eggs with legs question

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Any others out there whitness their eggs with legs roll over and start eating eachother? I knew it might be possible, but this is the first time I have seen it with my eggs. Hours after the eggs popped into eggs with legs they are grazing on their brothers and sisters.
Just curious I guess to see if anyone else has seen this.

All my other sacs I just never really noticed I guess. Sucks its happening but what are you going to do, its nature. :eek:

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Any others out there whitness their eggs with legs roll over and start eating eachother? I knew it might be possible, but this is the first time I have seen it with my eggs. Hours after the eggs popped into eggs with legs they are grazing on their brothers and sisters.
Just curious I guess to see if anyone else has seen this.

All my other sacs I just never really noticed I guess. Sucks its happening but what are you going to do, its nature. :eek:

Send me the pics, or post them here. Also you could try seperating all 1000+ slings. :eek:

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ya seperate all 1000+ slings.... what a nightmare that would be. I dont have my vials yet anyway I am a bit behind at the moment. :8o

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ya seperate all 1000+ slings.... what a nightmare that would be. I dont have my vials yet anyway I am a bit behind at the moment. :8o
Haha just messing, Pics, Pics, Pics! I saw em before any of you lol! :p

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ok here they are, my slow connection was messing with me and tempting me to chuck the computer out the window.
They are the best I could do with my crappy camera.

TTstinger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have heard it can happen but mostly when they are a bit older. Are you sure they are EATING the others or just maybe resting on them?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have heard it can happen but mostly when they are a bit older. Are you sure they are EATING the others or just maybe resting on them?
Oh 100% positive. It does not take them long to eat an egg ither. I tried for a bit to flip them on their back and keep them away from eachother, but they are determined so I am just going to let it happen.
heck here were 1100+ to start so at least ill be somewhat more managable.

Last edited:

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
That's weird, never heard about that happening before. Especially since they look pretty full 'n chunky enough as it is, hehe. Oh well, survival of the fittest I suppose. Are those the smithis you've been incubating?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yep smithis they are. I have a second sac 10 days behind this one. Both viable. Both looking to have counts over 1000. So dog eat dog. I can live with a bit less work, I am just freaking happy I got them to produce again.

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
never heard of smithi nymphs cannablising each other but i think martin huber witnessed this with halpopelma.

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
my a. versicolor eggs with legs ate the eggs that did not develop. do yours eat their developed brethren or those eggs that did not (yet) develop? maybe the eggs being eaten arn't fertile...

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
maybe the eggs being eaten arn't fertile...
I dont think they are being pickey, I just tried to photograph two little guys one beign eaten by the other.

will those who ate others develop better?
I imagine so, they are aquiring more nutrition then the rest that don't eat something.

DrAce

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Until they eat something, they're isolated systems. What your seeing could be triggered by the large numbers of them around... if they were spaced a little more it might stop.

I've never had the pleasure of examining a clutch of spider eggs (although I dearly want to). I just watch little one-cell mammalian embryos turn to 2-cells. How mobile are the actively eating ones?

WyvernsLair

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Can you get some plastic condiment cups and break them down into smaller groupings.?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The active eating ones are not that mobile at all. They seem to have just rolled back and forth till they found someone to latch onto and suck dry....

I had the clutch seperated into two coffee filters with almost 600 in each. So last night I put them in a much bigger setup. Ill post pics soon. I also seperated a few into small cups alone. Those guys are doing just fine. Id seperate them all but I might go crazy, to seperate them at such a small stage I had to take a tooth pick, dip it in water and then touch an egg with legs then slowly lift up till I could get the litte cup under it, then spin the tooth pick a bit till the egg fell 1cm to the papertowl in its own cup. Seperating 10 of them too me 25 minutes.
I will have more pics soon.
I found that most of the ones that I flipped on their backs have not tried to eat anything.
Maybe cannabilism at this stage is prevented by the mothers rotation while they are in the sac. Just a guess.

DrAce

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
That's kinda what I suspected... they're not very mobile and they are being opportunistic about what they can roll into. Others may not have noticed it because they've not had as many as you. In the wild, they might be disrupted by the Mum, or they just do suck away on the siblings untill much fewer remain.

If you put a little more space between the eating ones, then you'd have a much higher success rate, I think. Mind you, that's gonna take some time.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Trust me this tedious work with a tooth pick warrents breaks every 10 minutes.
Ill have other sacs soon to distract me. But this is interesting. Maybe on my second sac ill seperate 10 or so from the start and see how they develope.
Grr I got to get some Ts in the mail ill post pics when I get back.

Varden

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I had this happen with my B. sabulosum. I thought, like DrAce, that this could be a result of too much crowding. So I've spaced my larger sacs into more deli cups to finish incubation. With the B. sabs, I noticed three nymphs that had rolled onto one of their unfortunate siblings and all three were snacking on the one.