egg sack gender equality...

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Though a comprehensive study would have to be done on each species, from eggs with legs to adulthood for 100% proof : I was wondering. Since male T's live a shorter life span, and seem rather disposable after mating :

What's the ratio from male to female in the average eggs sack ?

Considering that females live three times longer, and the males are more vunerable on the move for females, and sometimes eaten :(. You would think the average egg sack would be 70% males.

Does anyone know for sure ???

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I dont think there is a preset outcome....... I have had some sacs have a lot more females then males and vice versa. That large of a scale study would make my brain hurt though :D

jr47

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
dont know about spiders but with snakes temp's have everything to do with male or female. if i remember right, higher temps make for more female and lower temps you get males. dont know if it would make a difference with t's or not but may be interesting to see if there is any information out there about it.

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
dont know about spiders but with snakes temp's have everything to do with male or female. if i remember right, higher temps make for more female and lower temps you get males. dont know if it would make a difference with t's or not but may be interesting to see if there is any information out there about it.
From what I hve heard, the answer to your question is "no". Temp. doesn't assign gender in T's

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I dont think there is a preset outcome....... I have had some sacs have a lot more females then males and vice versa. That large of a scale study would make my brain hurt though :D
How about sacs from the same female. Was the ratio the same each mating ?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I dont think a long term study of the same female and multiple sacs has even been conducted. In regards to sex ratio at least.

Aurelia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The only way to produce male and female sperm is during the actual production of the sperm. So I'd guess that if you kept the male in cooler temperatures you would produce more males instead of keeping the eggsack at cooler temperatures; by then the egg and sperm would have already combined.

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
I'm not too experienced at this, but my guess would always be 50/50 when it comes to likelihood. Any difference and a population imbalance would occur, would it not? Of course there's gonna be one gender that's more than the other in an individual sack, but just overall, I think it'd be pretty darn close. Contradict me if you'd like. :p

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Many of the more experienced breeders on here have told me that the ratio is usually 50/50. Some people seem to get more males than others, some people get more females than other people but the ratio is apparrently 50/50.

maarrrrr

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ive read that sing blue sacs always produce very few females compared to the males.

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
id imagine most breeders dont raise up all there slings from the sac to the point where they can sex them as male/female.it would be very interesting to see a study on wether or not temps could play a role in sex selection

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
id imagine most breeders dont raise up all there slings from the sac to the point where they can sex them as male/female.it would be very interesting to see a study on wether or not temps could play a role in sex selection
I'd imagine they keep track of their customers.

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Either way, I'd imagine that any given breeder has raised their own fair share of spiders up from slings over the years. If anyone were qualified to answer the question, it would be the aforementioned breeders I've talked to because of the sheer volume of spiders they deal with on an everyday basis. Kelly Swift runs a free sexing service, and I think he *might* have been the person who originally told me that. Either that, or Code Monkey. I know it was either a moderator or a breeder.

Look at people's profiles, as well as the sex me threads. This should give you a close idea. Questions like this tend to be asked to push other people into doing the footwork, so until someone actually tallies up the stats from the sex me threads (not counting the unclear ones), counts gender ratios in people's collection and plans and carries out their own extensive study between the dozen or so most popular pet species in both the old world and new there's no clear answer but what people who deal with hundreds of spiders on an every day basis find for their own collections.

It's mental masturbation and this is the closest to the climax you're gonna get ;)

Last edited:

jr47

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i may be wrong but it seems this kind of info seems easy to find with most things like reptiles but unless im looking in the wrong places im not finding a whole lot on t's. which is why at times i ask stupid questions. just in hopes that someone can point me in the right direction. there are times i spend hours reading through sites and never finding what i want . it gets very frustrateing. and many times i know its just a case of useing the right key word. but some of us are just learning and looking to you folks that seem to have the answers.

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
It's mental masturbation and this is the closest to the climax you're gonna get
haha lol.didnt someone in the us working on aphonopelma raise up a whole eggsac to adult hood in order to study them?

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I haven't heard of it, but I also don't keep up on things as well as I should. This wouldn't surprise me.

As far as I know, stuff like this hasn't been extensively studied. Stuff like this would also be very difficult to study, especially on a forum website.

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Questions like this tend to be asked to push other people into doing the footwork, so until someone actually tallies up the stats from the sex me threads (not counting the unclear ones), counts gender ratios in people's collection and plans and carries out their own extensive study between the dozen or so most popular pet species in both the old world and new there's no clear answer but what people who deal with hundreds of spiders on an every day basis find for their own collections.
;)
Busted !

I was hoping someone like Codemonkey had already done this research, or at least had a reference for me to find it...