emergancy dubia protein suppliments

Redbarren

Arachnopeon
here is the thing, I work at a herpetarium, we breed dubia roaches for our insect eaters. the problem is that we ran out of fish food. our colonies have been living off of snake skin for a week now. we get food scraps all the time for their plant needs (potatoes, spinach, squash, carrot, and apple cores). our budget after supplemental crickets and mustard greens is 90$ a year. put it simply, we can't spare a dime for fish food. we have minnows, mice, and chicken breast for various animals, is there any one who has an idea to use these as a protein source our know of a free protein source?

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
here is the thing, I work at a herpetarium, we breed dubia roaches for our insect eaters. the problem is that we ran out of fish food. our colonies have been living off of snake skin for a week now. we get food scraps all the time for their plant needs (potatoes, spinach, squash, carrot, and apple cores). our budget after supplemental crickets and mustard greens is 90$ a year. put it simply, we can't spare a dime for fish food. we have minnows, mice, and chicken breast for various animals, is there any one who has an idea to use these as a protein source our know of a free protein source?
Dry dog or cat food is a cheap source of protein that can be given to dubias or other feeders. My dubias primarily eat fruits and veggies, but I supplement with dry dog or cat kibble to give them a little protein from time to time.

1Lord Of Ants1

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Most people overestimate a roach's protein requirements. Many species in the hobby will do fine with a diet of greens and vegetables with a bit of grain based foods in the diet.

Salmonsaladsandwich

Arachnolord
I feed mine mainly oats, which have a decent amount of protein. Too much protein can actually cause the roaches to build up excess uric acid, which is unhealthy for them and probably for anything that eats them.

MWAInverts

Arachnoknight
Correct, most of our feeder roaches won't be needing that kind of protein source. I use a non animal based protein supplemented with fresh fruits and vegetables. On a budget I go and buy the cheapest rolled oats and that works fantastic. No need for fish food or beef/chicken/fish based proteins.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
our budget after supplemental crickets and mustard greens is 90$ a year.
You can get a 50lb bag of unmedicated chick feed for around $20 at a feed store. Depending on the size of your colonies, that bag will last for quite a long time. Dubia have the ability to live off of this feed indefinitely, no other food needed.

elportoed

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I agree with posters that suggest roaches don't need protein base food. In nature, it is much easier to find decaying plant matters than animal matter which may be the main source of their food.

Redmont

The collector
I make my own roach chow by mixing oats, cereal, fish flakes and bee pollen, but a giant bag of chick feed may be more cost efective