Enclosure Issue - Please Help!

Mashizi

Arachnopeon
Greetings Arachnoboards!
I am a new T keeper of a Mexican Red Knee and have an issue with my enclosure which could use your help.
My T has grown to the size where she can reach the air holes on the side of the enclosure.
I am concerned she will get a leg caught in a hole and lose it. Something similar happened before in a smaller enclosure. 😔
The easy solution seems to be removing more substrate, however I have heard that if the ceiling is too high, a T might climb to the top and fall, breaking it's carapace.
What should I do?
Any help would be appreciated!

Attachments

aprilmayjunebugs

Fiery but Mostly Peaceful
Arachnosupporter
More substrate, so if it does stick it's legs through it won't be dangling.

That's a ridiculously unnecessary amount of cross ventilation for a terrestrial, just sayin.

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
Greetings Arachnoboards!
I am a new T keeper of a Mexican Red Knee and have an issue with my enclosure which could use your help.
My T has grown to the size where she can reach the air holes on the side of the enclosure.
I am concerned she will get a leg caught in a hole and lose it. Something similar happened before in a smaller enclosure. 😔
The easy solution seems to be removing more substrate, however I have heard that if the ceiling is too high, a T might climb to the top and fall, breaking it's carapace.
What should I do?
Any help would be appreciated!
If you see floofer poking their foot through the holesys get a different viv with either bigger or smaller holesys and the rule is no bigger then twice the leg span of the spood your sub hight is fine 😊 gl

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
I have tried really hard to move my ventilation holes out of reach whilst still having intentional air flow, and let me tell you, they still find a way to the holes and use them as stepping stones so they can climb along the lid. Due diligence would be keeping the substrate level within reach. As long as your T doesn't get spooked, because I can see a knee jerk reaction causing limb loss. That said, with the amount of ventilation you have, your T may feel the ambient air moving around them (something like opening or closing a door) could spook them at a very unfortunate time.

You mentioned another incident, I am guessing your T got it's legs stuck in a hole? Did it take the leg off? And did it grow back with a subsequent molt?

Mirandarachnid

Arachnobaron
I’ve personally never had issues with T’s sticking legs through vent holes. They’ve done it quite a bit but none of mine have ever been injured from it. I tend to favor cross ventilation over top ventilation because it seems to help my enclosures retain moisture longer, so pretty much all of my spiders have had the opportunity to stick their feet out.

If you’re concerned you could always add more sub so it doesn’t dangle if it gets spooked with a foot out.

Mashizi

Arachnopeon
More substrate, so if it does stick it's legs through it won't be dangling.

That's a ridiculously unnecessary amount of cross ventilation for a terrestrial, just sayin.
How much more substrate would you recommend?
I wasn't aware there was too much ventilation.
I purchased the enclosure through Tarantula Cribs.
Thanks for your input!

aprilmayjunebugs

Fiery but Mostly Peaceful
Arachnosupporter
Thanks for your input!
Enough that it can still reach the ground if it does get stuck.

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
relocate or ease back on flooding that bottle cap the dirts.on its way to getting pretty damp my b hamorii hates damp sub with a passion and will climb and stay stuck to the walls of its cage untill things dry out. wouldnt hurt to give that t a hide either

Mashizi

Arachnopeon
I have tried really hard to move my ventilation holes out of reach whilst still having intentional air flow, and let me tell you, they still find a way to the holes and use them as stepping stones so they can climb along the lid. Due diligence would be keeping the substrate level within reach. As long as your T doesn't get spooked, because I can see a knee jerk reaction causing limb loss. That said, with the amount of ventilation you have, your T may feel the ambient air moving around them (something like opening or closing a door) could spook them at a very unfortunate time.

You mentioned another incident, I am guessing your T got it's legs stuck in a hole? Did it take the leg off? And did it grow back with a subsequent molt?
Thanks for asking!
Actually, the leg got stuck in the corner of it's original enclosure rather than a hole.
It was not a smooth acrylic top held in place by magnets as is the case now.
The original enclosure had a top that wedged into place.
The leg grew back entirely within 2 molts.
I was very impressed!

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Sounds like you have already endured the worst thing that can happen then :)

Now that they've touched freedom it will be a never ending quest 🤣🤣🤣

Mashizi

Arachnopeon

Thanks for asking!
Now that I think about it, her leg got caught in the lid section of the enclosure, rather than the ventilation hole.
Her current enclosure is held on top by magnets and there are no areas to wedge a leg in.
Unfortunately it did take the entire leg off.
However it grew the leg back completely within two molts. I was very shocked!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks for your input!
It isn’t too much do not worry