Enclosure building as a hobby

junewolf

Arachnopeon
You can use a small drill bit or a dremel. though you will want to sand the edge so you don't leave any sharp glass bits. With it being round is where the issue comes, would be tough, but with a steady hand you could do it.
Thank you for your feedback! I'm concerned that the glass will shatter, but I do have some small dremel bits I could try. The glass in the lantern is actually flat panels, with metal structures the panels fit into. I really need to upload my pics, lol.

Mikeyspikeyz

Arachnopeon
Thank you for your feedback! I'm concerned that the glass will shatter, but I do have some small dremel bits I could try. The glass in the lantern is actually flat panels, with metal structures the panels fit into. I really need to upload my pics, lol.
Please note it isn't easy. You will have to tape where you are going to drill to help avoid shattering, if I can I'll find a few good videos after I'm out of work!

Mikeyspikeyz

Arachnopeon
Here is someone I watch for a lot of DIY stuff!

Unlike him I would wear some Kevlar gloves though. Just in case.

ThatSpooderGuy555

Arachnopeon
I'm planning on making a few little enclosures out of lanterns, but I would like to go much bigger from there. I will post the lanterns I'm working with later, when I get off work today! :D I am struggling with increasing the ventilation in them, since the walls are glass panels. I was thinking about removing some of the glass panels and putting in plexiglass with drilled holes. Do you guys know of a way to make air vents in glass? What do y'all think? <3
The only way I know that you could successfully drill through glass is with a Carbide glass/tile drill bit that you can find at Home Depot. The biggest issue you’ll have is getting the initial hole started.

I personally think it would be much easier to take the plexiglass or acrylic insert route, seeing as drilling into the glass would definitely weaken its integrity!

Keep us posted!

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Drilling through glass is relatively easy if you follow the proper steps and rules. NOTE: you must have young/fresh glass. As it gets older it becomes much more brittle.
Many Youtube videos on how to do it but it always boils down to the same thing: A decent diamond saw/drill, flooding with water and a very steady, even pressure.

junewolf

Arachnopeon
Thanks so much! I just found that lantern thing at a yard sale, it's really not much work on my part, haha. :happy: But I do looove making terrariums. I really appreciate your support, folks! :cat:

Mikeyspikeyz

Arachnopeon
Thanks so much! I just found that lantern thing at a yard sale, it's really not much work on my part, haha. :happy: But I do looove making terrariums. I really appreciate your support, folks! :cat:
Have you decided what you want to put in it??

junewolf

Arachnopeon
Have you decided what you want to put in it??
Ah! Good question. Sooo. If you look closely on the photo I posted, there's a juvie A. avic sitting on the cork bark. I impulsively bought her at my local (small, non-chain) pet store yesterday and popped her right in the new enclosure. :sorry: I have been trying not to get a big collection, honestly, but it's impossible not to keep adopting them.

Mikeyspikeyz

Arachnopeon
How did I not see that the first time! What a cutie! My roommates hate my hobby they bring in the packages thinking it is something cool...