Enclosure and substrate for C fimbriatus

Stewjoe

Arachnosquire
Hello all, tomorrow I am picking up a 3.5" unsexed Chilobrachys fimbriatus. I have read these are burrowers that require high humidity. I was thinking about getting a nice clear glass vase from walmart to house this in so It can tunnel deep and looks nice. I was wondering if anyone has tried this type of enclosure and what kind of substrate I should use.

Currently in my arsenal for sub is a big tub of coco-fibre, a 4 gal bag of vermiculite and a 4 gal bag of peat moss. I am also curious as to how to keep the enclosure clean, I most likely wont be able to clean bolus and cricket remains deep in the burrow and I am worried that they will mold and attract mites in the humid enclosure.

Also does anyone have any ideas on how to make a suitable lid of this, at walmart they have square and round vases about 2-3 feet tall and about 8-9 inches in diameter. Any hints and suggestions is much appreciated. The tarantula comes in a basic enclosure now and I plan on rehousing it in about a weeks time after it calms down and I get the new one set up and optimized.

Edit- I'm thinking the peat would be best to hold off mold issues due to the high ph value.

Last edited:

Stewjoe

Arachnosquire
Does anyone have experience with this species, it came in a squat plastic cage with 1" of dry substrate. I did not want to rehouse it or add sub because it looks stressed out from the move. It had a small tunnel but the owner trashed it to make sure it was alive for the sale. When I sprayed the substrate down the thing bolted to the top of the enclosure then came down for a long drink then settled down in a dry nook by the water dish and has not moved from there.

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have one & just love the little darling. They do tend to be very skittish.

I just don't have a clue as to if a glass vase or be a good or bad idea :(

Mine is housed right now in a small container (it's only 1") with enough room to dug. The substrate is a peat moss/coco fiber mixture that I keep moistened. As for cleaning any burrower's cage, all you can really do is pick out whatever they kick up. Most will kick molts/food back out, but some are messier then others. Don't be surprised if it takes a while to burrow. Mine has webbed up everything & apparently has no intention of burrowing yet :rolleyes: