Email to the Zoo

CyclingSam

Arachnoknight
I just sent the following email to the Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium. Am I ridiculous or was this appropriate? I figured that zoos are their to educate with accuracy, though very few people probably actually care.

"Hello,

I was not sure where to send this email, but the “Education” department seemed most relevant.

I am an arachno-enthusiast who was recently visited your zoo on Friday, May 5th. While there, I notice that two of the tarantulas in the Mutual of Omaha’s Wild Kingdom Pavilion where mislabeled. First, the Avicularia versicolor was moved out of the genus Avicularia and into the genus Caribena becoming the now Caribena versicolor. Second, the Brachypelma smithi has been renamed the Brachypelma hamorii. These changes are pretty recent, in the case of the Brachypelma, as recent as April 27th. You may already know of these revisions and just not have gotten around to the plaque changes yet, but I thought I would let you know anyway.

Additionally, as one who keeps tarantulas, I am concerned about the height of the B. hamorii (formerly smith’s) enclosure height. If it decides to climb a wall and then it takes a fall, it will likely prematurely die of an abdomen rupture, which would be a shame since this gorgeous animal can live for decades.

Thanks!

Best,"

Here is a picture of the enclosure that I mentioned.

IMG_0216.JPG

cold blood

Staff member
omg thats a poor enclosure and set up. I think it was a nicely written e mail.

CyclingSam

Arachnoknight
wow that's literally one of the worst setups i've ever seen. :astonished:
This was the worst, but you should see their others: wire mesh, minimal substrate, cement boxes! I dare say that I have seen Petco put together a nicer set up than these guys. Its too bad that this is the best that the No. 2 ranked zoo could pull off.

Last edited:

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
I would've included more about the enclosure lol, but yes. I would say you're email is well-written and hopefully will be well-received.

Nephila Edulis

Arachnoknight
Can't they take that cage apart and replace the tarantua with a small arboreal snake or lizard? It'd be much better to keep the tarantula in a smaller enclosure which 1: let's you get a closer look at the T, 2: is safer for the T and 3: it's cheaper than an enclosure of that size

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
You should see the Theraphosa blondi enclosure at the Smithsonian. The poor stirmi in there...

That "smithi" looks like an auratum or a mix from this pic, too.

Leila

Arachnobaron
:astonished::astonished::astonished:

Umm...Upon initial speculation, I thought that enclosure was void of a tarantula.

What the.....??? I mean, it looks like I could fit in that glass box!

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
That hamorii enclosure can be easily fixed. Just put a 'false ceiling' in it of glass that is like two times DLS of the spider from the floor. That way, it will still be visible for the public but has less chance of falling to its death.
I wish zoos would think it through before acquiring new types of animals...

Paiige

Arachnobaron
That is awful :arghh: Though you worded it well, hopefully they'll receive it well!

petkokc

Arachnosquire
I also contacted main Croatian ZOO, they had L. parahybana labeled as B. albopilosum....I just couldn't let it slide.
They responded the next day, saying that they will investigate. Will go there again next month and see if they actually changed it :D