emp scorpion?

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
It's a Heterometrus spinifer. The record was previously held (it might still be cause he might have broken her record, but I can't remember) by a guy who did it with scorpions of the same species. NOT very venomous in terms of medically significant venom. Though that number of scorp stings could obviously be deadly if all of them stung a person or at least a very large number did. Heck, the person would prolly be dead in about three minutes or less if that happened, but the odds of that happening by a scorp as docile as H. spinifer are as slim as the food I ate this afternoon growning mold right now in my stomach. Not happening. A lot of the scorps were killed by the guy trying to break the old record a while back, because he kept stepping on them. Idiots. I want to see them do that with Leiurus or Androctonus scorps. Heck, for that matter, I want to see them do it with ANY Buthid in numbers like that! Can you say a couple thousand Mesobuthus martensii in the little black box? heheh...;P

adios,
edw. =D

It is hilarious though.

Reitz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Are you sure that's Heterometrus spinifer? The one at the bottom right of the image may be a Heterometrus sp., but the one she's holding looks like an Emp to me, look at the chela. You may be right, but I'm not sure from the picture.

Chris

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I know, it looks kinda similar to an emp, doesn't it? The shaping of the chela is not sharp enough to be an emp. It's much more of a gradual angle on this scorp. The record was broken in Malaysia the last two times (as of 2001) by people from Malaysian with Malaysian scorpions according to Guiness Book 2001. The guy broke his own record from the year before. :D I do try to get a positive ID before I state a species ID. But there's not too many reasons to do the contest in Malaysia with Malaysian contestants with ... 2000 African scorpions? All the scorps that remained unharmed in the record breaking process were returned to their natural habitat in Malaysia, according to Guiness book 2001. About 400 were recorded as dead at the end of the time frame given. I don't know how old or new the pic that is posted above is, and she could be of another denomination, rather than Malaysian, but the scorps are always the same species used for safety reasons. They don't need any record breakers to be killed setting the record and find out they have been dead and that's why they've been in the box for sixty days, instead of the proposed thirty.

adios,
edw. =D

Last edited:

Reitz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yep, that's Heterometrus spinifer. Thanks for the clarification.

Chris