egg sac?

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i have s spider that i caught a little while ago. i think it is an amaurbius ferox. it had a large abdomen and i was thinking it was gravid. and this morning she had a clump of web she is working on. it isnt in a circle though it is kind of flatish ovalish. could she be in the process of making an egg sac?

j-boy

Arachnopeon
Yeah, that is what mine did. To be sure, later see if she is over it protecting it and making more web and is she is more aggresive. That is what mine did.

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ya she was making web in like the middle and top of her encloser and wen i accidentaly tapped the container she ran to the egg sac. do i need to pull it out at some time as if it is a tarantula. and if so how long do i wait?

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i read that the babies eat the mom when they are born and befor that the mom lays more eggs for them to also feed on. is this true?

stonemantis

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i read that the babies eat the mom when they are born and befor that the mom lays more eggs for them to also feed on. is this true?
First the mom lays an eggsac and guards it. Then she makes another eggsac for the offspring to eat. Then she offers herself to the offspring and they eat her.

Why they do it? Unknown to me. This species does do it though IME in the past.

j-boy

Arachnopeon
you could just leave her with the eggs. When they hatch she wont eat them. I kept them all till they were about 2 cm and them let them go in a good place out side and they are still out there! :)

jsloan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Can you post some pictures of this spider?