Enclosure size matter?

Ocid

Arachnopeon
Hey Im new to this looking to get my first T most likely going to be a brachypelma smithi and it would be 1" in size basically my question is since im starting out i was thinking about just buying a larger enclosure 15x8x10 so I wont have to replace after every molt (for a lil while at least) wondering if this is ok? because alot of people keep sings in pill bottles and deli container? plz let me know ive done my research this is my only concern
-ocid

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That is really too big for that size spider. Not only would you have to put a ton of substrate in there to keep it safe, but it would also be hard to ensure that it is getting its food. We kept our 1" spiderlings in 3"X3"X3" cubes, because we don't like keeping them in vials or pill bottles. The spiderling can then live in it for several molts before having to rehouse it. We made our enclosures by hand though, so you might want to check out a Hobby Lobby for hobby cubes. We recently bought a small square one, so they do make them short and squat, which is what you will need. :)

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yes, like that. If you use that size, you will need to put 3-4" of substrate in it, to avoid injury from a fall. I say 3-4, because I don't know if the lid is included in the measurements.:) The rule of thumb is to only have about a legpan and a half between the top of the substrate and the top of the enclosure.

(i would drill holes in it of course)
We have always melted hole with a soldering iron when we used hobby cubes. We were scared of cracking the plastic with a drill.

what would i use as a hide for that small of a spider?
Are you ordering this spiderling online and having it shipped to you? If so, it will probably come in a vial that would be a perfect hide. Just bury it a bit in the substrate and it will work just fine. If not, we have found little and I mean itsy clay pots and used those. A plastic shot glass would work too. We mainly use cork bark and sculpt the substrate to allow the bark to overhang a hollowed out spot. That isn't really something you would want to try and pick up for one spiderling though, because it is normally sold in big chunks and isn't always cheap. You really just need something that it feels it can retreat into and be more or less in the dark. Take a look around the house and see if you have anything that would fit the bill.:)