Enclosure Idea

Deolok

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
As compared to a previous post about applying a small fishing area into an enclosure I came up with a semi-brilliant idea!

Ok not so much brilliant, but hear me out.

A dual leveled enclosure. The base is of course an inch of gravel with 3" of top soil on it. Using pvc and a plastic divider create a passage way into the bottom layer by cutting the diameter of the pvc through the plastic. This will make a small tunnel down to the bottom layer. The heating/day lamp will hang directly above the enclosure. Also on the bottom layer I think I will intergrate a small fish pond. Just a couple of feeder fish for some scorpions. The pond will only be an inch or two deep with a stair way out of it. Also There will be another stair way on the opposite side leading up to the second level. (This is almost like turning arachnids into gerbils -sp-). I think I will use three or four thicker pvc pipes as pylons to support the top layer. There also be plenty of mounds for the scorpion to burrow into.

Benefits-
+More area to explore for the scorpions
+Provides a cooler and more moiste area
+Feeder Fish provide an optional diet
+A larger tank makes more oos and ahhs
+The scorpions might feel more comfortable on the bottom layer because of the underground feeling.

Not-So-Much-Benefits-
-Cave Ins
-Project Failure and all collapses
-Drowning in the feeder fish bowel

Well either way, once I get some Spinifers I think I am up for trying this! :D {D

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
A dual leveled enclosure. The base is of course an inch of gravel with 3" of top soil on it. Using pvc and a plastic divider create a passage way into the bottom layer by cutting the diameter of the pvc through the plastic. This will make a small tunnel down to the bottom layer. The heating/day lamp will hang directly above the enclosure. Also on the bottom layer I think I will intergrate a small fish pond. Just a couple of feeder fish for some scorpions. The pond will only be an inch or two deep with a stair way out of it. Also There will be another stair way on the opposite side leading up to the second level. (This is almost like turning arachnids into gerbils -sp-). I think I will use three or four thicker pvc pipes as pylons to support the top layer. There also be plenty of mounds for the scorpion to burrow into.
The dual layer sounds C:cool: :cool:L... But You need to clean fish tanks often, or make it a complete biosystem of its own to maintain its health. I had a setup with fish in it thinking that the scorps would fish them out but the fish just gunked up the tank.

But as we all know, by reading your past posts, you are one who has MIGHTY goals. so more power to you. Post pics.

below is a mspaint pic I trew together by you description, is it what you meant?

PS there is no copyright on this photo? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
We had an alligator tank in an aquatics class that was like this, and I'm sure soil could have been added to house a scorpion, unfortunately I've never seen one in a store nor would I ever have the funds for a tank of that scale (100+ gallons). Good luck.

Deolok

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Its close to my idea...close! I will construct after I get some money (next month) and when I get a pair of new scorpions (next month as well). Ill post a quick sketch of the idea.

Last edited:

twirl and kill

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
try and make it so the tararium can come apart,in half.that way it will be really easy to clean the bottom part,and a layer of glass (under) the top section of substrate cause your gunna definately need something to hold that substrate up.that said,all you have to do to clean this tank,is get someone to help you pull the top off since its such a big tank

Mr. Quick

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hmm. Interesting idea. You will have to be sure to let us know how this experiment turns out.

Xaranx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Since the thread is over a year old I'm sure he's had time to do it.

I think the consensus is it is too diffivult to clean, especially the area on the bottom with the pond. Now, a custom enclosure like this made with acrylic in 2 sections, where the top section is the upper level and roof for the bottom section would be the way to go.

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I read this from top to end and got some serious deja-vu
-Eddy

Mr. Quick

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Since the thread is over a year old I'm sure he's had time to do it.

I think the consensus is it is too diffivult to clean, especially the area on the bottom with the pond. Now, a custom enclosure like this made with acrylic in 2 sections, where the top section is the upper level and roof for the bottom section would be the way to go.
Oops. You're right...Deolok, are you still around here? Can you give us some feedback on the endeavor?