Enclosure rating?

ArthropodEnthusiast

Arachnopeon
I redid my enclosure today, for Matthew the Scolopendra dehaani. Id like you guys to critique it, like is there any stuff i can improve? Also i know the enclosure is front opening, i dont care. Matthew has already given me a love bite and it was nothing, i have a high pain tolerance. Im not scared of him and i wont let him escape.

Attachments

Veno Manus

Arachnobaron
All of my scorpion enclosures are front opening. I hate top open enclosures to be honest. People just are in their ways. Do whatever you gotta do to make your keeping kept and as long as you are having good results and have no issues, there shouldn't be an issue. On the tank note, I'm a big fan of sticks and cork unique corkbark. For additional features. Make the enclosure look like you took a square knife and cut it out of the forest.

ArthropodEnthusiast

Arachnopeon
All of my scorpion enclosures are front opening. I hate top open enclosures to be honest. People just are in their ways. Do whatever you gotta do to make your keeping kept and as long as you are having good results and have no issues, there shouldn't be an issue. On the tank note, I'm a big fan of sticks and cork unique corkbark. For additional features. Make the enclosure look like you took a square knife and cut it out of the forest.
Wait but this is a front opening centipede enclosure

Raptorr

Arachnosquire
I wouldn't use enclosures that lack good cross ventilation. The reason being that air gets trapped down there and can promote the growth of things like fungus, mold, and bacteria. Make sure the holes are at ground level if you decide to change the enclosure. If you don't change the enclosure, you have to be extra careful of the moisture level and cleanliness of it.

Looks like you have moss in there. Like I said earlier, you gotta be careful with the moisture, but with moss, I'd say more so, since it holds moisture very well.

Also, centipedes don't always inject a full dose of venom, and I believe could even give dry bites. So I would still be careful, even though the first bite may not have seemed like much.

ArthropodEnthusiast

Arachnopeon
I wouldn't use enclosures that lack good cross ventilation. The reason being that air gets trapped down there and can promote the growth of things like fungus, mold, and bacteria. Make sure the holes are at ground level if you decide to change the enclosure. If you don't change the enclosure, you have to be extra careful of the moisture level and cleanliness of it.

Looks like you have moss in there. Like I said earlier, you gotta be careful with the moisture, but with moss, I'd say more so, since it holds moisture very well.

Also, centipedes don't always inject a full dose of venom, and I believe could even give dry bites. So I would still be careful, even though the first bite may not have seemed like much.
Ventilation isnt an issue, tank is huge, theres like a foot of empty space between the floor and roof, and still have 6 inches of substrate, also i have a wet and dry side due to it being a 40 gallon tank meant for lizards and snakes and stuff. Actually was gonna get a hognose but my dad hates snakes so i got the closest arthropod equivalent lol. Not my first bug tho, i own multiple t’s and scorps

ArthropodEnthusiast

Arachnopeon

But yeah i have cross ventilation for all my smaller enclosures. Centipedes like to run around unlike our favorite pet rocks, t’s and scorps, so i gave matthew plenty of floorspace

ArthropodEnthusiast

Arachnopeon

And i added spring tails

Raptorr

Arachnosquire
Ventilation isnt an issue, tank is huge, theres like a foot of empty space between the floor and roof, and still have 6 inches of substrate, also i have a wet and dry side due to it being a 40 gallon tank meant for lizards and snakes and stuff. Actually was gonna get a hognose but my dad hates snakes so i got the closest arthropod equivalent lol. Not my first bug tho, i own multiple t’s and scorps
Even though there's a decent amount of space, I believe cross ventilation is still needed. There will potentially still be a buildup of stagnant air since there's none at the bottom at all, and I don't think that's enough space to ignore cross ventilation all together. Personally, I'm not taking the risk, but it's up to you, I'm just giving you my recommendation.

Also, yeah, centipedes do roam to some degree, but they really don't need a ton of space. I'd consider that an unnecessary amount. It looks like you have room for that enclosure and want to use it, so giving it extra space is fine, yeah. But required? No.

Lastly, I have a question. What substrate are you using?

ArthropodEnthusiast

Arachnopeon
Even though there's a decent amount of space, I believe cross ventilation is still needed. There will potentially still be a buildup of stagnant air since there's none at the bottom at all, and I don't think that's enough space to ignore cross ventilation all together. Personally, I'm not taking the risk, but it's up to you, I'm just giving you my recommendation.

Also, yeah, centipedes do roam to some degree, but they really don't need a ton of space. I'd consider that an unnecessary amount. It looks like you have room for that enclosure and want to use it, so giving it extra space is fine, yeah. But required? No.

With a mesh lid and literally enough space to fit a dog inside how would air stagnate? My centipede constantly roams around the vivarium and makes elaborate tunnels that span the whole enclosure, i can’t literally ask it how it feels but im 99% it prefers the extra ground space, theyre not like tarantulas who sit in a whole literally all the time

Last edited:

ArthropodEnthusiast

Arachnopeon

Im using the forest floor substrate by bio active supply

Raptorr

Arachnosquire
With a mesh lid and literally enough space to fit a dog inside how would air stagnate? My centipede constantly roams around the vivarium and makes elaborate tunnels that span the whole enclosure, i can’t literally ask it how it feels but im 99% it prefers the extra ground space, theyre not like tarantulas who sit in a whole literally all the time
Because it may seem like enough space for proper air flow, but I just don't think it is. I believe it's still a confined enough space to potentially have problems.

And yeah, if you have room and want to give it extra space, that's totally fine. I was just saying it's not really required. Oh, and, in my opinion, it's much easier to regulate moisture levels in a smaller enclosure.

ArthropodEnthusiast

Arachnopeon
Because it may seem like enough space for proper air flow, but I just don't think it is. I believe it's still a confined enough space to potentially have problems.

And yeah, if you have room and want to give it extra space, that's totally fine. I was just saying it's not really required. Oh, and, in my opinion, it's much easier to regulate moisture levels in a smaller enclosure.
Before my pede my heterometrus was in it for 4 years, never once did i get mold. And imo the animal being able to regulate its own moisture levels and the extra space it gets is worth it. Also i think these look nicer. And it has a mesh top with no silicone to climb up on and get stuck to the mesh to. And i have plenty of hides for moisture, and i mist one side heavily every other day. So whats the issue?

TLSizzle

Arachnoknight
You asked for a critique, someone gave time out of their day to give you one. They've even mentioned several times that it's just their opinion.
Makes me ask, what is your issue?

I would give my critique, but doesn't seem like it would land on kind ears. Enjoy your critter!

Raptorr

Arachnosquire
Before my pede my heterometrus was in it for 4 years, never once did i get mold. And imo the animal being able to regulate its own moisture levels and the extra space it gets is worth it. Also i think these look nicer. And it has a mesh top with no silicone to climb up on and get stuck to the mesh to. And i have plenty of hides for moisture, and i mist one side heavily every other day. So whats the issue?
Well, if you did keep something in there for that amount of time with no mold supposedly, maybe I underestimated the size of this enclosure. But again, I'd say a smaller enclosure with good cross ventilation will always be more optimal.

You can still have a moisture gradient with a smaller enclosure. On top of that, it'd be easy to manage that gradient too. The only real benefit of the one you have is visability.

ArthropodEnthusiast

Arachnopeon
You asked for a critique, someone gave time out of their day to give you one. They've even mentioned several times that it's just their opinion.

I would give my critique, but doesn't seem like it would land on kind ears. Enjoy your critter!

I dont have an issue. I have no idea what you’re talking about

ArthropodEnthusiast

Arachnopeon
Well, if you did keep something in there for that amount of time with no mold supposedly, maybe I underestimated the size of this enclosure. But again, I'd say a smaller enclosure with good cross ventilation will always be more optimal.

You can still have a moisture gradient with a smaller enclosure. On top of that, it'd be easy to manage that gradient too. The only real benefit of the one you have is visability.
The enclosure is 36x18, so a meter long and more then a foot tall

ArthropodEnthusiast

Arachnopeon

I don’t understand why you’re being so rude, is this how you treat all people new to the centipede hobby?

ArthropodEnthusiast

Arachnopeon

And my centipede gets more enrichment, that too