Eco Earth

Legacy

Arachnopeon
I am awaiting my new A. Geniculata this Wednesday and it will be my first pet T.. I have a full bag of Eco Earth loose coco fiber substrate and was curious as to what you all thought in regards to this being a reasonable substrate for this particular species.. Again I have an Acanthoscurria Geniculata and a bag of Eco Earth with loose coco fiber substrate.. Any and all responses/replies will be acknowledged and deeply appreciated!! Thank you!!!

Gnat

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
in my experience and T keeping knowledge Eco Earth is a great sub to use. the question to be answered is how wet to keep it, i have no exp. with this species so i cant give any other advice with it. i do use coco fiber substrate for all of my inverts and have had no problems with any of them due to substrate issues

gambite

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
I use Coco fiber for just about all my terrestrial animals, T's included, and have never had any trouble at all.

imatroll

Arachnopeon
Eco Earth is one of the only- no- THE only substrate I use for terrestrial Ts. It'll work fine.

skar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Eco earth should be fine, I would personally mix a lil bit of vermiculite and slightly dampen it at first, if your genic wants to dig it will support it better.

Legacy

Arachnopeon
Thank you all... I deeply appreciate all the help.. And I'm sure my new T will appreciate it as well!!!!

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I found that it doesn't work well for the tarantulas that prefer more damp substrate. It dries out very quickly and if you keep it wet it grows mold. I use it in enclosures that are bone dry except for the water dish and it works fine. I use 100% organic peat in my geniculata's enclosure and it works great! It stays moist and doesn't mold. The pothos I planted in there likes it too

Legacy

Arachnopeon
so what are your takes on heating the bagged, prepared eco-earth in the microwave? I hear different opinions on the topic.. and if so, then at what length of time should I heat it up in the microwave?