Emp isn't cooperating

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well I'm trying to get rid of a bad case mites on one of our scorps at the store. He's been in a dryer cage for about a week. I'm trying to dry them out. Buuuuut, the little stinker isn't cooperating and submerges himself in the water dish... Should I try a different method? His tank mate has already died from what I think was mycosis but this guy is still feisty.

Mark Newton

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What is the dish for? If it is for humidity why not cover it in mesh? If it is for drinking make something else available that the scorpion cannot climb into.

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Store doesn't let me do it. They don't believe me when I tell them they have mites despite our store vet already announcing he has no idea what he's doing when it comes to inverts. I have to be a little sneaky about it and I'm lucky they haven't noticed the dryer cage. My GM is an idiot. Do you know of any other sneaky way to do it? :rolleyes:

xVOWx

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Store doesn't let me do it. They don't believe me when I tell them they have mites despite our store vet already announcing he has no idea what he's doing when it comes to inverts. I have to be a little sneaky about it and I'm lucky they haven't noticed the dryer cage. My GM is an idiot. Do you know of any other sneaky way to do it? :rolleyes:
Get a crew of animal rights activists to protest the store untill he lets you remove the mites with a q-tip or some other effective precedure ;). Seriously though, I would look up how to do it with a q-tip and see if you can find an opportunity to do it.

Also, if you have a copy of the scorpion owner manual ( http://www.amazon.com/Scorpions-Com...2508849?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1176210176&sr=1-1 ) you could have your manager read the section on parasites.

Last edited:

Crono

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Predator mites wouldn't be much good in this situation. If you get caught putting mites into the tank after complaining that there are already mites, the boss might not understand and blame you for all the mites. Not to mention the cost would have to come out of your pocket if the boss doesn't think there is a problem.

Do a search for the Q-tip idea, it seems like the best bet.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Pandinus and Heterometrus are prone to submerge themselves out of defensive behaviour, but also when they have a lot of mites or other pests. I do know for sure that they submerge themselves out of defense, but I am not sure if the also submerge themselves to get rid of mites. I had a bad mite infestation once and my emperors started to submerge themselves in their bowl, and they never did this before. I scared my pants of when I saw this the first time, it was just sitting there, very tranquil , submerged in its bowl.

Pet shops are only interested in commerce, instead of keeping animals in optimum captive conditions, they are interested in selling animals ASAP and after that they get new ones. I know this is black and white, but I haven't found a really, reallly, really good pet store yet.

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
my store is really good about taking care of the small animals and aquatics departments...Reptiles (where the inverts are) are just neglected sometimes and not a high priority. Thanks for the ideas guys. :eek:

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You need to find a better store lol. Geez if you care more in the store than everyone else, obviously there are some people working there who shouldn't be. (See kids thats why you stay in school... might be a dead beat worker at a pet store.) At least your making a difference, what a gal.

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yeah its not only me. About 4, maybe five of us but that's not even the majority. I just make more of a stink about things I don't agree with than others. I get yelled at for it though lol. I'm starting a class soon so by the end of october I'll be a registered vet tech and be able to get a better job. :rolleyes: Working in retail isn't exactly a rewarding career choice unless you're way up in the ranks.