??????Eggsac Size Question??????

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well, I'm trying to figure out what species of t that I would like to breed in the future, and one of my concerns is eggsac size. I don't want to separate 1000+ s'lings, so I can definately say that I won't ever breed L. parahybana! I don't believe in culling spiders.

The speceies that I would consider breeding in the future are:

Acanthoscurria geniculata
Acanthoscurria juruenicola
Avicularia minitrix
Avicularia versicolor
Brachypelma smithi
Brachypelma boehmei
Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens
Cyclosternum fasciatum
Lasiodora cristata
Megaphobema mesomelas

To all you breeders out there, what are the typical eggsac yields on each of these species?

Thanks

Jon

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Of those you've listed, I've been told that Lasiodora have the kind of yields you want to avoid. Avicularia supposedly have small eggsacs.. but this is all second hand info, some of the succesful breeders can probably help you out more.

Bill

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Makes me wonder what to expect with the two pairs I now have.
Waiting to see the tallies. :)

Swifty

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
A few numbers...

These are not exact #'s but generally...

Acanthoscurria geniculata= 800-1200+
Acanthoscurria juruenicola= 800-1200+
Avicularia minitrix= 30-80+
Avicularia versicolor= 30-175+
Brachypelma smithi= 500-800+
Brachypelma boehmei= 500-800+
Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens= 50-200+
Cyclosternum fasciatum= 500-800+
Lasiodora cristata= 800-1200+
Megaphobema mesomelas= 50-125+

Swifty

ceaser68

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
wow

That was helpful i have considered breeding my h.lividum but it sounds like there are alot there too... maybe some day!

Swifty

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Re: wow

Originally posted by ceaser68
That was helpful i have considered breeding my h.lividum but it sounds like there are alot there too... maybe some day!
Actually H. lividum don't have real huge sacs, 50-200+, and not really the eaisiest to get good viable sacs, but not impossible either. My opinion is very high of this species, and I breed these every chance I get.

Swifty

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What about the following species:

A. seemanni
A. avicularia
B. albopilosum
B. angustum
G. rosea
T. blondi

Thanks!

kellygirl

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Re: Re: wow

Originally posted by Swifty
Actually H. lividum don't have real huge sacs, 50-200+, and not really the eaisiest to get good viable sacs, but not impossible either. My opinion is very high of this species, and I breed these every chance I get.

Swifty
Kelly,
My H. lividum eggsac is about 1 1/4" at most, maybe less.
Its been with mom for aprox. 3 weeks. When would you pull it?
And any advise on a good way to do it. The substrate is 8" deep.
I do have a hole drilled in the bottom where the burrow ends, with a threaded plug in it.
I cant work out how to get mom away from the sac.. If I could get her to the surface, I could plug to hole and remove the sac from the bottom.
Any ideas?

Thanks,
Ernie

Swifty

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by kellygirl
What about the following species:

A. seemanni
A. avicularia
B. albopilosum
B. angustum
G. rosea
T. blondi

Thanks!

kellygirl
A. seemanni= 200-600+
A. avicularia= 50-175+
B. albopilosum= 500-1000+
B. angustum= 400-800+
G. rosea= 200-600+
T. blondi= 50-125+

Swifty

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Re: Re: Re: wow

Originally posted by MrT
Kelly,
My H. lividum eggsac is about 1 1/4" at most, maybe less.
Its been with mom for aprox. 3 weeks. When would you pull it?
And any advise on a good way to do it. The substrate is 8" deep.
I do have a hole drilled in the bottom where the burrow ends, with a threaded plug in it.
I cant work out how to get mom away from the sac.. If I could get her to the surface, I could plug to hole and remove the sac from the bottom.
Any ideas?

Thanks,
Ernie
Hi Ernie, I usually wait 30 days before pulling eggsacs, basically because, at this stage, most species have "budded" (molted first time, from eggs to eggs with legs), and can be successfully incubated.
As far as removeing the eggsac, I understand the task at hand, and try not to worry if she doesn't like it, so I pretty much dig down close to her burrow, come in from the side, and using a pair of forceps to push her away, and a pair to retrieve the sac, I take it, very gently, but I don't worry about destroying her burrow, because at this point, my first priority, is getting the sac in good shape, without hurting the female.
Afterwards, I usually set her back up, but usually I dump her soil, and start all over. She gets over the robbery, and begins shortly to do what H. lividum do best...dig.

Swifty

ceaser68

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Cool thanks alot kelly maybe i'll check around for a male.. or do you have one for sale ??