Eggsac Question

belewfripp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My wife visited the local store we get most of our Ts and supplies from, and they had a G. rosea drop an eggsac. They gave it to her to bring home, with the agreement that if I can hatch them out (big if, I've failed on 4 other occasions) I'll split them with the store 50/50. It is quite the fresh eggsac, it was made sometime after my last visit, which was a week ago. I wanted to make sure mama rosehair had had enough time to move it around, etc. for the eggs to form properly (had a lividum that abandoned its eggsac early and the whole thing turned to mush).

Inside, I found the eggs were all well-formed, but they were black and shiny instead of the rather opaque yellow I'm used to seeing. It seems I remember Marshall saying in his book that black eggs are infertile, but I can't remember. Anyone know?

Adrian

toan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i'm no expert but I do not know of black rosea eggs. it's probably bad but the "blackness" should be due to decay as opossed to "infertile."

Toan

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm hatching a Roesa eggsac now.
I took them from the female about a month ago. I cut open the sac the same day and they were opaque yellow like you've seen before.

They are doing fine, this week their starting to show spinnerets.
Now they look like eggs with legs and spinnerets.:)

Ernie

gphx

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Black pearls

The black pearls are definitely not the eggs you want. Sometimes this will happen if they are infertile. Other times it can happen if the egg sac is exposed to temperature or humidity extremes. While adults can withstand variances in those conditions almost indefinitely, sometimes a lack of humidity for a brief period can dessicate an egg sac, and a prolonged period of cold or even a brief period of high heat can prevent them from developing at all. I have a P. regalis that likes to lay egg sacs unobserved. Sometimes her egg sacs are half black pearls and half white pearls .

Nothing beats spotting an egg sac early and incubating it for complete atmospheric control and consistent results.