfect size for medium sized adult Ts. But everyone has different preferences. If an enclosure is too big, your T will simply choose a spot and claim that as it's home. It won't be stressed, after all they also do fine in the big enclosure we call "outside" :)

Just a thing I want to note; I assume that these zoomed enclosures have a metal mesh lid? If yes, you might want to replace that mesh with an acrylic plate with drilled/soldered ventilation holes, as terrestrial Ts are prone to getting their legs caught in the mesh. They can also "chew" trough metal mesh BTW.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I see this: "Stainless steel rust proof screen mesh"

They can get their tarsal claws caught, and either eventually fall from the top or amputate the leg off and then fall. Whenever possible, screen should be replaced with acrylic w/ air holes drilled in it.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I bought a zoo med low den cage from pet smart. This one specifically: https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/ha...creature-den-low-profile-terrarium-50369.html

The dimensions are 20.5" L x 10.5" W x 8" H. This is larger than her previous cage which is 14" L x 8" h x 8"w. She is a Mexican red knee about 6 years old. Other than having difficulty finding prey (although she always catches it straight away when I throw it in front of her), could this cause her severe stress or any other issues having this much space, or is it ok?
They are pretty unactive animals, especially when established a burrow or retreat so i would say that having a very large tank is often a waste of space. Adult spiders can be housed in large tanks but i really dont see the point?

Jess S

Arachnobaron
They are pretty unactive animals, especially when established a burrow or retreat so i would say that having a very large tank is often a waste of space. Adult spiders can be housed in large tanks but i really dont see the point?
I wouldn't describe a B hamorri (or any of the 'red knees') as unattractive!!! They are exceptionally good looking tarantulas. :)

Crosscountry

Arachnopeon
Thanks for all the replies. Yes, I was going to replace the mesh with acrylic. She loves to sit outside in the open and wonders around quite a bit. Sometimes I feel as if she would like more space as she is very active so that's the reason for moving to a slightly bigger enclosure.

Transrights

Arachnosquire
i would say that having a very large tank is often a waste of space. Adult spiders can be housed in large tanks but i really dont see the point?
I personally think that a big, planted tank can look fairly nice, even if the T only occupies a corner. Especially if you only have just few Ts. Imho it'd be a waste to give the spiders only minimal space when space is not really a concern in a room, unlike in a 50+ specimen collection. But then again I'm a big fan of beautiful naturalistic setups, so that might just be me. And there's nothing stopping @Crosscountry from at some point using it for either a larger T, or another kind of animal that needs a tad more space.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
They are pretty unactive animals
I wouldn't describe a B hamorri (or any of the 'red knees') as unattractive!!!
Even though @Vanisher misspelled 'inactive', I think it's clear what he meant. ;) So, even a very inactive T can still be quite beautiful. :)

@Crosscountry
IMO there's nothing wrong in giving an adult B. hamorii more space than she actually needs. If you have the space for that enclosure, go for it. Just make sure - whatever you do with it - it's safe for your T. :)

PGRVII

Arachnosquire
Here's a quick overview of how I set mine up for my B.hamorii Beckii. Great enclosures.
The plexi keeps her in while smaller then I will remove it once she is a little larger. Hope this helps! (The grid top is light diffusing panel from Lowes)
Screenshot_20200229-200108_Instagram.jpg

http://instagr.am/p/B6lmDCgBQ3z/

Dorifto

He who moists xD
I much prefer giving that extra space and make a awesome enclosure than having them in small deli cups, even if they stay "90% of the time" in the same spot.

I have done two gigantic and useless, for some people, enclosures for my Pulchra and the Geniculata, and couldn't be happier. Both 60x40x40 cm terrariums so a 120cm in total. Now I can observe how they wander all the enclosure for food, or looking a good place to hunt.

My pulchra loves her entrance for example xD
IMG_20200301_021324.jpg

Being a Hamorii you cand do an awesone looking enclosure for almost nothing. Find some woods, some dry grass and some dry leafs and branches. For substrate you can use some clay based substrate, ie the same used for lizards etc. Use a wood to make an entrance to his/her burrow, let it dry, the mix a 50/50 of clay and top soil for the top layer. Decore with some leafs, branches and dry grass, and voila!

Example:

Last edited by a moderator:

Jess S

Arachnobaron
Even though @Vanisher misspelled 'inactive', I think it's clear what he meant. ;) So, even a very inactive T can still be quite beautiful. :)

@Crosscountry
IMO there's nothing wrong in giving an adult B. hamorii more space than she actually needs. If you have the space for that enclosure, go for it. Just make sure - whatever you do with it - it's safe for your T. :)
Aah I see. Didn't notice that it was a misspelling (presumably autocorrect kicking in), pretty clear when you take the rest of the post into account!

Crosscountry

Arachnopeon
I much prefer giving that extra space and make a awesome enclosure than having them in small deli cups, even if they stay "90% of the time" in the same spot.

I have done two gigantic and useless, for some people, enclosures for my Pulchra and the Geniculata, and couldn't be happier. Both 60x40x40 cm terrariums so a 120cm in total. Now I can observe how they wander all the enclosure for food, or looking a good place to hunt.

My pulchra loves her entrance for example xD
View attachment 335557

Being a Hamorii you cand do an awesone looking enclosure for almost nothing. Find some woods, some dry grass and some dry leafs and branches. For substrate you can use some clay based substrate, ie the same used for lizards etc. Use a wood to make an entrance to his/her burrow, let it dry, the mix a 50/50 of clay and top soil for the top layer. Decore with some leafs, branches and dry grass, and voila!

Example:
View attachment 335556
That looks super cool. Thanks. Is this a live grass/ plant?

RowanFG

Arachnopeon
I have been confused about ideal enclosure sizes. From everything I've read the recommended terrestrial enclosure will be 3-4 x its DLS in length and width and enough height to give it a chance to burrow while leaving no more than 1.5 x its DLS between the substrate and roof.

An adult female B. hamorii is 5+ inches right? That would make the 20L x 10W less than the minimum 3 x DLS. Someone enlighten me please so I don't blow future $ on something my T's don't need :)

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Nice setup!!

What kind of cactus is that? I hope that is a soft cactus xD

Sniner

Arachnopeon
So I re homed her. Here are two photos of her new home. i replaced the mesh top lid with an acrylic sheet. She seems very happy.
I hope you are still active in here. What size is the acrylic piece you used to replace the mesh?