Eggsac Question?

Tangled WWWeb

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
This morning I found my L. difficilis in the act of destroying her eggsac after 24 days of blissful motherhood.

Upon examination, I found many "eggs with legs," although the outside of the eggsac was more or less destroyed. Only a very small percentage of the eggs were actually bad, aside from those that were damaged by the female.

I was able to salvage most of the clutch, and transferred the eggs to a nylon hammock, suspended over moist vermiculite in a deli container.

Has anyone else ever used this method before? Any insight would be greatly appreciated...

Last edited:

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Dang new worlds!

I normally pull the eggsacs at the eggs w/legs stage myself. Better to be safe.
If you see the postembryos (eggs w/legs), then you should be good. Just up the humidty a bit. Since I use paper towel as a make shift hammock, when the eggsw/legs darken up, I will usually spray the outer perimeter of the hammock.
There is usually no worries at this point. Mites could be a problem if you allow any dead or undeveloped goodies in there. Mites will pass thru nylons. This is why I use paper towel.
good luck

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
JP,
That is so bad...I'm sorry..:( Good luck with the remaining babies..I'll keep my fingers crossed for you..

Peace,
Gillian

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I've also used this method, and like LaRiz says, it works well. I'm not sure why they tear up a perfectly good eggsac either :?

Tangled WWWeb

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Thanks again everyone. I carefully switched them over to paper towel as you suggested LaRiz.